Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TMX-240 install

Lightbulb TMX-240 install

Regards,

Will a Mattituck TMX-240 (125hp) engine install with the O-200 FWF Kit?

Also, Can the O-200 (100hp) Continental equipped Carbon Cub EX be registered at 1860lb gross weight?

Thanks
    Dave

Default Re: TMX-240 install

Dave
    It sounds like it should fit with the O-200 motor mount and cowling. I would think that most of the firewall forward kit should work as well, there may be some differences in the baffles. One of the unknown’s is the fuel injection size/location, and the fuel pump system. You will also have to add a fuel return system.

You can set the gross weight at 1865 with any engine and equipment that you choose.

Thanks
    Mitch

There is another issue here and that is just plan performance. Sure you may "register" your Carbon Cub all the way up to 1,865 pounds but if you have only 100 ponies under you cowling it will behave more like a broken down old mare.
    The Cessna 150 also has the same 100 hp Cont. O-200 engine and has a GW of 1,600 lbs. and I suspect if you load a 100 hp cCarbon ub up to 1,600 lbs you will get the same performance. And if you load it up to 1,865 lbs, you'd better have a lot of runway!!! And forget about trying a bush takeoff with just 1000 feet to the tree line.
    Now, I would not worry about flying a Sort Cub S2 a little above 1,320 lbs as it is not a safety issue. Maybe a legal issue but not a safety issue. But I leaned something in Vietnam. If you load a Huey a thousand pounds over GW, and I have, do not expect it to jump off of the ground. When a helicopter runs out of hp you start to lose rpm and the centrifugal force that holds the blades out flat. As the rpm drops, and the more pitch you pull, the blades "cone up" as if to say "I give up"!!! When your blade tips point up, you are in deep nuoc mom.
    Oh, I know a Cubcrafter cub can't hover but it is about as close to a helicopter as you can get and a hell of a lot cheaper. Warlord 17

Oh, I have heard that people are hotrodding the Cont. O-200 engine. They are putting in the 8.5 pistons from the O-200D engine into the O-200A engine along with ECI cylinders and with Lightspeed CDI ignition and getting around 120 hp out of them. Sure this is an "experimental" engine but as long as you don't run it at full throttle all of the time, it should be reliable.
    I am sure there are more than enough old O-200A engine cases around to build an engine. Just make sure you have a good engine man.
    I would probably go that route rather than putting in an IO-240 engine in.

This is good stuff and welcome to the forum Rogue.

I just differ on the performance of the O-200 in either the S2 or carbon cub essentially the same aircraft but the carbon is a little stronger and 20 lbs heavier empty. Its not unusual for the S1/S2 to be loaded over 1500 lbs and still be reasonable STOL aircraft!

One person (even with plenty of gas) the S1/S2s are amazingly STOL aircraft winning STOL contests against super cubs across the country! Does a 19' takeoff for the carbon cub vs a 55' takeoff for the 100HP O-200 S1/S2 really make that much difference? Of course the big difference from there is the Carbon Cub climb rate and weight carrying capabilities.

The hopped up O200s S1/S2s that I have seen have made a significant difference in performance, if I wasn't instructing I would go ESLSA in a heartbeat and do the engine performance, extended gear and bigger tires and have a heck of a performing back country STOL aircraft! Albeit, I still get around the back country in my stock S1 as it is!

Its funny when I bought my S1 3 years and 700 tach hours ago it was very much "state of the art" the, now look where Jim and crew has taken design, performance and new panel configurations to the edge of an new era again! Now my 3 year old S1 is obsolete! lol! But I still get many OOHs and AAAHS from folks checking it out at different places ....Don't you just love it!

Its all good!

Geo

My point was that it may not be legal to load an SLA over 1320 (1420 on floats) but the 100 hp O-200 should be fine up to about 1,600 lbs on a runway and 1,500 in the ruff. I am basically a rotorhead as if most of my flight time, 7,000 hrs, are in helicopters. I have no tail dragger time and would like to buy a Maul MX7-180 B/C. But a second choice would be a SLA like the S2. As usual it comes down to money and keeping the wife happy.
    We just bought a motorhome which is nice but I still long for air time and owning/renting a helicopter is out of the question$$$$ I would like to buy a CC11-100 so I could visit my mother in Kansas more often. It takes 2-3 days to drive the 1320 miles and another 2-3 days to get home. I could cut that down to an easy two days each way if I had a S2.
    A Maule MX7-180 can do it in one fuel stop and about 10 hours (1,000 air miles) but a S2 is a little slower and take at least two fuel stops and it would be closer to 13 hours which is a tuff one day flight. I have no fantasy about being a bush pilot. There are things I have done with choppers that would probably curl a bush pilots toes but it is the other way about me and planes. Runway ....good, grass ... okay, snow, ice, curved beaches, floats .... eh, I dun't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    . I have no fantasy about being a bush pilot. There are things I have done with choppers that would probably curl a bush pilots toes but it is the other way about me and planes. Runway ....good, grass ... okay, snow, ice, curved beaches, floats .... eh, I dun't know.
    Rogue you are my kind of guy! You will make a good fit with the S2! I am in Arizona now for the winter come on out and we can spend sometime in the amazing AZ canyon backcountry!

Check out my website: www.couleeairsevices.com and my blog: http://couleeairservices.blogspot.com/

Geo
    Sport Cub #6
    N787AK

If the Lyc. IO-233 is about the same weight as the Cont. O-200A, I would probably want to go with the Lyc. I have over 2,000 on Lycoming piston thumpers and another 4,000+ with Lycoming (now Honneywell) T-52 and T-55 engines. I blew a T-55-L11ASA half off of the side on a Chinook in Aug 1981 in S. Korea and boy did it make a bang. And another 3,000 in Allision 250/T-63s.
    The only engine failure I had was in the Chinook and I could have maintained 130 Kts on the remaining engine but I was just ten miles out of Osan AFB and I had already dropped to 100 kts anticipating a forced landing but took it to Osan right behind an A-7 that also had an emergency. We had firetrucks going everywhere.
    Oh, our Chinook sat of the ramp for over a week at Osan waiting on another engine. When they investigated my engine failure that found the engine mechanic was not doing his work correctly and after checking another dozen engines he had worked on, they condemned half of them. Instant engine shortage!

Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    Regards,

Will a Mattituck TMX-240 (125hp) engine install with the O-200 FWF Kit?

Also, Can the O-200 (100hp) Continental equipped Carbon Cub EX be registered at 1860lb gross weight?

Thanks
    Dave
    Dave, There is a difference between be registered at a certain weight and being practical. A Diamond DA20 has the Cont. IO-240 125hp engine and it's approved GW is 1,764 but that would be taking off from an improved runway. I would guess at 1,600 to about 1,700 gross would be okay for a 125hp plane.
    The Cessna 152 with a 118 hp Lyc. 0-235 has an approved GW of 1,670 but, again, in a bush field, I don't know.
    As far as a Cont. O-200 (100 hp) the Cessna 150 is certified at 1,600 but, again, in a bush field, I would probably go with a maximum of 1,500.
    I flew Hueys in Vietnam and they were rated at 9,500 lbs GW but I know I was pushing 10,500 lbs on a few takeoffs. You would never do that in a non-combat situation but at that weight the old UH-1H it was a dog and any aircraft that is overloaded will not perform well. Add a gust of wind, and you just crashed!
    I was a hot helo pilot in my day and I have no intention of being a real bush pilot. If I do buy one I will be a Sunday flyer just enough to feel alive. Maybe fly in and out of a grass strip but no mountain flying, landing on uneven river banks, etc., well, I will leave that to the real bush pilots.

Thanks for good info,
    I like the TMX 0320. Good price,warranty and order to fit.
    I worked on 'N' model Hueys when they were new and now they are tired but still going. We have 'ST' models that do the job.
    DJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Dave, There is a difference between be registered at a certain weight and being practical. A Diamond DA20 has the Cont. IO-240 125hp engine and it's approved GW is 1,764 but that would be taking off from an improved runway. I would guess at 1,600 to about 1,700 gross would be okay for a 125hp plane.
    The Cessna 152 with a 118 hp Lyc. 0-235 has an approved GW of 1,670 but, again, in a bush field, I don't know.
    As far as a Cont. O-200 (100 hp) the Cessna 150 is certified at 1,600 but, again, in a bush field, I would probably go with a maximum of 1,500.
    I flew Hueys in Vietnam and they were rated at 9,500 lbs GW but I know I was pushing 10,500 lbs on a few takeoffs. You would never do that in a non-combat situation but at that weight the old UH-1H it was a dog and any aircraft that is overloaded will not perform well. Add a gust of wind, and you just crashed!
    I was a hot helo pilot in my day and I have no intention of being a real bush pilot. If I do buy one I will be a Sunday flyer just enough to feel alive. Maybe fly in and out of a grass strip but no mountain flying, landing on uneven river banks, etc., well, I will leave that to the real bush pilots.