Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: G3X in the CarbonCub EX?

Question G3X in the CarbonCub EX?

Regards,

I would like to know about installing the new Garmin G3X. Which panel is a better fit? Where does the AHC/ADC unit gofor maint. access?

I plan on using a STBY ADI as well so I need room for an audio panel and nav control panelalso.

Default Re: G3X in the CarbonCub EX?

Sounds like you will be building a custom panel which means none of our existing pre-cut panels would work. The G3X is the same box as the GDU375 which we use in our Performance VFR and Executive Glass panels. If you start with one of those you could make it work then just figure out what you want to populate the remain holes with. The G3X requires the separate GSU 73 AHRS module which includes the magnetometer (compass). You'll need to check with Garmin to see if mounting that inside a steel tube fuselage will work. The G3X mini site can be found here. Click on the "Hardware" menu to see the remote module.
    Randy Lervold

I just put a G3X system in an experimental SuperCub. In that installation I made a plate between the instrument panel and the firewall to mount the GSU73 AHRS box. The magnetometer we put out in the right wing tip. Its pretty sensitive, plan on using twisted pair shielded wire for ANY lighting or other electrical in the same wing as the magnetometer as well as running a ground wire all the way back to the airframe for same.

There isn't a lot of time on the installation yet but so far ground checks and initial flight check everything seems to work ok.

Feel free to post more specific questions if you would like. Keep in mind that I've only installed the one system so I can't quite claim "expert" status on that system, lol..

Pete D.

Thumbs up Re: G3X in the CarbonCub EX?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    I just put a G3X system in an experimental SuperCub. In that installation I made a plate between the instrument panel and the firewall to mount the GSU73 AHRS box. The magnetometer we put out in the right wing tip. Its pretty sensitive, plan on using twisted pair shielded wire for ANY lighting or other electrical in the same wing as the magnetometer as well as running a ground wire all the way back to the airframe for same.

There isn't a lot of time on the installation yet but so far ground checks and initial flight check everything seems to work ok.

Feel free to post more specific questions if you would like. Keep in mind that I've only installed the one system so I can't quite claim "expert" status on that system, lol..

Pete D.
    "At first I couldn't even spell xpert ('mechanic' actually) now I are one" Right on rudebager!

Roger that on the sensitive magnetometer, I'd use 18ga wire for lighting power and ground could be 16ga for good measure. You'll get a good ground from the aluminum wing and that would mean less wire weight. Shielded twisted wire is a signal wire and doesn't help when useing it for power or grounds because it usually is 20ga or smaller like 22ga.
    With just 12VDC you are better off using 18ga or 16ga (larger and much heavier) so that the resistance in the wire is less and you don't create as much electromagnetic induction. Since you mounted the magnetometer on the wing tip and it's close to a nav light you may have a little compensation to do on the compass swing. On a flux detector you have 10 degrees +or- of correction so that means a little left maybe a degree. It takes a calibrated sight compass to be sure.

Please let me know how it works out because I like the info on that system (G3X) but don't know how much intyerfernce from the steel airframe you'll get. If it's on the wing tip according to the install PDF it is far enough away from the steel. What does it measure; 15'2"-3"s maybe?
    Cool beans dude!

Thanks
    Dave

P.S.
    definatily use shielded twisted pair or triple on the magnetometer!
    Last edited by djohnson; 05-12-2010 at 09:11 AM.

Pete, can you confirm that there is a separate magnetometer? With the G3X I thought the magnetometer was integrated into the remote AHRS unit, but I don't remember for sure.
    Randy Lervold

Yes, Garmin has a separate magnetometer. I couldn't remember what they called it before so I just looked up the name-its called a "GMU 44 Magnetometer". The Dynon Skyview magnetometer is integrated into one of the other boxes but Garmin's is separate.

Having the magnetometer separate makes the installation easier in my opinion, as it makes it less critical where the AHRS box goes, you can put it in a more convenient location.

Pete D.
    Last edited by Pete D; 05-12-2010 at 10:07 AM.

Garmin has made the GMU 44 for some time now, I know it is used on the G1000 installs, lots of those out there.

Steve

[QUOTE=djohnson;967

You'll get a good ground from the aluminum wing and that would mean less wire weight. Shielded twisted wire is a signal wire and doesn't help when using it for power or grounds because it usually is 20ga or smaller like 22ga.

P.S.
    definantly use shielded twisted pair or triple on the magnetometer![/QUOTE]

Garmin's install manual specified that anything electrical in the wing needed to be grounded on the airframe, not the wing. Since it was a flying airplane when it came in the nav light ground was on the spar at the wing tip. We installed the magnetometer and tried to get it to pass its self check but it wouldn't with the nav light grounded on the wing. Ran twisted pair, grounded light and shield on airframe end, and it passed the self check just fine.

And yes, everything going to the magnetometer was shielded. Don't recall how many conductors off the top of my head but I do remember being surprised how many it needed. Wasn't 3 or 4, more like 8 or 10. I think the install kit might have included a harness for that that was cut to length but I could be wrong on that.

Pete D.

Here's my G3X plan. It looks like the trade-off in weight might add a pound or so to the "Performance" Panel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow..Nice panel..I like it! You got the good radio too!