Thread: Dynon version 14 upgrade.

Default Dynon version 14 upgrade.

Installed ADS-B out and upgraded to V. 14 software. Was wondering if anyone else has done so and figured the glide ring parameters. Mitch said the best glide speed is 68 mph. Dynon ask for this and the sink rate in order to configure the glide rings. I took the EX up and pulled power off until I had a stable 68 mph glide speed. Timed it for 1 minute and got 740' sink rate. I plugged this into the setup on skyview and got the rings to show up. Not sure this was the proper way to do this. 740 fpm seems excessive. Anybody want to comment? BTW, I have 29" Tundra tires and extended tanks. Empty weight of 1022 lbs.

Richard Phillips

Default Re: Dynon version 14 upgrade.

I've installed v14 but I haven't setup the glide rings, I'll have to do that and report back. 68mph seems a bit fast but I haven't done any testing yet. However it is another good excuse to fly!!
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Quote Originally Posted by stede52 View Post
    I've installed v14 but I haven't setup the glide rings, I'll have to do that and report back. 68mph seems a bit fast but I haven't done any testing yet. However it is another good excuse to fly!!
    Steve, I would be interested in knowing what your sink rate is. Let us know when you check it.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by richphil View Post
    Steve, I would be interested in knowing what your sink rate is. Let us know when you check it.

Richard
    I was flying this morning with the new 2020 when I noticed an aircraft on my 6 showing up on the panel. The female voice was screaming Traffic, traffic. Said the altitude was the same as mine. Of course I turned hard right to get out of his way and noticed he was following me. I then turned left and he continued to follow me. I thought maybe I was about to get into a dog fight in a Carbon Cub EX until I realized it was my plane showing up on the screen. I am sure this warrants a call to the Tech department at Dynon. It even showed an orange line with an arrow on my same heading although it laggeed a bit after I made my turns. Go figure!

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by richphil View Post
    I was flying this morning with the new 2020 when I noticed an aircraft on my 6 showing up on the panel. The female voice was screaming Traffic, traffic. Said the altitude was the same as mine. Of course I turned hard right to get out of his way and noticed he was following me. I then turned left and he continued to follow me. I thought maybe I was about to get into a dog fight in a Carbon Cub EX until I realized it was my plane showing up on the screen. I am sure this warrants a call to the Tech department at Dynon. It even showed an orange line with an arrow on my same heading although it laggeed a bit after I made my turns. Go figure!

Richard
    This sounds like the ghost issue. When the FAA restricted ADS -B traffic-in, we had this same problem until we installed V14 and updated the the Dynon transponder. Until then, we did not see ADS OK, rather ADS TIS. The revisions solved the problem, but we notice it takes a little longer to go from ADS NO Radar, to ADS OK, maybe two to three minutes, likely an FAA computer issue. There is a lengthy discussion on the Dynon forum, part of the problem was the FAA not updating all their computers simultaneously and not telling anyone.

We are still trying to get the glide ring working, there are three parameters that needs to be setup, Sink Rate, Best Glide Speed, and Map Items. If you have an EX at a higher gross weight, best glide may be higher than the LSA 68 MPH. Others were not able to put the setup process together, but they have clarified it.

We are very pleased with Dynon's Skyview, our only minor item is TAS reading 5 or 6 knots too high at cruise speed, which causes the wind readings to be slightly off . This is likely a static port input error problem. We put dual static ports on before CubCrafter did the same, no doubt they did some testing for the best location. Ours are on the panel aft of the boot cowl similar to most Super Cubs and we may be getting static pressure change as airspeed increases. We switched to static input inside the cockpit and that helps a little. We have tried to change the airflow over the external ports, without any luck. If anyone with a Dynon has had this problem, we would appreciate any information.

Quote Originally Posted by DRL View Post
    This sounds like the ghost issue. When the FAA restricted ADS -B traffic-in, we had this same problem until we installed V14 and updated the the Dynon transponder. Until then, we did not see ADS OK, rather ADS TIS. The revisions solved the problem, but we notice it takes a little longer to go from ADS NO Radar, to ADS OK, maybe two to three minutes, likely an FAA computer issue. There is a lengthy discussion on the Dynon forum, part of the problem was the FAA not updating all their computers simultaneously and not telling anyone.

We are still trying to get the glide ring working, there are three parameters that needs to be setup, Sink Rate, Best Glide Speed, and Map Items. If you have an EX at a higher gross weight, best glide may be higher than the LSA 68 MPH. Others were not able to put the setup process together, but they have clarified it.

We are very pleased with Dynon's Skyview, our only minor item is TAS reading 5 or 6 knots too high at cruise speed, which causes the wind readings to be slightly off . This is likely a static port input error problem. We put dual static ports on before CubCrafter did the same, no doubt they did some testing for the best location. Ours are on the panel aft of the boot cowl similar to most Super Cubs and we may be getting static pressure change as airspeed increases. We switched to static input inside the cockpit and that helps a little. We have tried to change the airflow over the external ports, without any luck. If anyone with a Dynon has had this problem, we would appreciate any information.

Dave, after reviewing my settings on Dynon, I found that the transponder needed additional setup also. A warning appeared saying it needed updating. Thanks to your input I feel sure this will solve the problem. I assume the software was contained in V. 14 because it updated just fine when selected. Weather here has been horrible everyday since and will continue through Wednesday. I will be able to test flight the system Thursday.

As far as the glide ring setup, it was no problem. Seems to be working fine after I entered the info. I also had installed two static ports in my cub before Cubcrafters started doing it (Thanks to Mitch's suggestion during the build). I have had no problems with TAS readings. My ports are outside just aft of the boot cowl on both sides. I used the same static ports from Avery Tool that I had used on my RV7. I had two Dynon 10" screens in it and never had any issues. I have upgraded to a new Touchscreen in my cub and have had no issues except of my own making or ignorance. I am very pleased also with Dynon Skyview and would highly recommend it.
    Thanks for your input.

Richard

I've got all the correct Dynon hardware and v14, however I don't have the new 2020 antenna and I'm still getting ghosting. One day it will be there and the next its gone. I need to read up on the Dynon forum about the issue. I still love my Dynons, however the only complaint I have is that they don't have a their own Nav Charts like Garmin
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Quote Originally Posted by stede52 View Post
    I've got all the correct Dynon hardware and v14, however I don't have the new 2020 antenna and I'm still getting ghosting. One day it will be there and the next its gone. I need to read up on the Dynon forum about the issue. I still love my Dynons, however the only complaint I have is that they don't have a their own Nav Charts like Garmin
    I upgraded to V14 with the 2020 GPS. So far so good. Everything works.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA