Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cowling nut plates.

Default Cowling nut plates.

Anyone have any regrets with the nut plates on the cowl? Do you wish you had camlocs? I planned to just use the nut plates but figured I would get some opinions in case I should change my mind. Nut plates are more secure in my opinion. I know over time nut plates wear the screw down, but a replacement makes them tight again. Takes a bit more time to get the cowl off but it should not have to come off more than oil changes once the bugs are worked out.

Match drilling now.

Let me know your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Cowling nut plates.

I have used the Skybolt CLoc fasteners on several applications and they are great. They use an adjustable receiver which doesn't require different length stud for each hole. The 2000 series works well for the cowling.

https://store.skybolt.com/2000-series-c1199.aspx

Any chance you have the part numbers and how many you ordered for the cowling? I would like to use these and I will be fitting the cowling in a week. I looked at the website and I am a little confused on what to order or how they work. On my last plane I had cam locks which I liked. If you happen to have a pic of how they look on your cowl that would be great also...

Thanks a lot,

Jason

If I did it again I would go with these: http://milspecproducts.com/c_spec_28...rd__flush_head
    The base is adjustable so you never need to worry about getting the right length camloc for the depth of the material. It looks like the Skybolt fastener use the same kind of base. If you do go with these get the split retainer washer not the star washer.
    Last edited by stede52; 02-23-2016 at 09:21 AM.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Quote Originally Posted by stede52 View Post
    If I did it again I would go with these: http://milspecproducts.com/c_spec_28...rd__flush_head
    The base is adjustable so you never need to worry about getting the right length camloc for the depth of the material. It looks like the Skybolt fastener use the same kind of base. If you do go with these get the split retainer washer not the star washer.
    This is what I used from Skybolt. Work great!

SK28S3-2S
    SK213-2

rich,

How many hours do you have on your CC with the fasteners? I talked to the factory and they are worried these may not be as tight as a machine screw and carbon is very bad with abrasion. At any rate, if you have some time on them I may give it a try.

thanks again,

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by kemper28 View Post
    rich,

How many hours do you have on your CC with the fasteners? I talked to the factory and they are worried these may not be as tight as a machine screw and carbon is very bad with abrasion. At any rate, if you have some time on them I may give it a try.

thanks again,

Jason
    Jason, I only have a little over 100 hrs. on them. They seem to be holding up fairly well.
    I have never had one come out inadvertently. I have noticed some wear on the holes in cowling, but not enough to be concerned. Since they are adjustable, you can tighten them if need be.

Richard

Richard (et al),

I'm getting close to fitting the cowl. How are the quarter turn fasteners working? Would you use them again?
    Any other advise for cowl fasteners?

Thank you,

David

David, I have 187 hrs on fasteners. I don’t see any more wear on cowl than I did at 100. I have photos that I took this morning if u like I can send them your way. No wear on carbon fiber at all. A bit on the aluminum boot cowl in one place is all.

Quote Originally Posted by richphil View Post
    David, I have 187 hrs on fasteners. I don’t see any more wear on cowl than I did at 100. I have photos that I took this morning if u like I can send them your way. No wear on carbon fiber at all. A bit on the aluminum boot cowl in one place is all.
    The abrasion on carbon with these would be a worry. We have brought this up in the past. Still machine screws are best. Always easy to extract during annual but they should be hand torqued not with screw gun. Also tap all of them as a part of pre flight. Loose ones chime.

Thank you
    Mark
    Cub Crafters
    Factory Direct New & Used Aircraft Sales
    NorthEast & Great Lakes Region