Thread: Coming up from a "land down under" - prospective EX builder

Default Coming up from a "land down under" - prospective EX builder

Afternoon all, Peter prospective EX builder here.

I will be visiting the US from Australia in a few days time. Starting in Tampa (4/2~4/3), Sun and Fun (4/4~4/6 - Tue & Wed am only) then on to Seattle (4/7~4/11 AvGeekFest; Boeing tour/seaplane TIF etc.), Yakima (4/12~4/14) for a factory visit with Mitch, then on to see the Spruce Goose; Twin Pines Airpark (hopefully for my US BFR in their Carbon Cub) and other local Portland attractions (4/15~4/18) before heading back to Australia on the evening of the 19th.

Steve D (stede52) has very graciously offered to let me check out his award winning aircraft, and probably more importantly, his legroom extension modification en-route to Yakima. Very much appreciated Steve and am looking forward to meeting you and checking out your beautiful looking Carbon Cub.

Without wishing to impose on anyone, and keeping in mind it's a bit of short, busy and quick trip, if there are any builders with an EX under construction (say within an hours drive of my itinerary?) and would be happy have an Aussie visitor for half an hour or so to talk building aeroplanes, I would appreciate the opportunity to say hi and check out your progress?

Will be picking up a US phone number in Tampa, will post it once I know it, if anyone is free to catch up for a burger or a beverage at Sun & Fun?

All the best. Peter E.

Default Re: Coming up from a "land down under" - prospective EX builder

Peter,

You mention "Twin Pines Airpark," near Portland. I think you mean Twin Oaks Airpark (7S3) in Hillsboro, a suburb of Portland. Good people there. You'll like it. Have a great trip!

Bill

PS. I'll be at Twin Oaks for a couple of days this coming week, then up to Yakima for a day or so. After that, mulling over pointing the nose south then east toward Sun 'n Fun. By then the ice will be off the Wisconsin lakes and it should be safe to return home. Might even run into you at some point.
    Bill Gillen
    Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by bgillen View Post
    Peter,

You mention "Twin Pines Airpark," near Portland. I think you mean Twin Oaks Airpark (7S3) in Hillsboro, a suburb of Portland. Good people there. You'll like it. Have a great trip!
    Thanks Bill you are correct, got my trees mixed up!

All the best.

Hi Peter,
    just visiting here in NZ and about to go Carbon Cub flying with Bruce, who has built an EX as well! Cant wait!!

You might not be aware, but we are having a "Builders Appreciation" night at Camp CubCrafters friday night at Sun n Fun.... there should be a whole bunch of EX builders there to pick their brains..... Sounds like you might have to make a slight modification to your itinerary, but it might be worth it.

Regardless, Ill be there all week in the booth (mornings) so please stop by and Ill tell you about my NZ flying experience!

Rick

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    CubCrafters Dealer for AZ/NM/UT/CO/southern WY
    www.suncountrycubs.com

Thanks Rick

enjoy NZ, I've been there quite few times as a tourist, it's a great country with great people, if only there was as much work over there as here on the "West Island" (as one of my kiwi friends likes to call Australia) I would have seriously considered moving there to live years ago.

I will be disappointed to be missing the Friday night get together, unfortunately my itinerary is fixed around my flights (no changes to flights booked on "points") so I will be at a Boeing Dreamliner function (part of "aviation geek fest 2016") in Seattle on the Friday night.

Will make sure I drop by the booth on (either or both) Tuesday or Wednesday and say hi.

All the best. Peter E.
    Last edited by PeterEedy; 03-29-2016 at 12:36 PM.

I will be disappointed to be missing the Friday night get together
    Peter-

We can still make your Sun 'n Fun visit "funner". We'll be flying demos every evening, Tuesday thru Thursday, at Camp CubCrafters, located at the South Lakeland Airport. Drop by our Booth 102/103 and I'll give you an invitation with directions. We'll get you up in our Carbon Cub EX-2 demo aircraft and confirm that this is the airplane you want to build.

After your flight, enjoy some food, beer and conversation while that Carbon Cub Grin wears off.

Quote Originally Posted by John Whitish View Post
    ...We'll get you up in our Carbon Cub EX-2 demo aircraft ....after your flight, enjoy some food, beer and conversation while that Carbon Cub Grin wears off.
    Thanks very much for the hospitality John

Three of my favorite things all in the one spot! Will need to be an EX as at 6'4 and 250lbs the light sport W&B is somewhat limited.

I am back to Tampa on the Wednesday night for an early departure Thursday, so Tuesday will be only possible slot, will be in Lakeland on the Monday around noon if that helps?

Still working on transport options (Tampa > Lakeland) UBER, Greyhound or a hire car? Will post my mobile number once I pick up a SIM and touch base.

Really looking forward to the trip <48hrs until I head down to Sydney for departure!

All the best, Peter E.

I am back to Tampa on the Wednesday night for an early departure Thursday, so Tuesday will be only possible slot, will be in Lakeland on the Monday around noon if that helps?
    Monday is setup day for the booth, so not much opportunity to fly then. Tuesday evening will certainly work, weather permitting. We may be able to arrange a flight during the day Wednesday if we're rained out Tuesday evening.

Still working on transport options (Tampa > Lakeland) UBER, Greyhound or a hire car?
    I usually fly into Tampa... about 50 minutes to Lakeland. I've always rented a car.

Quote Originally Posted by John Whitish View Post
    I usually fly into Tampa... about 50 minutes to Lakeland. I've always rented a car.
    Hi John et al.

I took the hire car option (had to keep repeating to myself "keep right, left is loose and right is tight" all the way from Tampa).

So far I have only got in the car on the passenger's side and wondered who took the steering wheel the once, the guy at Hertz had a good chuckle at that.

Have checked in at the hotel and catching up on some emails.

Mobile number is (813) 992 4078, at least until the 22nd of April.

All the best. Peter E.