Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zaon XRX Now in My Carbon Cub

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Zaon XRX Now in My Carbon Cub

Inspired by other posts on the forum I decided to put a Zaon XRX into my Carbon Cub. By way of background I have been flying a Cirrus SR22 since 2003 with a Skywatch 497, an active collision avoidance system. The Skywatch active systems work very well in the Cirrus rarely missing threat traffic around the Cirrus. When I first started flying the Carbon Cub I found my self startled at times to see traffic nearby without any warnings. You get really spoiled having a TCAS watching out for you. In the later model SR22's the traffic is actually called out for by clock position just like a controller when it is a threat.

I decided to install the Zaon XRX myself since my Carbon Cub is an E-LSA. I ordered the PCAS XRX directly from the Zaon website since their price seemed to be the lowest. I also ordered a XRX Bare Wire Power/Data Cable. More about that below.

The installation was not hard though I am concerned with the placement of the unit. The PCAS XRX has a built in magnetometer. The magnetometer is used to keep traffic oriented on display devices when the aircraft turns between successive "paints" of the target. Unfortunately all the good mounting locations for the PCAS XRX are right near steel structural tubes which throw off the magnetometer. I finally placed the unit in the best place to see traffic but the targets are jumping around when I turn because the magnetometer is seeing interference from the structure.

I mounted the PCAS XRX using industrial strength Velcro and one tie wrap for extra insurance. The unit is so light the industrial strength Velcro easily holds the unit securely in place. I have see other installations that use a metal tray to hold the unit in place which is problematic since the PCAS XRX would be shielded from transponder replies in any direction where the metal was in the way.

The Power/Data Cable is simply a set of connectors on one end with bare wire +/- and a RS232 data out wire to carry traffic information to the GDU375. The GDU 375 has a 50 pin connector in the back. I used Pin 29 which is RS232 #3 IN for the GDU375. The only hitch is that the Zaon kit did not include any pins to hook up the data wire to the GDU375. So I took the power/data cable over to the folks at Aircraft Electronic Supply who attached a pin to my data wire that fit the GDU375. By the way AES is a Zaon dealer. They will sell you the PCAS XRX and the power/data cable ready to go. I found this out after ordering the Zaon.

I hooked up the PCAS XRX +12v wire to the GDU375 5 amp circuit breaker and the ground wire to the common ground buss. The data cable pin simply snaps into the GDU375 50 pin connector. No tool needed. That is it for the wiring.

Set up involves putting the PCS XRX into the "GARMIN" mode and setting up the GDU375 serial com port to see "TIS" data "IN" on "RS-232 Port 3". Setup for the PCS XRX is covered in the Zaon manual and setup for the Garmin GDU375 is covered in the Garmin installation manual.

Once everything is setup you can watch the traffic come alive on the Garmin GDU375. When traffic gets close the target is painted on the moving map with vector and altitude information. In addition when the traffic is a threat a box will pop up showing the proximity to the aircraft and amazingly the Garmin lady who lives inside the GDU375 calls out "Traffic, Traffic" through the intercom system.

I am finding the Zaon PCS XRX works just about as well as the $22,000 active Skywatch box in and around the airport. The PCS XRX is a passive traffic system so transponders in your area need to be interrogated by ATC radar or by another airplane with an active TCAS system for the Zaon PCS XRX to see the traffic. So if you are operating somewhere outside of radar coverage and outside the range of other aircraft with active TCAS the Zaon will not see traffic. So many high flying aircraft have active TCAS these days it is rare to be out of coverage.

The only downside so far is that the Zaon PCS XRX will not turn on automatically when you hit the avionics master switch, so you must remember to turn it on at startup. The XRX will shut down automatically when you turn off the master switch.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Default Re: Zaon XRX Now in My Carbon Cub

Bob

I had Cubcrafters install mine at the factory before I picked up my CC (SN123). Although mine turns on automatically with the Avionics master switch, I have not had much luck getting it to properly locate and track traffic. Cubcrafters had to change the original installation mount as the first one set the unit too far below the window and was different from the one in their brochure. I tried re-calibrating the compass to magnetic North but was still getting false locations for the traffic, something not much fun near busy DIA. Unfortunately, I am travelling till late June and will not have a chance to fly my plane and test the unit again till then. I think the metal mount may be interfering, but am not sure. Attached are some photos.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Bob

I had Cubcrafters install mine at the factory before I picked up my CC (SN123). Although mine turns on automatically with the Avionics master switch, I have not had much luck getting it to properly locate and track traffic. Cubcrafters had to change the original installation mount as the first one set the unit too far below the window and was different from the one in their brochure. I tried re-calibrating the compass to magnetic North but was still getting false locations for the traffic, something not much fun near busy DIA. Unfortunately, I am travelling till late June and will not have a chance to fly my plane and test the unit again till then. I think the metal mount may be interfering, but am not sure. Attached are some photos.

The Zaon is clearly a work in progress in the Carbon Cub. My installation is seeing all the traffic. I measured the magnetic field around the steel tubes and there is a least a 40 degree error in my aircraft, but that should not impact traffic detection just positioning when aircraft turns.

Glad to hear your unit turns on automatically. I must have missed a setting somewhere.

I think the optimum location for the XRX traffic detection antenna is to actually cut a square in the acrylic skylight and push the antenna outside of the airplane. A little RTV around the plastic antenna would keep moisture out of the electronics. Just too much structure in the way below the acrylic.

The good news is that my unit is alerting me whenever somebody is nearby. The exact location may not be right, but the XRX documentation says that it is only good to 45 degree slices even when the unit is working perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Bob

Richard,
    Sounds like the next step will be taking the unit out of the bracket, and setting it on the glareshield to test it (when you get back). Glad you could talk to Glen at Zaon about that, he is so helpful!
    Becky Teerink

Yes Randy is correct and a heads up to all who purchase the Zaon to make sure you get the model from the fctory that is wired to "ON" so that it will power up when you turn on your avionics otherwise you will have to send it back to the factory as Bob is doing. I installed mine where Rich's is as high as I could actually touching the skylight with a felt patch on top of the antenna to keep from scratching the sky light and it works well. I used a ram mount and velcroed the unit to the base so I can remove it if need be easily and use the 12v connector and set it on a dash for ferry work in another airplane. I use the high wing setting and tried them all with not much difference so cant really recommend any one in particular. The only bug in the system and confirmed by ZAOn is if you fly low over any water you will get a warning of an aircraft thats right next to you which can be startling but its actually you and is I am told a refection off the water. Regards Gary

Been flying the Zaon XRX in the CC for a year now. About all I can say is it that having is better than nothing.

I have tried many locations in the cockpit but none really works very well because of reflections off the metal in the cockpit. Placing it under the overhead acrylic above your head is probably the worst place because the unit is shielded on the right and left by the metal in the wing.

I am now testing the Zaon inserted into the hole used by pilot overhead vent. When you remove the vent the Zaon fits perfectly into the hole which allows antenna to have a 360 degree view around the CC without any metal in the way in the horizontal plane.

I have only made a few flights in this configuration but so far the unit works much better. It is now seeing traffic more reliably. Zaon says the unit can only resolve the traffic azimuth to about +/- 22 degrees of actual position. I am not sure it is that good, but with the antenna poking above the overhead skylight I am now seeing traffic in front of me when previously I would often see traffic in front depicted to be in back of the aircraft because of internal reflection.

The Zaon does seem to resolve altitude of nearby traffic (ie +/- above or below) very well which is helpful. So the Zaon unit with a good view will reliably tell you that traffic is nearby and above or below your altitude but it seems the best it can do with good antenna position is tell you whether traffic is in front or behind you.

The Zaon antenna enclosure is sealed but there are small vents a the base of the antenna which needs to be clear. It looks like the antenna could be "potted" into the vent hole with some RTV for a semi permanent installation while keeping the holes open. Right now I have it held in place with some double sided tape.

It looks like the best solution would be to install the Zaon in the vent hole above the pilot head, then cut a second hole in the acrylic for the pilot vent. With this solution you could always convert the Zaon hole back to a vent and have two vents for the pilot.

Anyone have an idea about how to cut a second 3 1/4" round hole in the acrylic without removing the sky light?

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    Anyone have an idea about how to cut a second 3 1/4" round hole in the acrylic without removing the sky light?
    The safest way is to use a fine-tooth hole saw (looks like a hack-saw blade). Drill about 3/4 through the material from the top and finish the last quarter of cut from the inside. Go slow! Not in drill rpm but in drilling through the material. Have a wire brush handy to clean the saw teeth periodically if you have drilled too quickly and developed heat. Just go slow and be patient with the cut. This method works much better than a router which tends to grab and crack both acrylic and lexan. I owned a sign company when younger and have experience with both materials.

One other thing - the pilot hole for the hole saw should be started with an 1/8 bit and then drilled with a 3/16 and then 1/4 using the same technique of finishing the cut from the inside - until the pilot hole matches the pilot drill of the hole-saw (usually 1/4 inch.)

When you are done - you can flame the edge with a propane torch or heat gun. Or sand it to the exact final dimension.
    Last edited by RanRan; 05-22-2011 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan View Post
    The safest way is to use a fine-tooth hole saw (looks like a hack-saw blade). Drill about 3/4 through the material from the top and finish the last quarter of cut from the inside. Go slow! Not in drill rpm but in drilling through the material. Have a wire brush handy to clean the saw teeth periodically if you have drilled too quickly and developed heat. Just go slow and be patient with the cut. This method works much better than a router which tends to grab and crack both acrylic and lexan. I owned a sign company when younger and have experience with both materials.

When you are done - you can flame the edge with a propane torch or heat gun. Or sand it to the exact final dimension.
    Sounds like it might work. I cannot find any source for a 3 1/4" fine tooth hole saw. Looks like the safest route would be to remove the sky light. Don't know how much work that would be.

Hi guys happy to chime in here since I think I may have started this whole discussion a while ago. Great to hear from the guy who actually invented this, Thanks Bill, Thats great info. My first S2 had the Garmin TIS option and for me it was a total waste as 90% of the time I was not either high enough or within radar coverage for it to work. In fact the first few months I thought it was inop and took it to an avionics shop who asked me to climb to 3000 ft near PBI to first test it and sure nuf it worked. But almost never after that and that included 2 trips to Oshkosh from Florida and only saw it report traffic a few times. Sooooooo on round 2 when I bought my Carbon Cub I opted for the ZAON and noticed the following
    1) Half the price of TIS and full time traffic reporting regardless of altitude and or radar environment
    2) While the ZAON does get confused as to direction reporting its does exactly what you say ie gives a heads up so you are looking for tarffic when you otherwise might not. I have gotten pretty good at interpolating when it is directionally reversed so better to be alerted and looking than with my old TIS never being alerted. Agreed maybe they will come out with a remote antenna mount which might be more directionally accurate or maybe you might be able to figure one out and since we are experimental no TSO stuff required? I would be interested in the remote antenna even if to test it. Best Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by glickle View Post
    2) While the ZAON does get confused as to direction reporting its does exactly what you say ie gives a heads up so you are looking for tarffic when you otherwise might not. I have gotten pretty good at interpolating when it is directionally reversed so better to be alerted and looking than with my old TIS never being alerted. Agreed maybe they will come out with a remote antenna mount which might be more directionally accurate or maybe you might be able to figure one out and since we are experimental no TSO stuff required? I would be interested in the remote antenna even if to test it. Best Gary.
    Gary, you're far more accomodating than I am. Back when several customers asked for Zaons (yep, you were the first!) and we started selling them we had one installed in our old Bonanza so we could speak personally to its efficacy. To me the Bonanza was a better test bed because we fly it higher and over longer distances, and we had it way out on the glareshield where there was no airframe interference as there is with the tubes in the Cub airframe.

After several long trips I had it removed, here's why: the data it presents is so unreliable that it impairs the pilot's ability to make a decision based on it. I've been on flight following quite a bit with it and had it completely miss targets that center called out to me, had it flip/flop targets directionally as you mention, and had spontaneous targets (ghosts) appear that weren't really there. Bottom line: as PIC can you make a decision based on the data presented? I could not so I took it out.

All that said let me confess a bit of a personal bias: to me an instrument in an aircraft has one sole purpose -- to present data to the pilot. As such it should be as ACCURATE as possible. To me close isn't good enough, I want/need accurate data so I can make decisions accordingly. So, when selecting instruments accuracy and reliablity are the single most important attributes to me, followed then by ergonomics or the intuitiveness of the presentation. That's why I don't like old fashioned mechanical airspeed indicators and such, they are simply an order of magnitude less accurate than any of the newer generation electronic instruments, I have proven this to myself countless times with real life actual examples. A traffic system that gives me data that is correct maybe 60% of the time just won't cut it for me -- when a target is presented and I should break right immediately to avoid a collision should I do it or not? Sorry, any ambiguity regarding a pending collision is not acceptable to me, I'd rather just rely on my eyes. Eventually ADS-B will take care of this anyway, we all just need to wait a few years.

Ok, off soapbox now, just one pilot's opinion, fwiw.
    Randy Lervold