Thread: Airstreak Tire split and cracks

Default Airstreak Tire split and cracks

I have a 2014 Carbon Cub that I bought new and now has 210 hours that has an issue with the 26" Airstreak tires. Attached is a photo showing a split on the tire - actually there are two splits near each other on one tire and none on the other. I contacted Airframe Alaska and sent them the photo and asked their opinion. Lukas Stutzer an engineer there answered me and stated that there probably was a small defect but not to be concerned because he didn't think it would get worse and it was airworthy. He then said we was more concerned with all the tiny cracks on the tire that you can see on the photo. His opinion was that they were caused by UV rays. I told him that the plane was always hangered and is less than two years old. He suggested that I do two things: lessen the air pressure from my usual 10 pounds to 6 pounds and to use a product called 303 Aerospace Protectant to shield the tire from UV rays.
    I find it hard to believe that UV rays did this on an always hangered airplane this new and that the cracks are nothing to be concerned about.
    I would like to hear from other owners if this is normal for these tires and if they use that low a tire pressure and the 303 protectant.
    Thanks for you comments.
    Duane Frederiksen
    Carbon Cub 335

IMG_1269.jpg

Red face Re: Airstreak Tire split and cracks

My 2013 CarbonCub has the same tires with no issues thus far. I am number CC247 and I have approximately the same number of hours and always hangar the machine. Most of my take-offs and landings, unfortunately, have been on pavement.

Default Re: Airstreak Tire split and cracks

I have occasionally seen this kind of crazing (not the large slit) before, also on hangared airplanes. I don't see any correlation to any conditions that might cause it. Of course we don't make the tires so I encourage you to keep working with Airframes Alaska on this, and of course post any info you end up with back here for the rest of us.
    Randy Lervold

I have number 241 with 350 hours on the meter. Same tires but have never run that much pressure, normally 6-7 lbs.
    Many hundreds of landings on all kinds of crazy surfaces with no issues of signs of wear. I do use the 303 protection and it makes your tires look like new and clean super easy. I use it on my car tires also for that new clean look.

I have the same problem on a 2 year old CC. Left tire is normal, right tire has cracks and crazing all over it. There is an issue here.

Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

These 26" Airstreaks are on a one year old airplane with 26.4 hours total time. The plane is kept in a fully enclosed hangar. We submitted these pics to Airframes today. Looks like they're going to warranty the tires.

IMG_3914-3.jpgIMG_3916-3.jpg
    Jon Delamarter
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters, Inc.
    jond@cubcrafters.com
    Office (509)367-5200

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Delamarter View Post
    These 26" Airstreaks are on a one year old airplane with 26.4 hours total time. The plane is kept in a fully enclosed hangar. We submitted these pics to Airframes today. Looks like they're going to warranty the tires.

IMG_3914-3.jpgIMG_3916-3.jpg
    Thanks Jon, my tires are 2 1/2 years old on CC316. I figured I was out of luck on warranty. Strange thing is that one tire looks fine, but with 80 hours and lots of landings I would guess they are at least 1/2 gone. I ordered the Desser LSA Tundra Tires. Will see how they do.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA