Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: G3X in the CarbonCub EX?

Default Re: G3X in the CarbonCub EX?

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    We often do custom work on a plane after it is certified. We call this "post-cert" work because it happens after certification and is done by the craftsmen over in our rebuild shop. Dr. Maurer's panel was a post-cert option. We've had a fair amount of interest in G3X panels and have 2 more such post-cert projects in the queue. Be advised though that these are not cheap panels, Garmin is quite proud of their avionics.
    Thanks Randy. Do you know what autopilot was installed and how it is performing?

The autopilot we typically install is the Tru Trak Digiflight II VS. In the panel with the G3X we used the Tru Trak GX Pilot as that one is designed to interface with the G3X system.

If you have a Dynon D180 or Skyview in the panel they have an auto pilot as well but it doesn't fly the CC quite as well as a Tru Trak, though they plan to work on making it better this year.

Pete D.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan View Post

Question: Why are so many pilots dentists who can't golf worth a crap?
    Because we have to find stuff to do since we only work 4 days a week!

I am about to finish the second wing. There is no information in my EX Manuals to explain how to install the necessary components in the wings that support the G3X electronics package. Mitch sent the G3X parts for the wings when I found them missing from my kit. In the Drop Box files for my EX there is this pdf file titled Executive Glass Touch Panel CCEX with some drawings, info, etc.

I have a few questions about what I see.
    1. Pitot tube placement left wing: On page 17 of that pdf it shows a color photo at the left wing main spar butt. There you can see the two pitot tubes, one blue and one green, pushed out between the spar and the #1 main rib and crossing over the back side of the drag wire block-fitting. All ready the tubes are scarred up from installing them thru this area. It looks like they are wrapped with friction tape then some anti chaff tubbing. I have also seen the tubes passed thru the one inch hole in the ribs that's directly behind the compression tube there. A grommet is installed there to protect the tubes. This is the hole where the drag wire penetrates the doubled rib also. What's the best solution? I don't have a grommet.
    2. When I place the wiring for the Magnetometer in the back lower edge of the aft spar how far out from the butt of the spar should it protrude to make the connection when wings are mounted?
    3. Do I install the Magnetometer mount now or some time later? I see there are two parts to the mount. One bolts to the spar and it looks like the second part secures the Magnetometer to the first mount. I guess its all positioned within some tolerance setting procedure during calibration of the AHARS. What should I do here?
    4. In the wing assembly is the dual pitot tubes and pitot mounts for the left wing and Magnetometer, mount and wiring for it in the right wing all that's needed for the Garmin G3X?

Thanks

Jim Morrical
    Last edited by jmorrical; 03-01-2016 at 10:06 PM.

Jim:

Does this help?

http://www.cubcraftersforums.com/sho...ll=1#post11263

If the link does not work, check my build blog, November 10, 2014, #37

Chuck

1) I am using the fiberglass/plastic type chafing sleeve. There was not enough in the kit and Mitch shipped me some.

2) I placed the magnetometer to be sure there is enough slack to make the connection. I then removed the Mag bracket before covering.

3) Mount it later, lots of room with the large access panel.

4) Yes, pitot and magnetometer mount and you are covered.

Thanks Troy and Chuck.

Jim Morrical

Smile Re: G3X in the CarbonCub EX?

Jim,

Two questions. Do you have the magnetometer yet and are your mounting holes pre drilled in the spar? My spar was pre G3x and not pre drilled. Drill all your holes before you cover the wing or you will never get the shavings out and you will see them forever! You will need to permanently mount your pitot mount before covering. You can't get to the front of the spar after covering.

If you do have the magnetometer, mount everything up. The mount is two pieces that need to be riveted together. It also needs holes drilled in the top of the mount to secure the magnetometer to the mount. This can all be done on the bench. It is nice to assemble the entire thing, mount it and run and secure the wire through the wing before you start covering. You want to keep the wire right out the top of the magnetometer tight or it will rub the covering on the upper wing. I left the mount in, that way I don't have to cut the forward inspection hole out if it's mounted correctly.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cubrath; 03-02-2016 at 09:12 PM.

I would like to go ahead and mount the magnetometer mounting bracket and leave it in when I cover the wing, but wonder about the ability (or need) to make an adjustment to the mount to achieve level with the longitudinal axis after covering. It seems that whether the mount needs plus or minus adjustment to achieve level with longitudinal axis is something folks should already know and is something that could be done to the mount on the bench before covering.

Does somebody know whether mount needs adjustment and if so the number of degrees?

Thanks,

Phil Bruns, Huntsville, TX

Phil,

You want to put your mounting bracket together and be sure it is all good and fits the holes in the spar before cover but you do not want to install it or the magnetometer yet. There have been problems with them getting damaged (or at least messed up by getting banged around) and you have to mount the magnetometer with rivets into a mounting ring on the bracket when you install.

So don’t mount the bracket or magnetometer until about the last thing you do in your build before flying. There are no adjustments to be made physically. You will have to calibrate it on a compass rose with the built in software before your first flight (along with a few other calibration and tests for the ADHRS).

Check out post #15 here http://forum.cubcrafters.com/showthr...p-Hints/page16 and then number 103 later in the thread where I discuss mounting it in the wing.

Quote Originally Posted by PTB View Post
    I would like to go ahead and mount the magnetometer mounting bracket and leave it in when I cover the wing, but wonder about the ability (or need) to make an adjustment to the mount to achieve level with the longitudinal axis after covering. It seems that whether the mount needs plus or minus adjustment to achieve level with longitudinal axis is something folks should already know and is something that could be done to the mount on the bench before covering.

Does somebody know whether mount needs adjustment and if so the number of degrees?

Thanks,

Phil Bruns, Huntsville, TX
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..