Thread: Cubcrafters debuts new flagship: Xcub!

Default Cubcrafters debuts new flagship: Xcub!

CUBCRAFTERS DEBUTS NEW FLAGSHIP: XCUB

CubCrafters is introducing its new top-of-the-line aircraft, XCub. The new model received FAA Type Certification on June 2, 2016 and is available immediately.

XCub is lighter, faster and stronger than any aircraft in its category. XCub also provides a larger payload and greater range. Combined, these attributes fulfill a much wider mission profile compared to any other aircraft in this class.

“Six years ago I imagined a Part 23 certified Carbon Cub,” recalls Jim Richmond, CubCrafters’ CEO. “Our development team set out to design a Cub with terrific STOL capabilities, like our Carbon Cub LSA, but one that could travel faster and farther, while easily accommodating all of the gear that a pilot and passenger might want to carry for an extended journey. Now, after receiving Type Certification from FAA, I’m proud to say that XCub is much, much more than I had even hoped it would be.”

XCub boasts a cruising speed over 145 miles per hour at 75% power, and a useful load of up to 1,084 pounds. It is powered by a 180 horsepower Lycoming 0-360 that drives a Hartzell Trailblazer constant-speed composite propeller.

“Early on, when the first new airframe was produced, we discovered that our understanding of the Cub’s aerodynamics was incomplete,” says Richmond. “They fly nicely at 100 miles per hour, but at 140, everything changes!” The company embarked on an ambitious two-year aerodynamic analysis of the airframe and all flight surfaces. That analysis motivated a fresh perspective on what can be achieved at both the lowest and highest limits of the speed envelope. Airflow over the prototype cowl, fuselage and wings was smoothed considerably. The sleek aluminum spring landing gear adds as much as 14 mph at typical cruise settings. Composite fairings were added to the attach points of the landing gear and struts. All new flight controls and empennage were developed, and the finished aircraft features a distinctive and stylish composite dorsal fin. “As we flew at higher and higher speeds, we discovered that the dorsal provides welcome directional stability,” comments Patrick Horgan, CubCrafters’ Director of Engineering and Product Development. “Cross-country pilots will appreciate the stable response to turbulence as well.”

To refine handling, CubCrafters completely re-engineered the ailerons and the way pilots interact with them. Roll response was optimized by modifying the aileron airfoil and cove, and by re-positioning the hinge lines. This resulted in improved aileron response, lower lateral control loads, and natural centering. Traditional cables and pulleys were replaced with a solid push-rod system, eliminating cable stretch. The ailerons are crisp, quick, and light, complemented by equally pleasing pitch response and rudder authority. The resulting control harmony makes this the most balanced Cub ever.

CubCrafters’ well-known obsession with weight extends to their new airplane. Contemporary design technologies put weight only where it is needed. Extensive use of ultra-lightweight carbon composites, titanium and aluminum is evident throughout the new model.

The same modern engineering methods that make XCub light also make the aircraft strong. A CNC machined chromoly steel frame encloses occupants. Meeting the latest FAA Part 23, Amendment 62, certification standard, XCub features robust construction and may be flown at up to 2,300 lbs gross weight.

Pilot ergonomics received particular focus in XCub. The aircraft is designed to give pilot and passenger the comfort and confidence needed for long cross-country flights. High seat positioning, low side windows, the vast skylight, and a low-profile instrument panel assure a commanding view- a rare attribute in a taildragger. The stick rests comfortably at hand, exactly where the pilot wants it. The handsome panel flows intuitively with engine controls on the left and lighting controls on the right.

XCub is not just functional, but comfortable as well. “Veteran Cub drivers will be pleasantly surprised at their first encounter with the XCub cabin”, says Richmond. The Ahtanum Interior Package offers supple Scottish leather seats for both pilot and passenger to assure comfort and circulation during long cross-country flights. These seats feature perforated leather inserts over memory foam cushions, contrast stitching and embroidered logos. 12 storage areas surround the cabin in ultra-modern carbon fiber side and header panels. Two bottle holders, four USB and two 12V power ports are easily accessed by pilot and passenger. A unique electronics console faces the rear seat and holds personal devices such as telephones or tablets, allowing the passenger to follow navigation with Garmin Pilot, or watch a movie. Thoughtfully located in the aft baggage bulkhead is a hidden locker for a headset.

“XCub is not just a new airplane; it is a new platform upon which we can build different configurations to fulfill different missions,” says company President, Randy Lervold. An example of XCub’s configurability is presented in the landing gear options. “Owners may choose legacy gear to achieve the lightest possible weight, or spring gear that provides better aerodynamics and speed,” Lervold says.

“XCub checks every box on a bush pilot’s wish list,” Lervold continues, “STOL performance, useful load, speed and range. However, the thing I find special about XCub is the way it flies. With all new flight control surfaces, smooth push-pull aileron control rods and a host of exclusive aerodynamic enhancements, XCub exhibits precise handling and extraordinary flight harmony. This bird is a joy to fly, whether the journey is short or long.”

Along with their new Flagship model, CubCrafters is also announcing factory-authorized flight training programs in partnership with Tac Aero in Hood River, Oregon. Tac Aero will offer programs ranging from primary through transition training for specific CubCrafters models, including XCub.

CubCrafters is offering the first 20 XCubs in a limited Launch Edition. The Launch Edition has special introductory pricing and includes the Launch Edition paint scheme and branding, as well as a premium Ahtanum leather interior package at no extra charge. XCub is available from CubCrafters Certified Sales Centers.

For more information, visit xcub.com

For more information about flight training programs for CubCrafters aircraft, visit tacaero.com
    Randy Lervold

Default Re: Cubcrafters debuts new flagship: Xcub!

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    CUBCRAFTERS DEBUTS NEW FLAGSHIP: XCUB

CubCrafters is introducing its new top-of-the-line aircraft, XCub. The new model received FAA Type Certification on June 2, 2016 and is available immediately.
    I really like the concept of the XCub, and applaud the time and investment CubCrafters put into this airplane. To achieve Part 23 Type Certification shows the confidence CubCrafters has in it.

Randy, can you discuss the future of this airframe, and where you might take it? And are there any upgrades coming along for early adopters?
    Chuck Hull
    L70 Agua Dulce, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Randy, can you discuss the future of this airframe, and where you might take it? And are there any upgrades coming along for early adopters?
    Chuck,

There's no question we plan to continue development of the CC19 airframe. Over time we will of course be evaluating avionics options especially, but also powertrain options. We'll have Wipaire amphibs and straight floats approved by the end of the summer, and of course tires larger than the currently available 26" max size. Basically though I will be honest with you, we never stop evaluating everything and trying to improve it. Sometimes these ideas and initiatives are originated internally such as airframe improvements, and sometimes externally such as avionics or engine provides coming up with something new. As I am fond of saying, "we reserve the right to improve".

Just as with any other company our "product roadmap" is closely guarded -- just try to get the scoop on the next iPhone for example! Nothing happens fast though with the Part 23 world so once a vendor introduces something new it can take us up to a year or more to incorporate a new component into our type design, get the paperwork done, and get the FAA to approve it.

All that said we know we wouldn't be where we are today without much attention being paid to the "ownership experience". With that in mind we'll do everything we can to make any improvements retrofitable, but as you can understand that is not always possible. Also, I can assure you that we did absolutely everything we could to make sure the XCub was more than adequately mature at launch. You'll see, it's a great airplane that is a true joy to fly!!
    Randy Lervold

Hi Randy, I am very interested in the Xcub. I am planning a visit to Yakima in the spring (2017) to check it out. A few questions:

- Is it/can it be IFR rated?
    - If I visit will I be a able to do a test flight (assuming credentials check out etc.)

Many thanks

David

Quote Originally Posted by rabjohns View Post
    Hi Randy, I am very interested in the Xcub. I am planning a visit to Yakima in the spring (2017) to check it out. A few questions:

- Is it/can it be IFR rated?
    - If I visit will I be a able to do a test flight (assuming credentials check out etc.)

Many thanks

David
    Hi David,

We are always glad to host interested pilots here in Yakima -- it would be our pleasure to give you a tour and take an Xcub flight. Frankly, it's the best way to educate yourself about the product and the company and is far more effective than any media we can put up, so we really appreciate it when folks take the time to come to Yakima.

Regarding your questions:
    - The Xcub is not IFR certified. What many don't realize is that Part 23 Certification standards are "amended" periodically and the bar typically raised. Our Type Certificate was granted this year under the latest amendment, Amendment 62, and the requirements for IFR now include lightning protection and some other fairly onerous things that past aircraft did not have to comply with. We
    - With just a bit of advance notice we can absolutely do a test flight!
    Randy Lervold

Thank st Randy. I look forward to seeing you and the plane. PS Any plans to sell it in yellow

Quote Originally Posted by rabjohns View Post
    PS Any plans to sell it in yellow
    Sure, that's one of the standard colors. Check out the brand new paint scheme configurator, click on the "Standard" scheme and then "Solar" color theme... http://xcub.com/configure/
    Randy Lervold

Thanks. Must have missed that when the plane first came out. Sweet.

Brand new configurator, just posted on Monday I believe. We reserve the right to improve!
    Randy Lervold