Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for Carbon Cub

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Recommendations for Carbon Cub

New member here!

I have been fantasizing on the Carbon Cub for the past couple of days. Can you guys give me some advice as far as options? I would be using it mostly for camping and fishing. Would like to configure it to be able to land easily in some remote areas-like river banks and such. I also would like the option to carry a passenger and 50 lbs. in gear (around 400 lbs. of flesh max). As far as avionics, I am leaning toward the deluxe panel for weather related purposes.

Thanks in advance.
    GM

Default Re: Recommendations for Carbon Cub

26 or 29 inch tires are a must. Performance Paint to save weight. Executive panel also weighs less than Deluxe panel.

Ditto, ditto, ditto re equip[range and go ELSA. There are many benefits of ELSA like you can legally fly at night as private pilot with the light package where technically SLSA you cant. ( makes no sense but true) There is no empty weight restriction as noted below and you can do your own work on the plane after taking the 16 hour LSA repairman course, you can also add any equipment you want and still be legal etc etc. etc etc. Call Jim Stewart at Falcon Insurance (830) 257-1000 as they were great re covergae and understand the ELSA election and I had no changes to rate but only had changes after adding amphibs. Best Gary

This is all great info- thanks a bunch. Now it's time to pencil it out. What dealer should I go through or do I just talk directly to CC?

Thanks,
    GM

Quote Originally Posted by munrokicker View Post
    This is all great info- thanks a bunch. Now it's time to pencil it out. What dealer should I go through or do I just talk directly to CC?

Thanks,
    GM
    We have Certified Sales Centers with exclusive territories covering most of the country. If you're from Reno then you'll deal with Royce Anderson at Horsefly Aviation. Check the map here for details. We look forward to you joining the family!
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by ninerpilot View Post
    I'm also hoping one day to get into a CC product. I love the looks of the CarbonCub and everyone is raving. But I have a question about real world applications with a useful load around 400 lbs. The original poster (OP) said that his use needs are '400 lbs of flesh plus 50lbs of gear'. So, can someone help me understand the math? 1320 - 920 (E-LSA equipped as desired) leaves 400 lbs of useful load. The OP is 50 lbs over gross before loading fuel.

Understanding that the 1320 gross is a certification limit and that the aircraft is tested to 1865 lbs gross, I know the aircraft will perform the mission with muscle to spare. But if the OP loads his E-LSA certified aircraft to about 1500 lbs (which is what it sounds like his mission will require), he is technically busting regs and without published W&B data, has no way of really knowing if he is safe. He is now a test pilot.

So I guess I'd like to hear from some Carbon Cub owners out there. How are you dealing with the limited useful load in the real world. Can you get two adults in the airplane and go anywhere? I see several videos on YouTube of Carbon Cubs flying with two adults on board, but it seems like there could only be very little fuel on board.

I've always done my best to operate in a way that is safe and legal. I would not want to suggest that the airplane can be operated above gross weight. It seems to me that publishing that the airplane has been tested to 1865 lbs and that the 80hp limitation is also statutory naturally encourages thoughts that the airplane can be operated above the LSA limits.
    Just picked up new CC. I weigh 150 and my passenger weighs 180. We used full fuel all the way home and had about 40 pounds of stuff in the back. Not even a problem.

Armauer I am confused are you using 1865 GW or 1320GW
    EV

I am leaning toward the deluxe panel for weather related purposes.
    I think that is a good way to lean.

To help with your dreaming while you make a decision you might like to look at Ben Hodges videos on YouTube.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    I think that is a good way to lean.

To help with your dreaming while you make a decision you might like to look at Ben Hodges videos on YouTube.
    The video is making it that much harder to wait! Unfortunately I don't think they make a configuration that will fit all of my requirements since the max empty is 900 lbs. I am at 915.xx.

Regards,
    GM

The video is making it that much harder to wait! Unfortunately I don't think they make a configuration that will fit all of my requirements since the max empty is 900 lbs. I am at 915.xx.

Regards,
    GM
    Get it E-LSA.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA