Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adding striping.

Default Adding striping.

I just tried adding the striping and I had to rip it off. My line did not match perfectly so I took the paper topping off. There was no way to keep it perfect. I could not avoid a slight swerve in the stripe. It looked to crappy to leave. I was thinking of pulling the forward end away and leave the paper on so the curve stays "straight". I am using soapy water and working from one end to the other. I went this route to save some painting...I may just have to paint this on to have some quality. Bubbles are the other issue, I never seam to be able to push them all out with a credit card. Any tips or advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Adding striping.

I use a spray bottle with baby shampoo and also add a little denatured alcohol. I read that it helps and it seems like it did. I use a lot of water on the surface and decal. With the long stripes it was a must for me to use someone to help. They are just to long to lay out by yourself unless you have the fuselage laying on its side. It also seemed to help to try and push as much water and air out with the paper still on. Once the paper was off I used the smallest stick pin I could find and could usually go in from the bottom or the top to get the bubble out. There were a few that I just had to pop.

As a side note, don't leave any of the backing paper on the sticky side of the vinyl and let it get wet. The first stripe I laid I tried to do half at a time. The backing paper got wet and stuck to the vinyl and ruined the decal. The top paper is obviously fine to get wet, just not the bottom paper.

Talk to Mitch. He will make you a deal you can't resist on the checkerboard.

The checkerboard went on in the kitchen over the winter. Like Cubrath, I used a quart of water in a spray bottle with a few drops of dish washing soap and couple table spoons of denatured alcohol spraying it liberally [I hate that word] over the rudder before and during application.

There are some trick to getting the stripes on perfectly

IMG_7245.jpg

IMG_7462.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ok, round two tonight. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    I just tried adding the striping and I had to rip it off. My line did not match perfectly so I took the paper topping off. There was no way to keep it perfect. I could not avoid a slight swerve in the stripe. It looked to crappy to leave. I was thinking of pulling the forward end away and leave the paper on so the curve stays "straight". I am using soapy water and working from one end to the other. I went this route to save some painting...I may just have to paint this on to have some quality. Bubbles are the other issue, I never seam to be able to push them all out with a credit card. Any tips or advice?

Troy:

I plan to eventually do a post with pictures, but in the meantime here is the narrative. Hope this makes sense. Once I get some pictures it will help. This may not be the best approach, but worked well for me. The spacing is spot on and consistent using this approach. Don't fret the bubbles. If you can't ease them out with a damp microfiber towel they will eventually disappear. A few bubbles are perfectly normal and expected.

Chuck

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

1. Fill a quart spray bottle with distilled water. Add a few drops of dish soap and a couple table spoons of denatured alcohol.

2. Trim the top edge of the top stripe while the backing paper is in place exactly even with the stripe.

3. Wipe down the fuselage where the stripe will go with denatured alcohol to make sure it is absolutely clean.

4. Apply ¾ pieces of masking tape (about an inch long or so) even with the bottom of the adjacent paint line at about 18” intervals. This defines the spacing of the stripe.

5. Tape the stripe with green or blue masking tape, with the paper backing in place, on the top edge only, exactly even with the bottom of the masking tape spacers. This will pinpoint the location of the stripe. Put these tapes about a foot apart or so to make sure the paper backing with the strip stays put.

6 Now gently lift the stripe with the backing still intact from the bottom edge, and spray the area where it will be applied with the water solution, working in roughly three foot sections. I started at the rear and worked forward. Use a lot of water. At this point peel the material from the adhesive side of the tape a couple of feet at a time and gently set the adhesive side of the tape in place. Do NOT push it down just yet.

7. Work your way the length of the tape until you get to the opposite end. Now use a squeegee or rag on the paper backing to push the tape in place and remove the big bubbles.

8. Now spray the paper backing with more water solution. By this time the masking tape spacers and the paper backing will be getting pretty soggy and will come off easily.

9. With the tape now in place and the backing removed, gently wipe the stripe with a micro fiber towel dampened with the water solution. Don’t worry about small bubbles. They will disappear over time, especially once it get out in the sun.

The lower stripe is done in the same fashion, but because the spacing tapers from about four inches at the rear to ¾ at the front, fewer spacing tapes are needed. Just measure the length, divide it in to roughly equal quadrants, than place spacing tapes that taper consistently front to rear. At the front make sure to keep the distance at 3/4" to match the spacing of the top tape.

Got the decals and stripes on! Thanks for all the tips. One thing I learned on the second stripe was to really go over it several times with the tape on. Working all the water out with a plastic putty knife. Let it fully dry then spray it with water again, then peal it off. It will not have a chance to stretch the stripe which causes the bubbles. At least I will have 3 good stripes!

Looks great!

Had to give it some sun

You need to pull up a chair, pop open a can of suds, admire your work, and watch the bubbles fade away

Looks great Troy!!