Thread: Upgrade to G3X Touch

Default Upgrade to G3X Touch

CubCrafters recently introduced our new service division, CubCrafters Avionics, to offer repair, service and instrument upgrades to our customers.

More than a year ago, CubCrafters participated as a launch partner with Garmin for their new G3X Touch, an advanced touchscreen flight display. To say the G3X Touch, implemented in our new Executive Glass touch panel, is a hit would be an understatement. 85% of our production Carbon Cubs have included the new Garmin glass since the intro... we'll call that a home run. Pilots love the wealth of information available on the display, as well as the refined integration of the entire panel.

Carbon Cub and Sport Cub owners who took delivery prior to the G3X Touch introduction can schedule an update to the new glass panel at CubCrafters Avionics. Just email Avionics Manager Matt Dickey, or give him a call at (509) 248-9491 for a quote and to make an appointment.
    Last edited by John Whitish; 02-04-2016 at 11:45 AM.

Default Re: Upgrade to G3X Touch

I am not sure if this is the proper place to post this but I wanted to share something about the G3X I learned today. I was out flying and decided to see if I could transfer my Foreflight flight plan to the G3X. Once I figured out how to Bluetooth my phone to the G3X the flight plan transferred perfectly to the G3X. I don't think this feature was available when I flew my airplane home from the factory in December unless you had Garmin Pilot. I have used Foreflight for years and I think it is awesome that Garmin has opened up this feature. I just thought I would mention it since I don't think it has been discussed on here. The G3X panel is awesome. I also fly a Mirage with the Avidyne panel and it is not even close to the G3X panel and autopilot.

Jimmy Elza

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyelza View Post
    I am not sure if this is the proper place to post this but I wanted to share something about the G3X I learned today. I was out flying and decided to see if I could transfer my Foreflight flight plan to the G3X. Once I figured out how to Bluetooth my phone to the G3X the flight plan transferred perfectly to the G3X. I don't think this feature was available when I flew my airplane home from the factory in December unless you had Garmin Pilot. I have used Foreflight for years and I think it is awesome that Garmin has opened up this feature. I just thought I would mention it since I don't think it has been discussed on here. The G3X panel is awesome. I also fly a Mirage with the Avidyne panel and it is not even close to the G3X panel and autopilot.

Jimmy Elza
    Jimmy,
    Where is the setting on the G3X that enables bluetooth?
    I will be purchasing an FX in the near future and I'm doing my ground school on the g3X for now.

Thomas Autrey
    KHEG

Quote Originally Posted by tautrey View Post
    Jimmy,
    I will be purchasing an FX in the near future and I'm doing my ground school on the g3X for now.
    Thomas,

I have found the G3X manual on Garmins website not very helpful. I dont remember exactly how I got the BT to connect. I think I hit the menu button twice then pressed the setup icon. The G3X is pretty intuitive I have found. You usually can get it to do what you want with a little button pressing. The menu button usually helps find features that aren't right in front of you. I know this isn't much help but it works for me. If you fly your plane home from Yakima you should have the G3X down to a science by the time you get home. Previous Garmin experience also really helps.

Jimmy Elza

Quote Originally Posted by John Whitish View Post

CubCrafters recently introduced our new service division, CubCrafters Avionics, to offer repair, service and instrument upgrades to our customers.

More than a year ago, CubCrafters participated as a launch partner with Garmin for their new G3X Touch, an advanced touchscreen flight display. To say the G3X Touch, implemented in our new Executive Glass touch panel, is a hit would be an understatement. 85% of our production Carbon Cubs have included the new Garmin glass since the intro... we'll call that a home run. Pilots love the wealth of information available on the display, as well as the refined integration of the entire panel.

Carbon Cub and Sport Cub owners who took delivery prior to the G3X Touch introduction can schedule an update to the new glass panel at CubCrafters Avionics. Just email Avionics Manager Matt Dickey, or give him a call at (509) 248-9491 for a quote and to make an appointment.
    While the G3X Touch panel continues to be a favorite among Carbon Cub pilots and owners, I would like to add that we are here to serve all of the Cub community. Regardless of whether you own a Top Cub, Carbon Cub, or Super Cub, we are here to answer your avionics questions and provide service for those who wish to update or upgrade their equipment.
    Matt Dickey
    Manager,

Default Upgrade to G3X Touch

Quote Originally Posted by tautrey View Post
    Thomas,

Section 8.10 (pg 218) of the G3X Touch Pilots Guide, Rev E. gives instruction on VIRB Video Input. Record/Capture controls are wireless but a cable is required for the video feed to the G3X display. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Dickey; 02-08-2016 at 06:53 PM.
    Matt Dickey
    Manager,

The video cable is why I haven't purchased a VIRB yet. I guess that's fine for inside the cockpit video but not very convenient for strut mounts, etc. As far as transferring flight plans I've been doing that from day one via Garmin Pilot. Had no idea it worked with Foreflight. I'm curious if anyone is using VIRB outside the cockpit using G3X wireless controls? By the way GoPro wireless is very unpredictable and unreliable when mounted on the wing strut. The only time I'll ever attempt to use GoPro is when I'm willing to hit record before takeoff and let it run as long as the battery last.

The cable is only necessary for getting the video feed to the G3X Touch display. If you want to view the feed from a camera that is mounted on the wing or some other remote location, you can connect the VIRB to the Garmin Pilot app via wi-fi connection. The Garmin Pilot app will allow you to view and control the video feed.

Sorry.......I know this doesn't help the folks using Foreflight.

-Matt-
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Matt Dickey
    Manager,

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    The cable is only necessary for getting the video feed to the G3X Touch display. If you want to view the feed from a camera that is mounted on the wing or some other remote location, you can connect the VIRB to the Garmin Pilot app via wi-fi connection. The Garmin Pilot app will allow you to view and control the video feed.

Sorry.......I know this doesn't help the folks using Foreflight.
    Dickey,
    How hard would it be to pre-wire the G3x with an RCA video cable and route it inside the wing strut ? You could connect it to the virb video/headset adapter which has an RCA lead with a female RCA jack. This could be another option for the FX.

-Matt-
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tautrey; 02-09-2016 at 05:15 AM.

Thomas Autrey
    KHEG