Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windshield install question.

Default Windshield install question.

From the manual.....

"Cut a 1/4” X 1 1/2” X 34” piece of plywood as shown in Photo 438. This will be used to set the position on the top of the windshield. Set the plywood on the top of the top of the wings a shown in Photo 438, the next page has a larger photo. The plywood should rest just above the top leading edge rivet on each wing.

Move the top of the windshield fore or aft as necessary to achieve this fit. Once you have it, clamp the side as shown and repeat on the opposite side. "

When both sides are clamped, clamp the top of the windshield to the upper windshield channel.

What fit??? Does the "fit" place the top of the windshield on, under, in front of or behind the 1/4 in plywood? What is being clamped and to what? Is there a side to side fit I need to worry about?

Finally, where does one find Gerbermask? What type does CC use? Is it really $160 for a 30' roll? That's the best I could find on the Internet for 15"x30' for ultra ll. Would a paint shop have it? My Home Depot doesn't.

Jake

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by c130jake; 05-01-2016 at 09:47 PM.
    Jake
    Finished CCEX N96FV!

Default Re: Windshield install question.

Jake, can't help you cause I'm not quite there yet

but if you buy that $160 thirty foot roll of Gerber mask, could I buy a couple feet from you? Figure two feet would be about ten bucks.

seriously, I had the same question.

Chuck

My understanding here is that the wood cross piece sets the windscreen so it is not to high or to low for the root gap seal closure to fit. The forward and aft is important to as it could also effect the fit of the closure. I plan to set the height with the wood and move it forward and aft until the closure plate fits the best.

Hopefully others before me chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    My understanding here is that the wood cross piece sets the windscreen so it is not to high or to low for the root gap seal closure to fit. The forward and aft is important to as it could also effect the fit of the closure. I plan to set the height with the wood and move it forward and aft until the closure plate fits the best.

Hopefully others before me chime in.
    http://www.midwestsign.com/

I found this company will sell less than a roll..

A couple suggestions that might help with the final fit and finish:

- make sure the aluminum trim pieces - that hold both sides of the windshield - meet the windows and door correctly. The position of the windshield effects this. Just make sure you pay close attention to this before drilling the TrickNuts in your bootcowl.
    - I wouldn't worry about getting Gerbermask. Tape on the boot cowl and GerberMask on the windshield from the factory should be plenty of protection.
    - once you're comfortable with the fit of the windshield make sure you POLISH the edges, and be careful handling. Otherwise you'll crack the windshield (from someone who had to buy a second one).

Good tips! I'm a week or two away from that project, so good timing. Thanks.

Jake,

You probably have it installed by now. Troy is right, the wood piece is to set the height for the fairings. Also, the manual says to mark the holes for the trix nut then drill. It is hard to center them with the big trix holes. The better way to do it is once the windshield is positioned clamp the side window trim pieces in place and drill your starter holes. It will get the spacing for the trix nuts perfect. If they are not right on it will make the install very difficult.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks, I will start tomorrow. I trimmed the windscreen down to the factory marks today and it is fitting pretty close. When the manual says to move it fwd and back and clamp the sides...do they mean the A-pillar sides or the side of the top? How much flex is allowed? Should I trim the window to get it to lie flat on the boot cowl without any flexing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Jake
    Finished CCEX N96FV!

If you clamp the A pillars it will stay put. I taped the wood strip across the top, it's amazing how little movement will raise or lower the windshield. Mine fit pretty tight across the boot cowl but it doesn't have to be perfect. I taped the bottom windshield in place then taped the liner over top of that before I drilled.

Got the windshield fit and final trim. Drilled the holes without cracking anything. Windshield liner went perfect on the right side but took a bunch of pressure to get it to fit well on the left side by the window. Not sure why. It looks even.

I tried to set a couple of test Trix nuts on some scrap after the #3 holes wouldn't fit. The couple I did on the scrap wouldn't go thru a #3 hole. (Close but no cigar) What am I doing wrong? A 7/32 uni-bit hole seemed perfect but the trix nut would spin when I tried to back out a screw I installed to check my work. I tried to re squeeze but no luck. I am using a pull rivet style trix nut puller.

Any suggestions? I think I will use nut plates on top of the windshield but I am at a loss for doing the windshield liner.

What did the successful builders do?

Thanks,

Jake

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Jake
    Finished CCEX N96FV!