Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windshield install question.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Windshield install question.

From the manual.....

"Cut a 1/4” X 1 1/2” X 34” piece of plywood as shown in Photo 438. This will be used to set the position on the top of the windshield. Set the plywood on the top of the top of the wings a shown in Photo 438, the next page has a larger photo. The plywood should rest just above the top leading edge rivet on each wing.

Move the top of the windshield fore or aft as necessary to achieve this fit. Once you have it, clamp the side as shown and repeat on the opposite side. "

When both sides are clamped, clamp the top of the windshield to the upper windshield channel.

What fit??? Does the "fit" place the top of the windshield on, under, in front of or behind the 1/4 in plywood? What is being clamped and to what? Is there a side to side fit I need to worry about?

Finally, where does one find Gerbermask? What type does CC use? Is it really $160 for a 30' roll? That's the best I could find on the Internet for 15"x30' for ultra ll. Would a paint shop have it? My Home Depot doesn't.

Jake

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by c130jake; 05-01-2016 at 09:47 PM.
    Jake
    Finished CCEX N96FV!

Default Re: Windshield install question.

Jake, can't help you cause I'm not quite there yet

but if you buy that $160 thirty foot roll of Gerber mask, could I buy a couple feet from you? Figure two feet would be about ten bucks.

seriously, I had the same question.

Chuck

Since this thread mentioned GerberMask and windscreens it seems like a good place to ask for help.

I have had my kit since 2015. Seven years later I finally get to the windscreen installation steps. The Gerbermask pulls off the windscreen cleanly in some areas, but more the 80% of it a hard dried glue residue remains on the acrylic glass.

IMG_5914.jpg

Pulling the paper leaves this hard dried glue. It's grainy and hard dried not sticky or tacky at all. I tired Goo Gone, WD40 and 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner with no success. On some trimmed scrap I used denatured alcohol and it cut the dried glue quickly. Before I moved forward with this I reached out to Kit Support. They referred me to Great Lakes Aero Products. I think they might have manufactured our windscreens. They gave the 'red light' to denatured alcohol and told me to soak the paper with 100% Mineral Spirits perhaps more than once. I have tried two days of their protocol soaking the Gerber mask paper several times, even overnight, with no success. The residue does not soften or come off with mineral spirits.

Last evening I tried this 3M Adhesive Remover. It softened the hard dried clue and I was able to remove it. I cleaned the glass with mild soapy water and flushed it with clean water. It didn't glaze or etch the plexiglass. Great Lakes Aero cautions using anything that is not expressly for acrylics saying I would ruin the windscreen.

Seems my options are to buy a new windscreen for $800+ or use something more aggressive than Great Lakes prescribes and take my chances. What would you do?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jmorrical; 03-22-2023 at 08:13 PM.
    Jim Morrical

My understanding here is that the wood cross piece sets the windscreen so it is not to high or to low for the root gap seal closure to fit. The forward and aft is important to as it could also effect the fit of the closure. I plan to set the height with the wood and move it forward and aft until the closure plate fits the best.

Hopefully others before me chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    My understanding here is that the wood cross piece sets the windscreen so it is not to high or to low for the root gap seal closure to fit. The forward and aft is important to as it could also effect the fit of the closure. I plan to set the height with the wood and move it forward and aft until the closure plate fits the best.

Hopefully others before me chime in.
    http://www.midwestsign.com/

I found this company will sell less than a roll..

I decided to use 3M Auto Adhesive Remover after trying several other choices. It seemed most aggressive yet not damaging to the acrylic plexiglas windscreen.

It took a 16 oz + aerosol can, but all the hard dried glue is off the windscreen. You must work it immediately as it is sprayed on before it evaporates or dries. I thought letting it soak a moment would help it work…not. Once I figured that out it came off well. After washing with a gentle soapy water and rinse the windscreen looks good, no glazing or discoloration.

The 100% mineral spirits Great Lakes Aero Products recommended was a useless two day trial waiting hopefully for results. Perhaps that would work on glue that was sticky or tacky. They also suggested following up with a couple applications in rotation of mineral spirits and isopropyl alcohol to clean the glass even after their warning about denatured alcohol??? I'm not sure what to make of that. I will final clean by hand buffing using Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze Professional Machine Glaze 3 as they suggested.

IMG_5930.jpg

IMG_5922.jpg

319548073_10162120948357506_6365769871532236674_n.jpg
    Last edited by jmorrical; 02-01-2023 at 01:23 PM.
    Jim Morrical

You might want to try something like this: https://uscutter.com/orange-peel-adhesive-remover/,
    it's used by vinyl sign installers to remove old left over adhesive from surfaces
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

A couple suggestions that might help with the final fit and finish:

- make sure the aluminum trim pieces - that hold both sides of the windshield - meet the windows and door correctly. The position of the windshield effects this. Just make sure you pay close attention to this before drilling the TrickNuts in your bootcowl.
    - I wouldn't worry about getting Gerbermask. Tape on the boot cowl and GerberMask on the windshield from the factory should be plenty of protection.
    - once you're comfortable with the fit of the windshield make sure you POLISH the edges, and be careful handling. Otherwise you'll crack the windshield (from someone who had to buy a second one).

Good tips! I'm a week or two away from that project, so good timing. Thanks.

Jake,

You probably have it installed by now. Troy is right, the wood piece is to set the height for the fairings. Also, the manual says to mark the holes for the trix nut then drill. It is hard to center them with the big trix holes. The better way to do it is once the windshield is positioned clamp the side window trim pieces in place and drill your starter holes. It will get the spacing for the trix nuts perfect. If they are not right on it will make the install very difficult.
    Attached Images Attached Images