Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Tips for pulling the CherryMax Rivets for Newbie

Default Wanted: Tips for pulling the CherryMax Rivets for Newbie

I'm using a CherryMax G27 hand puller and a pulling wedge block. Started the left wing and it is going well. Today I started to install the outboard aileron trailing edge rib and then the flap/aileron hanger rib.

I'm having trouble pulling the rivets that fasten the two parts to the spar. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Dan
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Default Re: Wanted: Tips for pulling the CherryMax Rivets for Newbie

Hi Dan, I haven't started by build yet but have been getting educated and I'm sure someone with more experience will step in here but just to share that the there are some great videos and resources on the EAA site. Here specifically is a short video on the cherrymax rivets http://eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=14259107001

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Thanks Dave. Yes the EAA is a wealth of information. I'm specifically looking for tool types/names to enable pulling close courters CM rivets, hopefully without spending big $$.

CM rivets are generally easy to remove, but I'm not in the business of removing, I want to install!!
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

I hear ya!! Did you get it figured out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Dan,

I am just beginning my wing build.

I purchased a used 704 gun with a straight head and also a new offset head on eBay. Recently a used gun with an offset head sold for ~$200 on eBay. That was a really great deal. I had already purchased my set up when that ad was placed.

I had contacted Gage Bilt prior to my eBay purchase. They do rent the 704 gun, but you must buy (or have) the head. They do not sell reconditioned or used products. The gun rental was reasonable if you could keep the rental time under two weeks. I opted to purchase, as I wanted no time pressure on any stage of the build.

I plan on offering mine for sale on this forum after my build is complete.

Hope this is helpful.

David

Dave, thanks for the information. I have researched the Gage Built but have decided to try cheap first. We will see how that works!

I did call Mitch and he mentioned that the Marson HP-2 ground down as shown in the manual works fine. So I have ordered one and will grind the heck out of it. I'll report back on success or failure.

Cheers,
    Dan
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Here is my journey on CheryMax Rivets: http://www.cubcraftersforums.com/sho...rry-Max-Rivets
    Last edited by jmorrical; 06-14-2016 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    Dave, thanks for the information. I have researched the Gage Built but have decided to try cheap first. We will see how that works!

I did call Mitch and he mentioned that the Marson HP-2 ground down as shown in the manual works fine. So I have ordered one and will grind the heck out of it. I'll report back on success or failure.

Cheers,
    Dan
    I got that one too and much to my surprise, it won't pull those 1/8th x 3/16" rivets for some reason. Am looking at having to get another nose and clamping piece I guess. They said it would pull 1/8" rivets as shipped but it won't grip those rivets for some reason.....just slides off. Otherwise, looks like it would have no problem fitting into that hard to reach area.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveembry View Post
    I got that one too and much to my surprise, it won't pull those 1/8th x 3/16" rivets for some reason. Am looking at having to get another nose and clamping piece I guess. They said it would pull 1/8" rivets as shipped but it won't grip those rivets for some reason.....just slides off. Otherwise, looks like it would have no problem fitting into that hard to reach area.
    After grinding a cheap rivet tool down to nothing, it was still not possible to get it straight into the tail ribs no matter what I did. I tried bending the rivet and still no good. It was REAL CLOSE to being perpendicular....but no cigar.

Finally I went to Lowes and picked up these little nuts. The smallest diameter I could find was the metric M3.50. I then slid just 1 of these nuts over the river stem and installed the rivets with no problems!! I guess that 0.10 thickness of the nut was enough to hold the pressure straight down on the rivet and make it work.

Hopefully this helps.

Ground down rivet tool with nut.jpgM3.5 nuts.jpg

I also bought the Marson HP-2 and ground it down. I was able to seat the rivets on the third try, but still not satisfied on the technique.

Another trick to do, like to nut, is to use the smallest washers in the kit and stack 4 of them.

One thing that didn't help was that the machined tail ribs are about 0.010 off of the spar. There is a gap (0.010") between the spar and the machined tail rib area where the CherryMax are install (both top and bottom). Not a flush fit.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL