Thread: tail wheel endorsement needed?

Default tail wheel endorsement needed?

Must a private pilot certificate holder obtain a tail wheel endorsement before operating a Carbon Cub as pilot in command? FAR 61.303 states that if a private pilot with a category and class (single engine airplane land, for example) holds a medical certificate, he may operate any light sport aircrarft in that category and class. Doesn't that suggest that no tailwheel endoresment is necessary?

Default Re: tail wheel endorsement needed?

Check 61.31, it has specific tailwheel info-

(i) Additional training required for operating tailwheel airplanes. (1) Except as provided in paragraph (i)(2) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of a tailwheel airplane unless that person has received and logged flight training from an authorized instructor in a tailwheel airplane and received an endorsement in the person's logbook from an authorized instructor who found the person proficient in the operation of a tailwheel airplane. The flight training must include at least the following maneuvers and procedures:
    (i) Normal and crosswind takeoffs and landings;
    (ii) Wheel landings (unless the manufacturer has recommended against such landings); and
    (iii) Go-around procedures.
    (2) The training and endorsement required by paragraph (i)(1) of this section is not required if the person logged pilot-in-command time in a tailwheel airplane before April 15, 1991.

Unless they've logged PIC time in a tailwheel prior to 91, they'll need it-

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Hamblin; 05-20-2010 at 08:23 AM.