Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommendations for Carbon Cub

Default Re: Recommendations for Carbon Cub

I'm also hoping one day to get into a CC product. I love the looks of the CarbonCub and everyone is raving. But I have a question about real world applications with a useful load around 400 lbs. The original poster (OP) said that his use needs are '400 lbs of flesh plus 50lbs of gear'. So, can someone help me understand the math? 1320 - 920 (E-LSA equipped as desired) leaves 400 lbs of useful load. The OP is 50 lbs over gross before loading fuel.

Understanding that the 1320 gross is a certification limit and that the aircraft is tested to 1865 lbs gross, I know the aircraft will perform the mission with muscle to spare. But if the OP loads his E-LSA certified aircraft to about 1500 lbs (which is what it sounds like his mission will require), he is technically busting regs and without published W&B data, has no way of really knowing if he is safe. He is now a test pilot.

So I guess I'd like to hear from some Carbon Cub owners out there. How are you dealing with the limited useful load in the real world. Can you get two adults in the airplane and go anywhere? I see several videos on YouTube of Carbon Cubs flying with two adults on board, but it seems like there could only be very little fuel on board.

I've always done my best to operate in a way that is safe and legal. I would not want to suggest that the airplane can be operated above gross weight. It seems to me that publishing that the airplane has been tested to 1865 lbs and that the 80hp limitation is also statutory naturally encourages thoughts that the airplane can be operated above the LSA limits.
    To go up, pull back on the stick. To go down, pull back harder on the stick.

Quote Originally Posted by ninerpilot View Post
    I'm also hoping one day to get into a CC product. I love the looks of the CarbonCub and everyone is raving. But I have a question about real world applications with a useful load around 400 lbs. The original poster (OP) said that his use needs are '400 lbs of flesh plus 50lbs of gear'. So, can someone help me understand the math? 1320 - 920 (E-LSA equipped as desired) leaves 400 lbs of useful load. The OP is 50 lbs over gross before loading fuel.

Understanding that the 1320 gross is a certification limit and that the aircraft is tested to 1865 lbs gross, I know the aircraft will perform the mission with muscle to spare. But if the OP loads his E-LSA certified aircraft to about 1500 lbs (which is what it sounds like his mission will require), he is technically busting regs and without published W&B data, has no way of really knowing if he is safe. He is now a test pilot.

So I guess I'd like to hear from some Carbon Cub owners out there. How are you dealing with the limited useful load in the real world. Can you get two adults in the airplane and go anywhere? I see several videos on YouTube of Carbon Cubs flying with two adults on board, but it seems like there could only be very little fuel on board.

I've always done my best to operate in a way that is safe and legal. I would not want to suggest that the airplane can be operated above gross weight. It seems to me that publishing that the airplane has been tested to 1865 lbs and that the 80hp limitation is also statutory naturally encourages thoughts that the airplane can be operated above the LSA limits.
    Just picked up new CC. I weigh 150 and my passenger weighs 180. We used full fuel all the way home and had about 40 pounds of stuff in the back. Not even a problem.

Armauer I am confused are you using 1865 GW or 1320GW
    EV

Ninerpilot, You kinda answered your own question. In the real world 1320 is the gross weight to meet the LSA rule. 1865 is the tested GW so 1500 is safe . not a test pilot cause its tested to 1865. hope that helps. It is a gray area to some. Almost all LSA aircraft are downgraded in either speed, or gross weight or other from there country of origin to meet the USA LSA rule. No other lsa in the world performs like a carbon cub .

The regs are what they are. Same with the real world facts. And the facts are that the Carbon Cub S-LSA/E-LSA is probably "safer" operating over 1320 than under it.

That extra weight goes further back in the plane, which yields "safer" ground handling when operating in windy conditions because the Carbon Cub is a very light airplane. An "over weight" LSA Carbon Cub is also safer in the event of a full-out, slam-on-the-brakes emergency stop, because the nose-over threshold goes up with more weight in the back. When we participate in STOL demonstrations or competition we always cram weight in the back to increase our maximum effort braking effectiveness. The 3X3 extended gear serves the same function.

You can get a Carbon Cub that says "1865" in the POH, but it comes as a kit and you have to build it yourself. Same airplane off the line in Yakima says "1320" in the POH.

Most pilots, and most of our customers, are by-the-book people. We do not encourage them to change that trait. But they all learn to appreciate the fact that when they operate their Carbon Cubs at the LSA max gross, they have an enormous margin of safety.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hodges View Post
    You can get a Carbon Cub that says "1865" in the POH, but it comes as a kit and you have to build it yourself. Same airplane off the line in Yakima says "1320" in the POH.
    Not exactly. There are some differences between production line and kit built. On the kit, the stabs, elevators, tail brace wires, shock struts, bungee/hydrasorb, and bungee covers are from the Top Cub. The landing gear is the CC 3" extended PMA'd gear for the Super Cub. The fuselage is modified to accept above parts. The tubes around the float fittings have an increased thickness, and an extra tube has been added on the bottom to comlete and "X" in the float attach area.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Tepool View Post
    Not exactly. There are some differences between production line and kit built. On the kit, the stabs, elevators, tail brace wires, shock struts, bungee/hydrasorb, and bungee covers are from the Top Cub. The landing gear is the CC 3" extended PMA'd gear for the Super Cub. The fuselage is modified to accept above parts. The tubes around the float fittings have an increased thickness, and an extra tube has been added on the bottom to comlete and "X" in the float attach area.
    There is no modification needed on any version of a Carbon Cub/Sport Cub airframe to accept Top Cub or Super Cub landing gear. The fittings and bolt sizes are all the same, it just bolts on.

Pete D.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    There is no modification needed on any version of a Carbon Cub/Sport Cub airframe to accept Top Cub or Super Cub landing gear. The fittings and bolt sizes are all the same, it just bolts on.

Pete D.
    I guess I could've been more specific to say that the Kit Program states that the fuselage is modified to accept the Top Cub elevator and stabilizer, rather than "above parts".