Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amphib Floats

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Amphib Floats

Is there any other amphib floats available other than the Baumanns to raise the gross weight? Montanna's?? What is maximum gross wieght on amphibs?

Default Re: Amphib Floats

If you're building a kit then you can use any float/amphib. If you intend to set your gross weight at 1865 lbs then you'd probably want a 2,000 lb float. I'm not aware of any manufacturer making an install kit (struts etc.) for the Carbon Cub airframe other than Baumann but that's not to say it couldn't be done. I'd start checking around with all the manufacturers and see if they've done any word. The Carbon Cub airframe is gaining popularity quickly so perhaps you could talk a manufacturer into working with you to develop the install kit.
    Randy Lervold

I could be remembering this wrong but doesn't Rick Orchard out of Idaho have Montana Float amphibs on his Carbon Cub EX?... I don't recall what the gross weight of the floats were, I've never seen them as they were installed after I last saw the airplane but I think he took it to Montana to have them installed....

Pete D.

Hi guys, I have my experimental carbon cub on Montana 2100s. I'm using a gross weight of 2000 lbs and that is more than you can stuff in the plane. The floats work great( they look like old school EDOs) and the plane weighs about 1225 on amphibs. Kieth at Montana floats is great to work with and has all the install data from my plane so I'm positive he could build a rigging kit. I have seen the Baumans and my floats are substantially bigger but not quite as big and heavy as the whip 2100s and MUCH cheaper. The float was designed for an Aircam and are a great size for our application. I owned a Topcub on whips and this plane is in a different league when it comes to performance. Hope that helps, Rick

I was in Libby Montana a couple of weeks ago for a high school basketball tournament (two sons in b-ball) and talked to the guys at Montana Float. I looked at their 2200 amphib. kit. They have all of the specs they need to make fittings and rigging for the Carbon Cub. They make a very nice float as both a finished product or as a kit.

I thought this would be another fun project once my CC EX kit is finished.

Hi guys, I have Montana amphib floats on my carbon cub ex. They are 2200's and they work great. I'm using 2000 As a gross weight and the floats work great. Contact Kieth at Montana Floats in Libby , Montana. He's a good guy and very knowledgable.
    Cheers, Rick

I fly my CCEx out of Driggs, Idaho, and would LOVE to have amphibs - what's the cost or the 2200's, and how hard are they to install?

Quote Originally Posted by rorch View Post
    Hi guys, I have Montana amphib floats on my carbon cub ex. They are 2200's and they work great. I'm using 2000 As a gross weight and the floats work great. Contact Kieth at Montana Floats in Libby , Montana. He's a good guy and very knowledgable.
    Cheers, Rick

1. What’s the name of the guy
    2. What’s the name of the FBO

Quote Originally Posted by Jcmcmurray View Post
    1. What’s the name of the guy NO IDEA
    2. What’s the name of the FBO
    Volvo Aviation 863-655-6455
    Id be surprised if Mead ever even had one.
    Chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

We are working with Mead Floats in Sebring, FL in the development of an install kit for their Mead 1430 LSA Amphib. The float is all carbon-fiber, and obviously, very light weight. If you aren't flying your airplane as LSA, Mead also makes a 2200 carbon fiber float.

We expect to have the install kit completed, and the first Carbon Cub up on the Meads by the end of January. See this attachment for more information. Mead Float Report Rev B.pdf

Give me a call if you would like to discuss.

Chip

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA