Thread: My EX2

Default Re: My EX2

What is this tape for? Paint masking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Smiddo View Post

What is this tape for? Paint masking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Planes been done for 9 months...140hrs on it...that roll of tape is still hanging on the wall of the hangar...hope it was for something important!

Pete
    CCK-1865-0078
    ✈️N9PW
    Severna Park, MD
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Pete
    ✈️CCK-1865-0078 N9PW
    Severna Park, MD W18

So you decided to go with the eight mini wheels instead of two regular tires option. Nice.

I wonder if that tape is the type used to cover the ends of the flaps and ailerons? It wasn't a part of my early kit but I think it was added at some point.

After seeing it on a newer finished kit it looked like a good idea to me. It'll keep bugs and dirt from getting through those lightening holes. I found some of the tape and put it on my control surfaces.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    I wonder if that tape is the type used to cover the ends of the flaps and ailerons? It wasn't a part of my early kit but I think it was added at some point.

After seeing it on a newer finished kit it looked like a good idea to me. It'll keep bugs and dirt from getting through those lightening holes. I found some of the tape and put it on my control surfaces.
    Dan,

The tape on over the lightening holes is just Home Depot Aviation Grade HVAC aluminum foil tape, applied prior to painting.

Pete
    CCK-1865-0078
    ✈️N9PW
    Severna Park, MD
    Pete
    ✈️CCK-1865-0078 N9PW
    Severna Park, MD W18

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
    So you decided to go with the eight mini wheels instead of two regular tires option. Nice.
    I can do that with experimental right.

So crop dusting season is over and it is back to the build. I am getting ready to paint with Ranthane and have some questions. I have read the poly manual for the 10th time and I am still a little confused.

1. Some places in the manual states two coats and in other places it states three?

2. It says to wait 4 days to a week to fully crosslink before spraying over the top of the paint or it will wrinkle. But then it says to wait 12 hours + before you tape off and paint the trim. So for the fuselage for example, with two colors, I am planing to paint the top color with some over spray below the line and then tape and mask off the swoosh line and paint the bottom. There will be a portion of the bottom color that will be painting over the top color, near the line, so can I paint the bottom 24 hours after I paint the top or do I need to wait a week?

Balfour,Southland, South Island, New Zealand

So crop dusting season is over and it is back to the build. I am getting ready to paint with Ranthane and have some questions. I have read the poly manual for the 10th time and I am still a little confused.

1. Some places in the manual states two coats and in other places it states three?

2. It says to wait 4 days to a week to fully crosslink before spraying over the top of the paint or it will wrinkle. But then it says to wait 12 hours + before you tape off and paint the trim. So for the fuselage for example, with two colors, I am planing to paint the top color with some over spray below the line and then tape and mask off the swoosh line and paint the bottom. There will be a portion of the bottom color that will be painting over the top color, near the line, so can I paint the bottom 24 hours after I paint the top or do I need to wait a week?
    Yes I had those contradictions through my EX 0055 build a couple of years back, and asked CC to look at going over their Manual, with this same subject coming up with the CC Rep at Reno a few weeks ago..

Quote Originally Posted by terry View Post
    Yes I had those contradictions through my EX 0055 build a couple of years back, and asked CC to look at going over their Manual, with this same subject coming up with the CC Rep at Reno a few weeks ago..
    You can email tech@polyfiber.com and they will usually respond quickly or you can call them directly (horses mouth).

I used white Ranthane on my cub. I would paint two coats of white over the silver then let it sit for a min of four days to crosslink. I would then wet sand and put on one more thin coat and then a final medium coat. I have painted a lot of Ranthane and you can not get enough coverage in one session. Same for all the metal parts, they all took two separate spraying sessions.

I dont see how you could tape it in 12 hours. The paint is just too soft at that point unless it is baked in a paint booth. I think the quickest I taped for trim was three days with a 70 degree booth.

That is one of the major disadvantages with Ranthane. You add a lot more time to the entire process waiting for paint to dry.

Mike