I have a 2014 Carbon Cub that I bought new and now has 210 hours that has an issue with the 26" Airstreak tires. Attached is a photo showing a split on the tire - actually there are two splits near each other on one tire and none on the other. I contacted Airframe Alaska and sent them the photo and asked their opinion. Lukas Stutzer an engineer there answered me and stated that there probably was a small defect but not to be concerned because he didn't think it would get worse and it was airworthy. He then said we was more concerned with all the tiny cracks on the tire that you can see on the photo. His opinion was that they were caused by UV rays. I told him that the plane was always hangered and is less than two years old. He suggested that I do two things: lessen the air pressure from my usual 10 pounds to 6 pounds and to use a product called 303 Aerospace Protectant to shield the tire from UV rays.
I find it hard to believe that UV rays did this on an always hangered airplane this new and that the cracks are nothing to be concerned about.
I would like to hear from other owners if this is normal for these tires and if they use that low a tire pressure and the 303 protectant.
Thanks for you comments.
Duane Frederiksen
Carbon Cub 335

IMG_1269.jpg