Thread: Titan engine problem

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Titan engine problem

When I started on my annual inspection this week, I found a weak cylinder. 30 hours ago #4 measured 70/80 but this week was more like 30/80. The other 3 were good and unchanged over 30 hours. I ran the plane on the ground again and remeasured. No miraculous recovery. I then flew above my field for 45 minutes, and that didn't help either.
    The rush of air escaping the cylinder appears loudest from the carb. The engine has 450 hours.
    On a lark, I called Continental to pick someone's brain as to why a cylinder would wilt so suddenly and be leaking from an intake, in my opinion unusual. They put me through to Bobby Looper who worked on the development of the Titan. To say the least, he was helpful and informed. Immediately, he said, "pull all four valve covers and measure the push rod clearances".
    When I did that the three good cylinders are all within spec. (0.028/0.080). #4 is very tight on both intake and exhaust, maybe 0.012. Also, it takes quite a force on the push rod to get 0.012 compared to the others.
    Bobby told me there had been issues over time with the valve seats moving and reducing push rod clearance.
    Later this week I plan to examine #4 with a boroscope and then pull it.
    I will post when I know more. Jake #175
    Last edited by 1473C; 06-20-2016 at 05:25 AM.