Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Defrost Fans

Default Defrost Fans

Every plane I have built I have added Vantec Tornado fans. They haul the heat out from under the panel in the summer to keep the instruments cool and do a great job of clearing the window in the winter. I just bought two and looks like they will fit nicely on each side of the down tubes. I have not seen any CC with fans, does the windows not fog up on a cold winter day while waiting for the engine to warm up? Is there any reason why I should not do this on the CC?
    Last edited by TroyBranch; 01-26-2016 at 08:03 AM.

Default Re: Defrost Fans

The windshield does fog up.
    Last edited by Clay Hammond; 01-27-2016 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    Every plane I have built I have added Vantec Tornado fans. They haul the heat out from under the panel in the summer to keep the instruments cool and do a great job of clearing the window in the winter. I just bought two and looks like they will fit nicely on each side of the down tubes. I have not seen any CC with fans, does the windows not fog up on a cold winter day while waiting for the engine to warm up? Is there any reason why I should not do this on the CC?
    I fly a lot in the winter.
    The trick is to open both windows until you are on takeoff roll!
    That is the only way to keep them from fogging.

Sounds like the cub is no different than any other plane. I will deffinately add the fans then. A clear window with the windows shut sounds a little warmer

Troy, where are you going to locate the fans?
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Each side of the down tubes have a void above the Radio and the AP control. The plan is there, fairly tight to the wind screen. I have the G3X panel. I will not cut the holes until I can really make sure it will fit. But my investigating show it will work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    Each side of the down tubes have a void above the Radio and the AP control. The plan is there, fairly tight to the wind screen. I have the G3X panel. I will not cut the holes until I can really make sure it will fit. But my investigating show it will work fine.
    Im wondering what you're referring to as the 'down tubes'? The two V fuselage tubes between the pilot and windscreen?

On my EX I put a Y in a scat tube coming up from a hole I cut in the floor plenum. The Y branches to each side and hot air will heat the windscreen on the right and left. A butterfly valve directs air from the floor to the Y.

It it works pretty well but fans would increase the volume.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Yes the two v fuselage tubes. Just finishing up the boot cowl. Once I get it all figured I will post some pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    On my EX I put a Y in a scat tube coming up from a hole I cut in the floor plenum. The Y branches to each side and hot air will heat the windscreen on the right and left. A butterfly valve directs air from the floor to the Y.

It it works pretty well but fans would increase the volume.
    Hi Dan:

Do you have any photos on how you did that? I was thinking that a fan at the front of the floor board would help move heated air onto the windshield while taxiing. I'm going to put mine on skis as well.

Also, I just read your build log again while looking for a fastener for my baggage compartment so that I don't need a screw driver. Would those fasteners you used on your baggage door work on the factory extended door?

Thanks,
    Gregg
    Carbon Cub EX CCK-1865-0092

I did something a little different.. I cut a hole in the top of the fiberglass heat duct in the floor panel just aft of the firewall. I cut a 1 1/4" piece of aluminum tubing on a 45 degree angle and inserted it into the hole with the angle cut facing forward into the hot air flow. I attached the tube to the firewall with Adel clamps. I then mounted a Black aluminum eyeball vent in the center of the glare shield just aft of the windscreen. Connected the aluminum tubing to the eyeball vent with a piece of SCAT tubing. The eyeball vent swivels and has the twist on/off knurled neck. Twist it on for defrost and point in the direction needed. Twist it off when not needed. Sure, it will starve the cabin heat a little but at least you can see forward.