Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PM 1200 VOX issues

Default PM 1200 VOX issues

I have Carbon cub #100 with a
    pm 1200 intercom. The VOX doesnt work very good as it cuts a lot of words off. doesnt seem to be any manuel adjustment for this. Has anyone had similiar problems and if so how did you fix it?

Default Re: PM 1200 VOX issues

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyroyce View Post
    I have Carbon cub #100 with a
    pm 1200 intercom. The VOX doesnt work very good as it cuts a lot of words off. doesnt seem to be any manuel adjustment for this. Has anyone had similiar problems and if so how did you fix it?
    Hi Royce,

Just curious - what headset are you using?
    Becky Teerink

Hi Becky, I have been using a lightspeed zulu,and also a Bose X

Hi Becky, I have been using a lightspeed zulu,and also a Bose X
    Have you noticed any difference in the issue between the two headsets?
    Becky Teerink

Same symtoms with both headsets,and front or rear jacks

Same symtoms with both headsets,and front or rear jacks
    I know we talked about this and we are sure glad to fix it when you come up, but could you remind us what the specific symptoms are? Does it seem like a squelch issue?
    I just spoke with another customer who recently had what sounds like a similar issue. He found that adjusting the squelch in the SL40 helped a lot.
    1) Press and hold MON button for about three seconds to reach the System Function.
    2) Turn the Large, outer knob until "Mic1 Squelch" is displayed.
    3) Turn the Small, inner knob to adjust squelch. In this other case, "10" worked well.
    4) Do same thing for "Mic2 Squelch".
    Let us know, I heard that the noise-cancelling headsets are more sensitive. Thanks.
    Last edited by Becky Teerink; 01-28-2010 at 03:17 PM.
    Becky Teerink

I have becker radio not garmin. Seems more a VOX issue than squelch but what do I know.The VOX seems to be to sensitive which cuts off the last part of words. I have made sure that the mics are right up close to the lips. And I have a PM in another plane with manuel adjustments and it works fine with these headsets. What I discussed with you before is the electronic noise through the 696 when strobes or lights are on .This is a different issue. so yes I will have both these items on my list when I bring my cub by there this spring. Thanks Royce

I have becker radio not garmin. Seems more a VOX issue than squelch but what do I know.The VOX seems to be to sensitive which cuts off the last part of words. I have made sure that the mics are right up close to the lips. And I have a PM in another plane with manuel adjustments and it works fine with these headsets. What I discussed with you before is the electronic noise through the 696 when strobes or lights are on .This is a different issue. so yes I will have both these items on my list when I bring my cub by there this spring. Thanks Royce
    That's right, you have the Becker Com. That squelch is also adjustable, and the factory preset is supposed to be 130 but the one I just checked on our production line was at 75 (from the factory). From what I understand, the VOX issue is related to the mic sensitivity.

You might try this:
    1) Turn Becker Com off.
    2) Hold the mode key (MDE) pressed and at the same time switch on the unit.
    3) "Sql" will be in the window. Turn the knobs (big knob = increments of ten, little knob = increments of 5) until you see "130".
    4) Press STO to store setting.
    Becky Teerink

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Teerink View Post
    Have you noticed any difference in the issue between the two headsets?
    Royce, A couple of more suggestions after you set the Becker squelch if needed.
    1) I found that due to the high ambient cockpkit noise especially at full throttle I could not find a happy medium to balance the Bose and the Zulu when using them together. That said I found the Zulu's much better at passive noise reduction due to the full ear seal and the cups are titanium and better at keeping noise out soooooooo all in all the noise reduction in the Zulu over the Bose I found superior. Therefore I sold my Bose on Ebay and bought a second set of Zulus and am able to balance the cockpit levels betweem then well.
    2) I also had intermittent transmission on the Bose that could not be controlled and confirmed with Bose that they could not set or reset any mike gain within the headsets. However the Zulus DO have a mike gain control on the mike itself under that little black cap and you can adjust the gain and the internmittent transmission goes away. Regards Gary

Gary, great info, THANKS! We'll start recommending Zulus more vigorously with new aircraft. Now if I could just get them to send me the demos they agreed to last summer at OSH...
    Randy Lervold