Thread: Titan engine problem

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Titan engine problem

Quote Originally Posted by Cubrath View Post
    Jake,

Did you have a CHT/EGT monitor on that cylinder? Did you see any other signs other than low compressions at annual?

I guess the system worked, you found the problem before it found you!!
    No, my cub has no CHT/EGT. Since the last annual I had normal oil temps and pressures. Amazingly, it had great power, started without effort and pinned me to the seat on take off. That is up to last week, the last flight before tear down.
    One great aviation lesson out of all this to me is as follows. In my early years, I was assisting with 100 hour inspections on planes that were flown hard every day. Believe it or not, rarely a problem.
    This year, I forced myself to do an annual after 25 hours, because after all that is a joke! If I had chosen otherwise, the joke eventually would have been on me. In 45 years I have not seen more torture on a cylinder!
    Depending on your CHT/EGT probe location, they might or might not detect a hot intake valve. Usually, the probes are looking at the hot side (exhaust) of the cylinder. I do not have enough experience to know if exhaust gases escaping through an intake valve would reduce EGT. Someone who knows, please comment. Interesting question. Jake
    Last edited by 1473C; 06-22-2016 at 03:58 PM.