Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: G3X in the CarbonCub EX?

Default Re: G3X in the CarbonCub EX?

Quote Originally Posted by couleeone View Post
    Wow..Nice panel..I like it! You got the good radio too!
    Thanks. The G3X packs a ton of information in a small space. This modern stuff is the way to go - 35 years ago I was flying with gauges that weren't all that much different from the 1920's. Nostalgia is great but not when I'm 5000 feet in the air and need to KNOW something. ;-)

Not sure how deep that audio panel is but may run into issues with tubing behind the panel.....I would have to take a look at one to be sure, its probably ok but something you have to think about when laying out a panel in an aircraft with a steel tubing fuselage.

So it looks like you are not planning on doing any of the engine monitoring with the G3X system? I see RPM and what looks like Oil P/T, right?

No fuel flow, egts, chts, volts, amps, etc? those aren't required but nice.

One thing about the G3X system is that it has SO much information that you almost have to have a second screen to be able to use all of it, though kind of hard to do in a Cub panel.

Just some thoughts...

Pete D.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    So it looks like you are not planning on doing any of the engine monitoring with the G3X system? I see RPM and what looks like Oil P/T, right?

Pete D.
    Hi Pete, the G3X will be doing engine monitoring. I added Oil P/T, Tach, and Airspeed gauges - those three would be redundant in the G3X along with monitoring everything else.

What I like is that no matter what page you're on in the G3X if there is a problem, it immediately comes to the forefront on the screen and tells you audibly as well. Since we get to define what a 'problem' is I would set conservative limits BEFORE (for example) a true overheat occurs. Set it and forget it! (sorta)

My motto is: Never fly worried. ;-)

Question: Why are so many pilots dentists who can't golf worth a crap?
    Last edited by RanRan; 08-01-2010 at 06:47 PM.

The G3X was looking good except the layout and the single screen display doesn't seem to work out for engine monitor plus ADI/HSI and moving map. I think I'll get the wide screen style like AFS has but until I see the clearance behind the panel I can't make up my mind on which type set up I'll use.

I like to see the HSI over the ADI with synthetic vision and the eng parameters under the flight displays.

We don't have redundant eng. gauges on the Kingairs but we do have caution advisory lites and stuff. When an engine has an exceedence the Altair Eng. monitor system will start blinking the Eng. lite and won't go out until the reset procedure is initiated or the fault is corrected. A red line is a red line and that's where it is.

I think my set up will have the EFIS/MFD configuration and a back up ADI/AS/ALT with oil press lt and audio,comm,xpdr. If it's digital it weighs less so I may go digital. \":"/

Clearance (depth) in the center of the panel is good, it's off to both sides where one can encounter interference with two fuselage bars.
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post

Pete D.
    OK - forget the Oil P/T to the left - it's going to be one of these:

http://www.insightavionics.com/g3.htm It's a new product. There's a photo of a guy trying to balance a prop on CUB in mid-flight. The G3 looks a lot easier. I like easier.

Prop balancing! Plus all the rest (and more to come.) Can you imagine that? Check it out.
    Last edited by RanRan; 08-02-2010 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan View Post
    OK - forget the Oil P/T to the left - it's going to be one of these:

http://www.insightavionics.com/g3.htm It's a new product. There's a photo of a guy trying to balance a prop on CUB in mid-flight. The G3 looks a lot easier. I like easier.

Prop balancing! Plus all the rest (and more to come.) Can you imagine that? Check it out.
    I am following this thread with interest. Did you ever build the GX3 panel?

what kind of $ is the G3X?
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Quote Originally Posted by couleeone View Post
    what kind of $ is the G3X?
    $12k + with weather. Not cheap but really cleans up the panel and works really well with the Tru-Trac AP from what I have read.

Jeez what happened to old fashion seat of the pants cubdriving? sure is a lot cheaper!! Do we really use all these toys in our cubs? Or are we distracted with overkill?

Dont get me wrong its all good but don't forget to save some $ for gas!!
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com