Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Spar Pulley Bracket Hardware Stack

Default Rear Spar Pulley Bracket Hardware Stack

Building the CC EX High GWT Wing: Could someone give a solution to a problem I have with the Rear Spar Pulley Bracket hardware stack on both wings. It calls for an AN3-7 bolt, two AN960-10L washers and AN310-3/AN380-2-2 castellated nut w/ cotter pin. I'm finding on both wings that the nut has to be torqued down so tight to open the cotter pin hole that the pulley will not rotate.

The washers are the thinnest I find in the kit and I don't think I should leave them off. What's the correct solution?

Jim Morrical

Screenshot 2016-07-03 17.36.31.jpg

Last edited by jmorrical; 07-03-2016 at 03:56 PM.

Default Rear Spar Pulley Bracket Hardware Stack

You will find that the bracket is not the right angle and you need to torque the assembly over to get it to the correct alignment. Pulley isn't parallel to the bracket. Like the hole is in the wrong place. That solved the issue for me. It is flexible enough to do it. Hope that makes sense.

I pried it with an awl or a long bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TroyBranch; 07-03-2016 at 04:10 PM.

Default Re: Rear Spar Pulley Bracket Hardware Stack

Troy,
    I'm not sure you understand my problem. I can't get the cotter pin thru the hole in the bolt except that I torque the nut down so tightly that the pulley won't turn in the bracket. I think I need a longer bolt.

Jim Morrical

Yes, but make sure the assembly is aligned properly. Mine wasn't and created this issue. If it is aligned, eliminate the washer at the bolt head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noticed the same thing. Use a longer bolt. I found the alignment of the pulley to be spot on and did not have to torque the bracket.

Was a longer bolt found in the kit somewhere or did Mitch send one?

Jim Morrical

You should have an AN3-8 in the kit but it might take away from something else down the road?? As complete as the kit is sometimes it's easier to keep a list and just order $5 worth of hardware from Aircraft Spruce when you need it. When I got down to the end I had to make a few trips to my local shops AN hardware bin.

Jim,
    Same for me.
    Bracket holes are lined up but using washers AN960-10L and bolt AN3-7 leads to over tightening to get cotter pin in hole.
    Removing the AN960-10L from under the bolt head cures this.
    Is this acceptable or do I need a longer bolt?
    David

I don't think you want to leave a washer off a stack shown in a diagram. I've briefly looked in the Aviation Maintenance Tech Handbook-General and AC 43.13-1B Acceptable Methods and Practices and didn't find any guidance. On page 24 of my High GWT Wing there is an exoneration in RED about washer stack ups. Generally it says you can add a washer or change washers size when called for but no more than two washers will be used. And that the width of a washer shown can be changed for proper thread show. It doesn't show any option to leave a washer off when "called'.

I checked my wing, fuselage and finish kit inventories for an AN3-8. There aren't any. I wonder what they are doing on the floor at CubCrafters?

Cubrath where do I find a local AN source? I have been asking Mitch to send one or two here and there when I'm short. I have an email off to Mitch and I'll let you know what he says.

Jim Morrical
    Last edited by jmorrical; 08-19-2016 at 09:05 AM.

Here's what Mitch says about the pulley bracket hardware:

"For the purpose of installing the bracket, that is the correct bolt. When it gets reinstalled with the cable in it during final assembly, you will remove some material from each side of the pulley that will allow it to spin free. That is how we do it at the factory."

Jim Morrical