Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Shimmy on nosegear on Aerocet Amphibs

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Snowmass Village, CO.
    Posts
    2

    Default Shimmy on nosegear on Aerocet Amphibs

    I fly a carbon cub on Aerocet amphibs. Put on the floats this spring and found a more noticeable shimmy on the 2 wheels up front - they shimmy until 25mph then it stops. Anyone have any experience with this - I keep full aft on the the stick and no braking but doesn't seem to make a difference. Thanks for any ideas.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Springloaded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    jupiter FL.
    Posts
    797

    Default Re: Shimmy on nosegear on Aerocet Amphibs

    I have never had any shimmy problems on Aerocets. Flown four or five different Carbon Cubs with them. Wonder if front caster bolt is lose or something.Have you greased it lately? Check tension on front wheel bearings? I would pick the front wheels off the ground and check for anything lose or too tight.
    Chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Shimmy on nosegear on Aerocet Amphibs

    Quote Originally Posted by 73T View Post
    I fly a carbon cub on Aerocet amphibs. Put on the floats this spring and found a more noticeable shimmy on the 2 wheels up front - they shimmy until 25mph then it stops. Anyone have any experience with this - I keep full aft on the the stick and no braking but doesn't seem to make a difference. Thanks for any ideas.
    My Aerocets are just two years old. . have had no problems but have lately noticed a little difficulty turning the front
    around by hand. I am going to raise it and see if those front wheels are moving freely. I note that mine do not have the grease fitting that the ones they sent me this spring have. I was prepared to change them but I received a notice to not do anything yet. . .gotta follow that up and see what gives. WWW
    Wayne Wibby
    Carbon Cub #324
    Aerocet amphibs

  4. #4
    Senior Member Pete D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Yakima, WA
    Posts
    921

    Default Re: Shimmy on nosegear on Aerocet Amphibs

    Contact CubCrafter's support, make sure your floats are up to date on their SBs. There have been a couple of updates on the nose wheel assemblies, maybe a year ago or so.

    Jon Delamarter - Customer Support Manager
    support@cubcrafters.com - e-mail
    509.367.5200 - direct
    Pete Dougherty
    R & D Shop Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

  5. #5
    Senior Member Jon Delamarter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Yakima, WA
    Posts
    205

    Default Re: Shimmy on nosegear on Aerocet Amphibs

    Quote Originally Posted by 73T View Post
    I fly a carbon cub on Aerocet amphibs. Put on the floats this spring and found a more noticeable shimmy on the 2 wheels up front - they shimmy until 25mph then it stops. Anyone have any experience with this - I keep full aft on the the stick and no braking but doesn't seem to make a difference. Thanks for any ideas.
    Joel, your service letter kits shipped out today. Please let me know if you still have the problem after installing the new parts.

    Thanks,
    Jon Delamarter
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters, Inc.
    jond@cubcrafters.com
    Office (509)367-5200
    Cell (509)833-6993

  6. #6
    Senior Member Jon Delamarter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Yakima, WA
    Posts
    205

    Default Re: Shimmy on nosegear on Aerocet Amphibs

    Quote Originally Posted by wwibby View Post
    My Aerocets are just two years old. . have had no problems but have lately noticed a little difficulty turning the front
    around by hand. I am going to raise it and see if those front wheels are moving freely. I note that mine do not have the grease fitting that the ones they sent me this spring have. I was prepared to change them but I received a notice to not do anything yet. . .gotta follow that up and see what gives. WWW
    Wayne, the only part you need to hold off on is the float pump cover; it's got interference issues. Please install the other parts.

    Thanks,
    Jon Delamarter
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters, Inc.
    jond@cubcrafters.com
    Office (509)367-5200
    Cell (509)833-6993

  7. #7
    Senior Member Joseph206's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Liberty, NY
    Posts
    107

    Default Re: Shimmy on nosegear on Aerocet Amphibs

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    Contact CubCrafter's support, make sure your floats are up to date on their SBs. There have been a couple of updates on the nose wheel assemblies, maybe a year ago or so.

    Jon Delamarter - Customer Support Manager
    support@cubcrafters.com - e-mail
    509.367.5200 - direct
    Hi Jon,
    I bought Tim Martins Floats and the shimmy is bad also.
    They are updated with new nose wheel hardware.
    I replaced the nose tires
    still shimmy.
    Any thoughts?????
    Regards
    Joe

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Snowmass Village, CO.
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: Shimmy on nosegear on Aerocet Amphibs

    Since we installed the kit received about 1 year ago, we haven't had any shimmy issues. Knock on wood!

    Joel

  9. #9
    Senior Member Jon Delamarter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Yakima, WA
    Posts
    205

    Default Re: Shimmy on nosegear on Aerocet Amphibs

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph206 View Post
    Hi Jon,
    I bought Tim Martins Floats and the shimmy is bad also.
    They are updated with new nose wheel hardware.
    I replaced the nose tires
    still shimmy.
    Any thoughts?????
    Regards
    Joe
    Joe,

    On August 16th of last year, I shipped kits for Aerocet Service Letters 11, 12, 13, and 14. Can you confirm that those parts were all installed?

    Thanks,
    Jon Delamarter
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters, Inc.
    jond@cubcrafters.com
    Office (509)367-5200
    Cell (509)833-6993

  10. #10
    Senior Member Joseph206's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Liberty, NY
    Posts
    107

    Default Re: Shimmy on nosegear on Aerocet Amphibs

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Delamarter View Post
    Joe,

    On August 16th of last year, I shipped kits for Aerocet Service Letters 11, 12, 13, and 14. Can you confirm that those parts were all installed?

    Thanks,
    H Jon,
    Yes all of the Service Letters were installed.
    Do you think that we need to shim them tighter with plastic shims????

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •