Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Defrost Fans

Default Re: Defrost Fans

Quote Originally Posted by GreggG View Post
    Hi Dan:

Do you have any photos on how you did that? I was thinking that a fan at the front of the floor board would help move heated air onto the windshield while taxiing. I'm going to put mine on skis as well.

Also, I just read your build log again while looking for a fastener for my baggage compartment so that I don't need a screw driver. Would those fasteners you used on your baggage door work on the factory extended door?

Thanks,
    Gregg
    I should have some pictures on my desk computer. I'll look this week.

Those are are wing head Southco fasteners and there are two sizes. If I remember the sizes correctly the big ones, like I used on my baggage door, are #85s and the small ones are #82s. I used the small wing heads on the cowl oil access door too.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Troy,
    Yes, computer fans have been put the in the glare shield of the EX (and SS) with reasonable results just as you'd expect. I don't recall which fans we used but feel free to give Stan Franz a call to see if he remembers. Stan runs our rebuild shop and can be reached at 509-248-9491.
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    I should have some pictures on my desk computer. I'll look this week.
    DSCN1830.jpg

This shows the valve. There is a scat type tube running up from the valve to a Y and then to two openings in the top of the boot cowl. I'm not finding a picture of the boot cowl proper.

Because I know someone will ask, I put my master cylinders on the front pedals and eliminated all rear controls. There is a Grove reservoir above on the inside of the firewall.

Looks great Dan. Is there enough airflow to keep the window clear while taxiing?

If you use the computer fan I'm assuming you just use ambient cabin air? Do you wire it so that it turns on with the master, or do you switch it?

Thanks for your help!

Gregg
    Carbon Cub EX CCK-1865-0092

I have always put a separate switch for the fans. At idle and -20c in my RV10 the side window fog up but the front stays nice and clear with them on waiting for the temps on the engine to come up at idle. I expect the same in the CC

Quote Originally Posted by GreggG View Post
    Looks great Dan. Is there enough airflow to keep the window clear while taxiing?
    Gregg
    Ive never had a fogging issue. And on skis you would soon have a problem if there was going to be one.

After measuring and checking and measuring many more times, I drill the fan holes. I hope they are right!

There was clearance in front of the V tubes and the windscreen. This way the warm air will pour on the middle area quite close to the windscreen.

The other pictures is the fan itself. These have worked the best over any fan I have used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The installed view. I will etch and paint the grill black to eliminate glare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool! Will you keep them on all the time or will they be on their own switch?

Quote Originally Posted by Cubrath View Post
    Cool! Will you keep them on all the time or will they be on their own switch?
    They will have their own switch. I mainly use them to clear out the heat under the panel in summer and cold winter days to clear the window. Also on those cool damp mornings before the sun can hit the windscreen.