Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Cub Sun Screen for Skylight

Default Carbon Cub Sun Screen for Skylight

To all the Carbon Cub owners in sunny climates!

I recently ran across a gentleman who has perfected a portable sun screen used by many commercial airline pilots in their aircraft to help block the strong sun rays they often get at altitude.

As many of you know who live in sunny climates, like here in Arizona, the summer sun beating down thru the skylight of our Carbon Cubs can be brutal, and I for one have been looking for a solution. But the solution can't involve totally blocking the view looking upwards.....

I worked out a few modifications with the gentleman, and have tested the end result in my Carbon Cub.

Its fantastic; it keeps out 86% of the Thermal and UVA radiation from the sun, yet allows the pilot to see up through the skylight with decent visibility. The upper (sun facing) surface is silver, and the lower (pilot facing) surface is a pleasing charcoal color, adding to the cool feel of the interior, even under bright sun. There are two parts to it; one on the skylight, and one on the upper 6" of the windscreen. He has even made two versions for us: one for Carbon Cubs with one forward vent, and the other for those who have two forward vents (like mine). The screens are fastened using heavy duty, clear suction cups, which are super easy to get off if you are flying on a cloudy day and wish to remove the screens.

I am thinking of having him make up a bunch of these screens, and want to throw it out to anyone interested. If you would like a set, let me know via email (rick@flysuncountry.com) and I will gather all the orders up and have them made.

The cost will be $105, which will include all taxes and shipping to your door. I will need to know whether you have one vent in front, or two!

Let me know if you are interested. I will post some pictures here to show you how they look in my Carbon Cub. I love them!

Rick

IMG_4461.jpgIMG_4462.jpgIMG_4463.jpgIMG_4464.jpg

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    CubCrafters Dealer for AZ/NM/UT/CO/southern WY
    www.suncountrycubs.com

Default Re: Carbon Cub Sun Screen for Skylight

A few guys use them down here. I flew one for a few hours. It was very nice not having the sun on you. But the visibility wasn't good for me. I could not see my buddys airplane through it at all. I ended up taking it off. Be nice if they made it retractable😄
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Chuck,
    agree, I would not leave it up there for any formation flying.... tight or loose. But its super easy to pop off and on. Not retractable, but the next best thing!

Rick

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    www.suncountrycubs.com

I live in W TX with plenty of sun. Count me in. Single front vent.

Thx, John C

Please send me an email at rick@flysuncountry.com with:

Name and address where you want it shipped
    email address and Phone number
    How many FORWARD vents you have. The rear vents do not affect the screen.

Thx, Rick

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    www.suncountrycubs.com

Rowe, NM; St. George Island, FL; Montgomery, AL

I'm in..one vent

Edit...email sent

Jim Harper

Ordered- One vent- Many Thanks.

Steve
    XCub: CCX-2300-0011
    SPOT X TRACKING: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/09SL

I dig it

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    www.suncountrycubs.com
    Last edited by Steve Y; 06-28-2016 at 03:02 PM.
    XCub: CCX-2300-0011
    SPOT X TRACKING: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/09SL

Received my CarbonCub Sun Screen a few days ago. Very nice! Thanks Rick Bosshardt for bringing it to our attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bosshardt View Post
    To all the Carbon Cub owners in sunny climates!

I recently ran across a gentleman who has perfected a portable sun screen used by many commercial airline pilots in their aircraft to help block the strong sun rays they often get at altitude.

As many of you know who live in sunny climates, like here in Arizona, the summer sun beating down thru the skylight of our Carbon Cubs can be brutal, and I for one have been looking for a solution. But the solution can't involve totally blocking the view looking upwards.....

I worked out a few modifications with the gentleman, and have tested the end result in my Carbon Cub.

Its fantastic; it keeps out 86% of the Thermal and UVA radiation from the sun, yet allows the pilot to see up through the skylight with decent visibility. The upper (sun facing) surface is silver, and the lower (pilot facing) surface is a pleasing charcoal color, adding to the cool feel of the interior, even under bright sun. There are two parts to it; one on the skylight, and one on the upper 6" of the windscreen. He has even made two versions for us: one for Carbon Cubs with one forward vent, and the other for those who have two forward vents (like mine). The screens are fastened using heavy duty, clear suction cups, which are super easy to get off if you are flying on a cloudy day and wish to remove the screens.

I am thinking of having him make up a bunch of these screens, and want to throw it out to anyone interested. If you would like a set, let me know via email (rick@flysuncountry.com) and I will gather all the orders up and have them made.

The cost will be $105, which will include all taxes and shipping to your door. I will need to know whether you have one vent in front, or two!

Let me know if you are interested. I will post some pictures here to show you how they look in my Carbon Cub. I love them!

Rick

IMG_4461.jpgIMG_4462.jpgIMG_4463.jpgIMG_4464.jpg
    Are these still available for order?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Pete
    ✈️CCK-1865-0078 N9PW
    Severna Park, MD W18