Thread: Welcome "Tim-ECI"

Default Welcome "Tim-ECI"

A quick welcome to Tim Morland of ECI who recently joined the forum and will provide technical info from ECI from time to time. Tim is a wealth of technical information and has been an indespensible part of the team that helped develop the CC340.

Tim's user name is "Tim-ECI", feel free to post any CC340 related questions here to him.
    Randy Lervold

Default Re: Welcome "Tim-ECI"

Hi Tim welcome, what is your opinion regarding the use of mogas under E-lsa in your engines ? Can the engine handle same and does the presence of ethanol change your thoughts? If the answer is that the engine is not recommended for mogas what would happen if an occasional use were made such as in remote areas or islands where avgas is not readily available. Do you have any thought on use of Marvel mystery oil and or TCP to break up the lead? Regards Gary
    Last edited by glickle; 05-19-2010 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by glickle View Post
    Hi Tim welcome, what is your opinion regarding the use of mogas under E-lsa in your engines ? Can the engine handle same and does the presence of ethanol change your thoughts? If the answer is that the engine is not recommended for mogas what would happen if an occasional use were made such as in remote areas or islands where avgas is not readily available. Do you have any thought on use of Marvel mystery oil and or TCP to break up the lead? Regards Gary
    Excellent question!
    Also, do we have oil pressure bypass valves vrs vernatherm valves?
    Bill

Hi Bill,
    I'm glad to part of this forum supporting the Cubcrafter's fleet. Regarding MoGas, I would be comfortable with occasional use but not a steady diet of the stuff, especially if it has ethanol in it. The pump gas you get along the street varies from station to station and week to week and you never really know what you are putting in the tank. Most of us go through a tank quick enough that we don't suffer adverse affects from sitting and we have computers in our cars that compensate for deficiencies in the fuel- that is not the case with aircraft engines.
    On your question regarding vernatherms, bypass valves, etc we need to clear up some terminology. If your engine is equipped with an oil filter adapter it has a hole for the thermostatic bypass valve (Vernatherm) which expands as it heats up and diverts oil to the cooler. The 340 in the Carbon Cub is not equipped with an oil filter so it has a spring and plunger that serves as the oil cooler bypass mechanism. The bypass allows oil to circulate if the oil in the cooler is cold enough to be congealed (this can be avoided with pre-heat).
    On the right hand crankcase above the #3 cylinder is the oil pressure adjustment valve which uses a ball and spring. By adjusting the threaded rod you adjust oil pressure to specifications and then secure the rod in place with a locknut.

I hope this helps and I'll be glad to answer any other questions you may have.

Tim Morland
    ECI

Quote Originally Posted by Tim-ECI View Post
    Hi Bill,

On your question regarding vernatherms, bypass valves, etc we need to clear up some terminology. If your engine is equipped with an oil filter adapter it has a hole for the thermostatic bypass valve (Vernatherm) which expands as it heats up and diverts oil to the cooler. The 340 in the Carbon Cub is not equipped with an oil filter so it has a spring and plunger that serves as the oil cooler bypass mechanism. The bypass allows oil to circulate if the oil in the cooler is cold enough to be congealed (this can be avoided with pre-heat).

Tim Morland
    ECI
    Tim, thanks for the reply. I did install an oil filter adapter on my 340. Where do I buy the thermostatic bypass value? Part number?

I looked all over the ECI web site and could not find any reference.

Thanks.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Hi Bill,
    The ECI part number is AEL19600 and it's official name is Valve, Temperature Control so the description is a bit confusing. We sell it for about 200.00.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim-ECI View Post
    Hi Bill,
    The ECI part number is AEL19600 and it's official name is Valve, Temperature Control so the description is a bit confusing. We sell it for about 200.00.

Tim
    Tim,

Thanks for the information. And thanks for participating in the forum. Just ordered a "Valve, Temperature Control" from CubCrafters.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA