Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Defrost Fans

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Defrost Fans

Every plane I have built I have added Vantec Tornado fans. They haul the heat out from under the panel in the summer to keep the instruments cool and do a great job of clearing the window in the winter. I just bought two and looks like they will fit nicely on each side of the down tubes. I have not seen any CC with fans, does the windows not fog up on a cold winter day while waiting for the engine to warm up? Is there any reason why I should not do this on the CC?
    Last edited by TroyBranch; 01-26-2016 at 08:03 AM.

Default Re: Defrost Fans

The windshield does fog up.
    Last edited by Clay Hammond; 01-27-2016 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    Every plane I have built I have added Vantec Tornado fans. They haul the heat out from under the panel in the summer to keep the instruments cool and do a great job of clearing the window in the winter. I just bought two and looks like they will fit nicely on each side of the down tubes. I have not seen any CC with fans, does the windows not fog up on a cold winter day while waiting for the engine to warm up? Is there any reason why I should not do this on the CC?
    I fly a lot in the winter.
    The trick is to open both windows until you are on takeoff roll!
    That is the only way to keep them from fogging.

Sounds like the cub is no different than any other plane. I will deffinately add the fans then. A clear window with the windows shut sounds a little warmer

Troy, where are you going to locate the fans?
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

I have always put a separate switch for the fans. At idle and -20c in my RV10 the side window fog up but the front stays nice and clear with them on waiting for the temps on the engine to come up at idle. I expect the same in the CC

Each side of the down tubes have a void above the Radio and the AP control. The plan is there, fairly tight to the wind screen. I have the G3X panel. I will not cut the holes until I can really make sure it will fit. But my investigating show it will work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    Each side of the down tubes have a void above the Radio and the AP control. The plan is there, fairly tight to the wind screen. I have the G3X panel. I will not cut the holes until I can really make sure it will fit. But my investigating show it will work fine.
    Im wondering what you're referring to as the 'down tubes'? The two V fuselage tubes between the pilot and windscreen?

On my EX I put a Y in a scat tube coming up from a hole I cut in the floor plenum. The Y branches to each side and hot air will heat the windscreen on the right and left. A butterfly valve directs air from the floor to the Y.

It it works pretty well but fans would increase the volume.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    On my EX I put a Y in a scat tube coming up from a hole I cut in the floor plenum. The Y branches to each side and hot air will heat the windscreen on the right and left. A butterfly valve directs air from the floor to the Y.

It it works pretty well but fans would increase the volume.
    Hi Dan:

Do you have any photos on how you did that? I was thinking that a fan at the front of the floor board would help move heated air onto the windshield while taxiing. I'm going to put mine on skis as well.

Also, I just read your build log again while looking for a fastener for my baggage compartment so that I don't need a screw driver. Would those fasteners you used on your baggage door work on the factory extended door?

Thanks,
    Gregg
    Carbon Cub EX CCK-1865-0092

Quote Originally Posted by GreggG View Post
    Hi Dan:

Do you have any photos on how you did that? I was thinking that a fan at the front of the floor board would help move heated air onto the windshield while taxiing. I'm going to put mine on skis as well.

Also, I just read your build log again while looking for a fastener for my baggage compartment so that I don't need a screw driver. Would those fasteners you used on your baggage door work on the factory extended door?

Thanks,
    Gregg
    I should have some pictures on my desk computer. I'll look this week.

Those are are wing head Southco fasteners and there are two sizes. If I remember the sizes correctly the big ones, like I used on my baggage door, are #85s and the small ones are #82s. I used the small wing heads on the cowl oil access door too.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011