Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tailwheel steering

Default Tailwheel steering

I have only managed to get about 4 hours in my new airplane.
    It seems like we have had IFR conditions almost every day since it arrived. Bummer!
    I have noticed that the tailwheel steering on the ground is very "mushey" or "soft".
    Sharp turns require hard braking.
    After discussing this characteristic with two friends who own Cub's and have looked at my airplane, they think the problem is the extension springs used in the tailwheel assembly.
    They are both urging me to switch the springs to compression style springs.
    Am I the only one who thinks the steering is soft?
    I wonder why the factory chose extension springs?
    What's the downside to compression springs?
    Are compression springs available from the factory?
    I am sure there are reasons I don't understand but would like to be educated.
    Bill

Default Re: Tailwheel steering

Quote Originally Posted by seastar View Post
    I have only managed to get about 4 hours in my new airplane.
    It seems like we have had IFR conditions almost every day since it arrived. Bummer!
    I have noticed that the tailwheel steering on the ground is very "mushey" or "soft".
    Sharp turns require hard braking.
    After discussing this characteristic with two friends who own Cub's and have looked at my airplane, they think the problem is the extension springs used in the tailwheel assembly.
    They are both urging me to switch the springs to compression style springs.
    Am I the only one who thinks the steering is soft?
    I wonder why the factory chose extension springs?
    What's the downside to compression springs?
    Are compression springs available from the factory?
    I am sure there are reasons I don't understand but would like to be educated.
    Bill
    My airplane was hard to turn on the ground when it first arrived. Ben Hodges at California Cubs worked on it and as I recall added an extra link in the chain on both sides. It turns much better but still difficult to brake the tail wheel over for a sharp turn. I am sure Ben will be along with some thoughts.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Turbo
    Thanks for the input. I'm glad I'm not alone.
    Seems to me that adding a chain link would make the steering worse (softer)??
    Maybe he removed a link to add some extra tension to the system.

Randy
    Ben
    Do you have any comments or ideas???
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by seastar View Post
    Turbo
    Thanks for the input. I'm glad I'm not alone.
    Seems to me that adding a chain link would make the steering worse (softer)??
    Maybe he removed a link to add some extra tension to the system.

Randy
    Ben
    Do you have any comments or ideas???
    Bill
    Hi Bill,
    I understand that the steering on your aircraft feels less responsive than you would like. One would think that increasing the tension on the springs would give you more response in steering. However, when you increase the tension on the springs you increase the friction as both springs are pulling the assembly forward. That creates friction on the pivot point, which was not meant to take that load. This actually puts more friction in the system, and will make the steering less responsive.
    I will send you some chain links so that you can add a link and see if that helps. Thanks Bill! Becky

P.S. Also, I called Alaskan Bushwheel and they said to call and talk to Steve - phone # is 800-442-8473.
    Last edited by Becky Teerink; 05-19-2010 at 08:57 AM.
    Becky Teerink

Add a link it will help also you will learn to use the brakes to assist. Becky will be able to chime in and tell use if you have 5 or 3 tension springs. The tail wheel comes with 5 springs which makes it way too stiff. I know CC has started to remove the 2 extra tension springs at the factory. The tailwheel is built for a heavier airplane so it takes a little bit of loosening to get it right.
    Ben Hodges
    California Cubs
    www.californiacubs.com

Where are these 5 springs located that you are referring to? My ss Cub has only 1 spring on each side conecting the rudder's steering arm to the tailwheel.

Thanks, Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Californiacubs View Post
    Add a link it will help also you will learn to use the brakes to assist. Becky will be able to chime in and tell use if you have 5 or 3 tension springs. The tail wheel comes with 5 springs which makes it way too stiff. I know CC has started to remove the 2 extra tension springs at the factory. The tailwheel is built for a heavier airplane so it takes a little bit of loosening to get it right.

The springs are inside the assembly. If you unscrew the bottom castle nut the assembly comes apart. If you do this be careful to make sure you look closely as it comes apart so you can put it back together correctly.
    Ben Hodges
    California Cubs
    www.californiacubs.com

Ben: Have you tried the 1.75" suspension Pawnee spring on your tailwheel assembly yet? No weight is good, but it could be useful at that CG position along with the BBushwheel. There should be some combination of single/double suspension springs which will work well on rough or soft surfaces and help move single-pilot CG back a little. Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by Californiacubs View Post
    The springs are inside the assembly. If you unscrew the bottom castle nut the assembly comes apart. If you do this be careful to make sure you look closely as it comes apart so you can put it back together correctly.

**NOTE** Disassembling the tailwheel is not an owner/operator task. If you are having problems with your tailwheel, please call the factory so that we can assist you personally and specifically. Thanks.
    Becky Teerink