Thread: Ads-b question

Default Ads-b question

if I have the Garmin 20A ads-b out installed but no GDL-39R ads-b IN, can I still get a full traffic picture on an ipad with a stratus unit ?

Thomas Autrey
    KHEG

Default Re: Ads-b question

Quote Originally Posted by tautrey View Post
    if I have the Garmin 20A ads-b out installed but no GDL-39R ads-b IN, can I still get a full traffic picture on an ipad with a stratus unit ?
    Yes, as the 20A (+ your ADS-B Out transponder) will wake up the towers and send you back ATC traffic.
    N80DB #119 E-LSA / G3X Touch

Default Ads-b question

Quote Originally Posted by tautrey View Post
    Marcus is correct but I would like to build on that for clarification purposes.

As far as the GPS 20A
    It is JUST the position source that is connected to the installed GTX 23ES transponder. It makes the transponder ADS-B "Out" compliant.

As far as displaying ADS-B "In" on an Ipad
    It's not the Ipad that cares which receiver it's connected to......it's the app that the Ipad is running.
    • If you have a Stratus, traffic will display on the ForeFlight app (as well as some other apps I believe).
    • If you have a GDL-39, you'll need the Garmin Pilot app to view traffic on the Ipad.

FYI - The G3X Touch will display a traffic picture from an installed GDL 39R. In split screen mode, half the screen is dedicated to this page. Normally you have to make several taps or clicks of the knob to get to this page. I prefer to use one of the inset windows in the lower corners of full screen mode to display traffic. If something shows as traffic in the inset window, then I tap the inset window and it takes me strait to the traffic page. This is the benefit of installing the GDL 39R. Without a version of the GDL, the traffic page goes unused.

20160211_155824.jpg
    Traffic inset window in the lower right.

20160211_155923.jpg
    Tap the inset window and it takes you straight to the Traffic page.
    Last edited by Dickey; 02-14-2016 at 12:54 PM.
    Matt Dickey
    Manager,