Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: On the home stretch.

Default Re: On the home stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by stede52 View Post
    Troy, just fyi, I think they want you to keep the CHTs below 400 for breakin.
    Really surprised to see the front chts so low.. I wonder if they are lean of peak, are you full rich? Full throttle? Also surprised to see oil temp that high, it is actually perfect but my oil temp is 140 until I cover 55% of my cooler. Is yours covered?

Quote Originally Posted by kemper28 View Post
    Really surprised to see the front chts so low.. I wonder if they are lean of peak, are you full rich? Full throttle? Also surprised to see oil temp that high, it is actually perfect but my oil temp is 140 until I cover 55% of my cooler. Is yours covered?
    I am surprised by the front ones too. I am full rich and not quite full throttle. I am going to put foil tape on the front cylinders to deflect the air over them and hopefully help the back. I never worry to much about cht, or egt spread for the first 10 hours. They will settle down. I do think the foil on the front will be a big help. I taped off half of my cooler, after reading all the posts. You want over 180 and not much more than 200. I got a nice temp on the oil for break in.

Troy,

Your picture looks like an exact copy of mine during the first few hours. I hated flying around with that CHT warning on but it does eventually go away!!

I also taped off 1/2 of my cooler to bring my temps up from 165 to 185, this was with an OAT of 55F. However, I flew a few days later when the OAT jumped to 83F. My oil temp spiked up to 225 with the same power settings on a 15 min flight. Obviously, oil temp is very dependent on OAT so if the OAT temp jumps you might want to take some of the tape off.

This is a shot after I added foil tape to the front cylinders to get the airflow over them. Makes a huge difference and I think everyone should do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post

This is a shot after I added foil tape to the front cylinders to get the airflow over them. Makes a huge difference and I think everyone should do this.

Nice. Can you post a picture maybe of how you placed the foil on the cylinders?

Troy,

Post a picture of how you taped it.

I will get a picture next time I am down. Basically it is on the ramp and up the large fins. Left side has less fins to tape. You want tape closing the gap so it has to go up and over the tape to go down.

This is a very high tech and a large expensive.....lol

Default On the home stretch.

I also just did this on each side. I am getting really nice even temps now at low power cruise. I am amazed at how fast it is with 31s on it.

Here is the numbers. I can't get this good of a spread on my injected IO 540.

Here it a high power cruise.

This is about as good is I can get it. Full throttle climb, everything stays cool at full rich.

Last edited by TroyBranch; 06-19-2016 at 06:38 AM.

Default On the home stretch.

Delete
    Last edited by TroyBranch; 06-18-2016 at 08:35 PM.