Thread: rudder pedal springs

Default rudder pedal springs

Hi Guys,
    Just wondering, has any body come up with a solution to replace the springs on the rudder pedals, rubber bands, shock cord or some other solution to having to replace those almost impossible to get at broken springs.
    Regards Bruce
    EX 041 Aust.

Default Re: rudder pedal springs

Yes - a VERY SMALL mechanic!! I have one and he has no problem replacing them. But I agree; there should be an easier way to do this.

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

Quote Originally Posted by chipallen View Post
    Yes - a VERY SMALL mechanic!! I have one and he has no problem replacing them. But I agree; there should be an easier way to do this.
    This was our idea after we broke three springs and one back trying to crawl around the rudder pedals. It allows the spring to pivot at both ends instead of being trapped inside the adel clamp. If a spring does break, it is much easier to replace it. The ultimate solution would be a factory welded tab on the cross bar tubing where the spring could be attached and the adel clamp eliminated. We have EX #16, so they may already have a fix for this.

Here is a picture; the stainless tang is cut in half, ground to shape and drilled. It is then bolted to the adel clamp. We used a clamp where the rubber was thin enough to fit around the tubing without touching the firewall. Since we did this, we have not had another spring break. The final version looks better without the tool marks. It is important to place the adel clamp so that the rudder doesn't jamb it when the pedal is fully depressed. Some people have said they didn't bother with a spring, but that could be a problem if the pedals falls rearward and impedes applying the brakes.

20151215_131153.jpg20160215_142829.jpg

Hey DLR have you heard back from the boys in yakima if they in fact have a fix or are contemplating a fix for the Rudder Spring Issue?

Regards

Slow Flight

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Flight View Post
    Hey DLR have you heard back from the boys in yakima if they in fact have a fix or are contemplating a fix for the Rudder Spring Issue?

Regards

Slow Flight
    Replaced mine last week not really a big deal. Things just wear out.

Glenn 40M

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Flight View Post

Regards

Slow Flight
    Glad to see you found this place. The answer is no, probably because I did not ask them, however they read this forum and are aware of the problem. The builders have come up with a lot of small improvements like this that you may be able to incorporate into your build. This one is easy to do before the boot cowl is put on. CC would probably have to have an engineering department approval before they could do the same thing.

Bump^^^^^