Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Zaon XRX Now in My Carbon Cub

Default Zaon XRX Now in My Carbon Cub

Inspired by other posts on the forum I decided to put a Zaon XRX into my Carbon Cub. By way of background I have been flying a Cirrus SR22 since 2003 with a Skywatch 497, an active collision avoidance system. The Skywatch active systems work very well in the Cirrus rarely missing threat traffic around the Cirrus. When I first started flying the Carbon Cub I found my self startled at times to see traffic nearby without any warnings. You get really spoiled having a TCAS watching out for you. In the later model SR22's the traffic is actually called out for by clock position just like a controller when it is a threat.

I decided to install the Zaon XRX myself since my Carbon Cub is an E-LSA. I ordered the PCAS XRX directly from the Zaon website since their price seemed to be the lowest. I also ordered a XRX Bare Wire Power/Data Cable. More about that below.

The installation was not hard though I am concerned with the placement of the unit. The PCAS XRX has a built in magnetometer. The magnetometer is used to keep traffic oriented on display devices when the aircraft turns between successive "paints" of the target. Unfortunately all the good mounting locations for the PCAS XRX are right near steel structural tubes which throw off the magnetometer. I finally placed the unit in the best place to see traffic but the targets are jumping around when I turn because the magnetometer is seeing interference from the structure.

I mounted the PCAS XRX using industrial strength Velcro and one tie wrap for extra insurance. The unit is so light the industrial strength Velcro easily holds the unit securely in place. I have see other installations that use a metal tray to hold the unit in place which is problematic since the PCAS XRX would be shielded from transponder replies in any direction where the metal was in the way.

The Power/Data Cable is simply a set of connectors on one end with bare wire +/- and a RS232 data out wire to carry traffic information to the GDU375. The GDU 375 has a 50 pin connector in the back. I used Pin 29 which is RS232 #3 IN for the GDU375. The only hitch is that the Zaon kit did not include any pins to hook up the data wire to the GDU375. So I took the power/data cable over to the folks at Aircraft Electronic Supply who attached a pin to my data wire that fit the GDU375. By the way AES is a Zaon dealer. They will sell you the PCAS XRX and the power/data cable ready to go. I found this out after ordering the Zaon.

I hooked up the PCAS XRX +12v wire to the GDU375 5 amp circuit breaker and the ground wire to the common ground buss. The data cable pin simply snaps into the GDU375 50 pin connector. No tool needed. That is it for the wiring.

Set up involves putting the PCS XRX into the "GARMIN" mode and setting up the GDU375 serial com port to see "TIS" data "IN" on "RS-232 Port 3". Setup for the PCS XRX is covered in the Zaon manual and setup for the Garmin GDU375 is covered in the Garmin installation manual.

Once everything is setup you can watch the traffic come alive on the Garmin GDU375. When traffic gets close the target is painted on the moving map with vector and altitude information. In addition when the traffic is a threat a box will pop up showing the proximity to the aircraft and amazingly the Garmin lady who lives inside the GDU375 calls out "Traffic, Traffic" through the intercom system.

I am finding the Zaon PCS XRX works just about as well as the $22,000 active Skywatch box in and around the airport. The PCS XRX is a passive traffic system so transponders in your area need to be interrogated by ATC radar or by another airplane with an active TCAS system for the Zaon PCS XRX to see the traffic. So if you are operating somewhere outside of radar coverage and outside the range of other aircraft with active TCAS the Zaon will not see traffic. So many high flying aircraft have active TCAS these days it is rare to be out of coverage.

The only downside so far is that the Zaon PCS XRX will not turn on automatically when you hit the avionics master switch, so you must remember to turn it on at startup. The XRX will shut down automatically when you turn off the master switch.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Default Re: Zaon XRX Now in My Carbon Cub

Bob

I had Cubcrafters install mine at the factory before I picked up my CC (SN123). Although mine turns on automatically with the Avionics master switch, I have not had much luck getting it to properly locate and track traffic. Cubcrafters had to change the original installation mount as the first one set the unit too far below the window and was different from the one in their brochure. I tried re-calibrating the compass to magnetic North but was still getting false locations for the traffic, something not much fun near busy DIA. Unfortunately, I am travelling till late June and will not have a chance to fly my plane and test the unit again till then. I think the metal mount may be interfering, but am not sure. Attached are some photos.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Bob

I had Cubcrafters install mine at the factory before I picked up my CC (SN123). Although mine turns on automatically with the Avionics master switch, I have not had much luck getting it to properly locate and track traffic. Cubcrafters had to change the original installation mount as the first one set the unit too far below the window and was different from the one in their brochure. I tried re-calibrating the compass to magnetic North but was still getting false locations for the traffic, something not much fun near busy DIA. Unfortunately, I am travelling till late June and will not have a chance to fly my plane and test the unit again till then. I think the metal mount may be interfering, but am not sure. Attached are some photos.

The Zaon is clearly a work in progress in the Carbon Cub. My installation is seeing all the traffic. I measured the magnetic field around the steel tubes and there is a least a 40 degree error in my aircraft, but that should not impact traffic detection just positioning when aircraft turns.

Glad to hear your unit turns on automatically. I must have missed a setting somewhere.

I think the optimum location for the XRX traffic detection antenna is to actually cut a square in the acrylic skylight and push the antenna outside of the airplane. A little RTV around the plastic antenna would keep moisture out of the electronics. Just too much structure in the way below the acrylic.

The good news is that my unit is alerting me whenever somebody is nearby. The exact location may not be right, but the XRX documentation says that it is only good to 45 degree slices even when the unit is working perfectly.

Bob, great report. Couple of things...

1) My understanding after speaking with the Zaon folks at SNF is that there are two models, one designed to power up automatically when power is applied to the supply wire, and one that must be powered up conventionally. You might ask your dealer about swapping for the other option.

2) In the brief time I played with the setup in a customer's plane I see that the Garmin had a range menu for the traffic that extends out quite a ways, up to 20 miles IIRC. The Zaon folks told me that it can sense things only to 7 miles so I think the Garmin menu is misleading. Do you know if the Garmin menu provides any range adjustment of the Zaon, or is the menu superfluous and designed for something else?

Keep up the good work!
    Randy Lervold

I was wondering if anyone asked the Zaon folks which was the best "Aircraft type" setting for the Carbon Cub since we are not installing the unit on the glareshield?

There are 3 options for this setting:
    1. Open: Composite, Fabric or other non metallic aircraft
    2. High Wing: Metal high Wing
    3. Low Wing: Metal low Wing

Since we are installing the unit in the canopy above or level with the wings (which contain metal) instead of on the glareshield above the instruments and below the wings, I was wondering if the setting should be changed from "Open" to High or Low wing in order to improve performance?

Which setting is everyone else using?

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    Bob, great report. Couple of things...

1) My understanding after speaking with the Zaon folks at SNF is that there are two models, one designed to power up automatically when power is applied to the supply wire, and one that must be powered up conventionally. You might ask your dealer about swapping for the other option.

2) In the brief time I played with the setup in a customer's plane I see that the Garmin had a range menu for the traffic that extends out quite a ways, up to 20 miles IIRC. The Zaon folks told me that it can sense things only to 7 miles so I think the Garmin menu is misleading. Do you know if the Garmin menu provides any range adjustment of the Zaon, or is the menu superfluous and designed for something else?

Keep up the good work!
    Thanks for the information. Zaon web site did not mention two models.

The Zaon is configured to show traffic with constraints selected on the Zaon. I think the Garmin just shows what it receives from the Zaon. For instance, the Zaon goes into ground mode when on the ground and does not show traffic less than 200' above the airport.

The Zaon and GDU375 combination is really very functional for $1,500. The most important thing is to be alerted to traffic nearby so start looking around. In my aircraft that function is working great.

If you hit the "up" arrow while the Zaon is booting up, it will report traffic while on the ground. I found this useful for testing the unit.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    Thanks for the information. Zaon web site did not mention two models.

The Zaon is configured to show traffic with constraints selected on the Zaon. I think the Garmin just shows what it receives from the Zaon. For instance, the Zaon goes into ground mode when on the ground and does not show traffic less than 200' above the airport.

The Zaon and GDU375 combination is really very functional for $1,500. The most important thing is to be alerted to traffic nearby so start looking around. In my aircraft that function is working great.
    Bob,
    We had to specify that we wanted the unit to come on with the avionics bus when we ordered the unit, and they made the change at the factory. I just spoke with Glen at Zaon and he said that he just sent you an email about returning your unit to get it changed! Great!
    Also, yes this is something we are working on - we had sent pictures to Zaon and they thought the bracket would work fine. But we will keep chasing it!
    Becky Teerink

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Bob

Richard,
    Sounds like the next step will be taking the unit out of the bracket, and setting it on the glareshield to test it (when you get back). Glad you could talk to Glen at Zaon about that, he is so helpful!
    Becky Teerink

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Teerink View Post
    Bob,
    We had to specify that we wanted the unit to come on with the avionics bus when we ordered the unit, and they made the change at the factory. I just spoke with Glen at Zaon and he said that he just sent you an email about returning your unit to get it changed! Great!
    Also, yes this is something we are working on - we had sent pictures to Zaon and they thought the bracket would work fine. But we will keep chasing it!
    Thanks Becky. Just heard from Glen, very responsive company. Will have to send my unit back for a wiring change on the circuit board to let it power up on the avionics bus.

Next time you talk to Zaon you might suggest they come up with a unit that would allow a remote antenna. Even a short antenna lead would give us much more flexibility. Finding a good place to mount this little unit worrying about both the magnetometer and the traffic sensing antenna is very challenging in an airplane with steel tube structure.

When I get my unit back with the auto power up enabled I am considering mounting the unit in the wing since there is no need to touch the unit except for calibration.