Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Normal oil usage for Carbon cub 340 stroker?

Default Normal oil usage for Carbon cub 340 stroker?

Was just wondering what other pilots are finding their normal oil consumption to be for the 340 stroker after the 50 hr breakin period and after switching from mineral oil ?

Default Re: Normal oil usage for Carbon cub 340 stroker?

Normal Lycoming (ECI) oil consumption should be 8-12 hours per quart. That said, Lycoming has a formula they use to compute maximum acceptable oil consumption that for an O-320 it works aout to about 4.7 hrs/qt. If you're above about 6 hrs/qt I'd say you're good. Remember that the oil level is different on the CC340, try to keep it at 5-6 qts, much over that and it is blown out the breather and into the exhaust.
    Randy Lervold

Hi All, I just checked my usage stats and found I am using 1qt per 7.5 hrs. I have 68 hours on the motor and measured beginning at 39 hours after full break in. So all looks good. Thanks for the suggested stats Randy

Wow Gary, you are doing some flying! Must be the sunny blue sky weather in Florida!

Geo

Yep for sure Geo and now at 111hrs and counitng. Still same oil consumption and simply love this engine! . Regards Gary

Quote Originally Posted by glickle View Post
    Yep for sure Geo and now at 111hrs and counitng. Still same oil consumption and simply love this engine! . Regards Gary
    I'm winning 119 hours on my CC. I'm with you its a nice engine a quart every 10 hours or so last 25 hours.

Blu

Quote Originally Posted by fencer View Post
    I'm winning 119 hours on my CC. I'm with you its a nice engine a quart every 10 hours or so last 25 hours.

Blu
    I am so glad that you guys are using yours CCs! Gary has been or may still be up (from Florida) in WI getting amphibs installed!

I have 493 hours on my S1, really putting them on now that I am instructing....Geo
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not that this is a contest but agree with Geo great to see everyone using these planes. Geo you are also correct and I am just back Sunday from Bauman Floats in Wisconsin and now have a fresh set of boats under me. Its true that I have not seen any nmore that 2-3 mph difference at same throttle settings which is about the same as running the 26 inch tires, Truly amazing peformance. Will advise soon on performance of and on water performance but I see Jim R just posted a great video whcih speaks for itself. This is one amazing plane.

PS just passed 139 hrs since Dec 9th. Best Gary

the performance on floats sounds very encouraging. cant wait to get mine,they were ordered in Dec. Have fun at the splash in I am sure you will have the highest performing light sport amphib there. Are you SLSA or ELSA. Royce

Glad to read this thread today for first time. Have 57 hours on mine and it's burning a bit over a quart every 4 hours. The A&P who changed my oil found a leak at the quick drain. He thought the vibration or slight movement of the exhaust was bumping and causing the leak and cut that part shorter so it does not touch the quick drain. However, oil consumption remained the same.

Looking for answers.

Derwin