Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Defrost Fans

  1. #1
    Senior Member TroyBranch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Posts
    280

    Default Defrost Fans

    Every plane I have built I have added Vantec Tornado fans. They haul the heat out from under the panel in the summer to keep the instruments cool and do a great job of clearing the window in the winter. I just bought two and looks like they will fit nicely on each side of the down tubes. I have not seen any CC with fans, does the windows not fog up on a cold winter day while waiting for the engine to warm up? Is there any reason why I should not do this on the CC?
    Last edited by TroyBranch; 01-26-2016 at 09:03 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Clay Hammond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    264

    Default Re: Defrost Fans

    The windshield does fog up.
    Last edited by Clay Hammond; 01-27-2016 at 08:07 AM.
    _______________________
    Clay Hammond

  3. #3
    Senior Member Joseph206's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Liberty, NY
    Posts
    107

    Default Re: Defrost Fans

    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    Every plane I have built I have added Vantec Tornado fans. They haul the heat out from under the panel in the summer to keep the instruments cool and do a great job of clearing the window in the winter. I just bought two and looks like they will fit nicely on each side of the down tubes. I have not seen any CC with fans, does the windows not fog up on a cold winter day while waiting for the engine to warm up? Is there any reason why I should not do this on the CC?
    I fly a lot in the winter.
    The trick is to open both windows until you are on takeoff roll!
    That is the only way to keep them from fogging.

  4. #4
    Senior Member TroyBranch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Posts
    280

    Default Re: Defrost Fans

    Sounds like the cub is no different than any other plane. I will deffinately add the fans then. A clear window with the windows shut sounds a little warmer

  5. #5
    Senior Member stede52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Carnation, WA
    Posts
    198

    Default Re: Defrost Fans

    Troy, where are you going to locate the fans?
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

  6. #6
    Senior Member TroyBranch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Posts
    280

    Default Re: Defrost Fans

    Each side of the down tubes have a void above the Radio and the AP control. The plan is there, fairly tight to the wind screen. I have the G3X panel. I will not cut the holes until I can really make sure it will fit. But my investigating show it will work fine.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Dan L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NW MT
    Posts
    583

    Default Re: Defrost Fans

    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    Each side of the down tubes have a void above the Radio and the AP control. The plan is there, fairly tight to the wind screen. I have the G3X panel. I will not cut the holes until I can really make sure it will fit. But my investigating show it will work fine.
    Im wondering what you're referring to as the 'down tubes'? The two V fuselage tubes between the pilot and windscreen?

    On my EX I put a Y in a scat tube coming up from a hole I cut in the floor plenum. The Y branches to each side and hot air will heat the windscreen on the right and left. A butterfly valve directs air from the floor to the Y.

    It it works pretty well but fans would increase the volume.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

  8. #8
    Senior Member TroyBranch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Posts
    280

    Default Re: Defrost Fans

    Yes the two v fuselage tubes. Just finishing up the boot cowl. Once I get it all figured I will post some pictures.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Member GreggG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    49

    Default Re: Defrost Fans

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    On my EX I put a Y in a scat tube coming up from a hole I cut in the floor plenum. The Y branches to each side and hot air will heat the windscreen on the right and left. A butterfly valve directs air from the floor to the Y.

    It it works pretty well but fans would increase the volume.
    Hi Dan:

    Do you have any photos on how you did that? I was thinking that a fan at the front of the floor board would help move heated air onto the windshield while taxiing. I'm going to put mine on skis as well.

    Also, I just read your build log again while looking for a fastener for my baggage compartment so that I don't need a screw driver. Would those fasteners you used on your baggage door work on the factory extended door?

    Thanks,
    Gregg
    Carbon Cub EX CCK-1865-0092

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Bend, Oregon
    Posts
    14

    Default Re: Defrost Fans

    I did something a little different.. I cut a hole in the top of the fiberglass heat duct in the floor panel just aft of the firewall. I cut a 1 1/4" piece of aluminum tubing on a 45 degree angle and inserted it into the hole with the angle cut facing forward into the hot air flow. I attached the tube to the firewall with Adel clamps. I then mounted a Black aluminum eyeball vent in the center of the glare shield just aft of the windscreen. Connected the aluminum tubing to the eyeball vent with a piece of SCAT tubing. The eyeball vent swivels and has the twist on/off knurled neck. Twist it on for defrost and point in the direction needed. Twist it off when not needed. Sure, it will starve the cabin heat a little but at least you can see forward.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •