Thread: Door hitting boot cowl screw

Default Door hitting boot cowl screw

When you open the door, it rest on one screw of the boot cowl. It has already dug into the paint. I remember them telling me to sit on the door getting in, but this will really put pressure at that spot. What have you guys done to prevent this? Different screw spacing may help. I will need some kind of a bumper at the screw I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TroyBranch; 04-24-2016 at 08:52 PM.

Default Re: Door hitting boot cowl screw

I noticed the same thing. I left two screws out until just yesterday. I thought about putting clear paint guard over the screws or on the door. That looked worse than the scratch on the door from the screw. I think I'm just going to live with it. If you find a better solution let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubrath View Post
    I noticed the same thing. I left two screws out until just yesterday. I thought about putting clear paint guard over the screws or on the door. That looked worse than the scratch on the door from the screw. I think I'm just going to live with it. If you find a better solution let me know.

I got a rubber cabinet pad from walmart and drilled half way into it then used the existing screw to hold it to the plane. At this point the screw would not touch the paint, but I also put a dab of silicone over the screw head for added protection. Everything is clear, Best thing I could come up with.. If you want a real fast fix cut a square of VHB tape and stick it to where the screw head hits the door, don't peel the other side... Work good on a red bird..

Jason
    EX-2
    Last edited by kemper28; 04-25-2016 at 01:38 PM.

I am including a link to the bumper that we use. It is from Home Depot and works really well.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-...9565/203661091

Thanks
    Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    I am including a link to the bumper that we use. It is from Home Depot and works really well.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-...9565/203661091

Thanks
    Mitch
    Had to chuckle when I saw this. Coincidentally had done just about the same thing but I got it at True Value. A bit smaller than the Home Depo version.

DSC_0821.jpg

It pretty much disappears from sight when in place.

DSC_0824.jpg

One good thing about making a mark in the paint from the screw...it locates the spot perfectly. This is how I did it. I like the idea of the load on the screw, it's going to be a high pressure point.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    One good thing about making a mark in the paint from the screw...it locates the spot perfectly. This is how I did it. I like the idea of the load on the screw, it's going to be a high pressure point.

Can't you just use a flat head screw?

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldjrup View Post
    Can't you just use a flat head screw?
    You may be able to dimple the boot cowl and the fuse and add a nut plate. You would need to do this at two locations. My guess is it could still make a mark as it may not sit low enough. To late now for me to try....maybe the next one