Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Normal oil usage for Carbon cub 340 stroker?

Default Re: Normal oil usage for Carbon cub 340 stroker?

mine was burning more mineral oil than regular oil so after 50 hrs and swithing to reg. oil. consumption dropped off. I think I am about 1 qt. every 6-8 hrs now. havent noticed any leaking at the quick drain. regards, Royce

Quote Originally Posted by derwin View Post
    Glad to read this thread today for first time. Have 57 hours on mine and it's burning a bit over a quart every 4 hours. The A&P who changed my oil found a leak at the quick drain. He thought the vibration or slight movement of the exhaust was bumping and causing the leak and cut that part shorter so it does not touch the quick drain. However, oil consumption remained the same.

Looking for answers.

Derwin
    Hello Derwin,
    Just curious at what level you keep the oil?
    Becky Teerink

Hi Derwin,

Welcome to the forum, glad to see you here! Please maintain contact with Becky Teerink on this, she is here to help during your warranty period (and after). Regarding oil consumption, remember that with our oil sump your target oil level should be 5 qts, add a qt when it gets to 4.5, but don't take it up to 6 or it will just blow the excess out the breather and give a false oil consumption impression.
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Teerink View Post
    Hello Derwin,
    Just curious at what level you keep the oil?
    Hi Becky--- We followed Randy's advice explicitly, not adding beyond 5.5 qts. When changing, we put in 5.5. In four hours we use a bit over a qt, running at 2300 RPM at low altitude.I ran the engine at higher RPM than normal during the first 25 hours before changing from mineral oil to Aeroshell AD 15W/50. Will follow whatever expert advice you all can offer. Don't mind putting in oil every 4 hours, just want to make sure I did not overdo the engine on break-in.

Derwin