Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G3x and the virb xe

Default G3x and the virb xe

I sent these q's to Dickey and also wanted to bounce them off of the board. Here they are:

1) Is the connection between the Virb and the G3X bluetooth or some other proprietory type connection ?

2) Can I remotely control the virb (start/stop/etc) from the G3X.

3) If yes to question 2 - Does the G3X give me the same remote control capabilities as the Garmin Virb remote control app on my iphone ?

4) If yes to question 3, Can/should I connect both my iphone (via WiFi) and the g3x simulateously to the Virb ?

5) Virb question: Can I connect my Bose headset (newer model w/enhance bluetooth) to the Virb via bluetooth instead of a hardwire connection ?

Thomas Autrey
    KHEG

Default Re: G3x and the virb xe

Since I just discovered that you still need a hardwired (composite RCA video) connection to get video to show up on the G3X inset, I will probably have to mount the camera inside so controlling it remotely wont be necessary anyway. I'm gong to do the FX build so maybe I can get the guys at CC (before it goes to cover) to fish some composite cable through the wing near the mounting point (strut) and adapt/connect it to the back of the G3X.

Thomas Autrey
    KHEG

Quote Originally Posted by tautrey View Post
    Since I just discovered that you still need a hardwired (composite RCA video) connection to get video to show up on the G3X inset, I will probably have to mount the camera inside so controlling it remotely wont be necessary anyway. I'm gong to do the FX build so maybe I can get the guys at CC (before it goes to cover) to fish some composite cable through the wing near the mounting point (strut) and adapt/connect it to the back of the G3X.
    I had not researched it yet, but was under the impression the G3X and camera would talk to each other via blue tooth? There is a video input on the G3X but I was under the impression that was an alternative, not sole means, of connection.

Just wondering ing what your source of info was?

running a cable should not be difficult even on a complete plane.

Bluetooth (or ranter ANT+ or something odd) is only for communicating with the camera, not for the video stream. You do need to run the composite cable.

I thought I was going to be smart and got a MiniUSB extension cable, connected one end to the camera and attached the component cable to the other end. No luck - Garmin must use a propriety pinout for the video feed.
    N80DB #119 E-LSA / G3X Touch

Quote Originally Posted by tautrey View Post
    I want to do this too.

The G3X is able to connect to several different devices via Bluetooth, but streaming video via Bluetooth is not one of the options. The only way I know of to stream wireless video from the VIRB is to the Garmin Pilot app.

To get video from the VIRB to the G3X, you need:
    1) The VIRB Audio-Video Cable. It splits into 4 leads - RCA, Mini USB, External Mic, Stereo Audio Out.
    2) A coax cable with a BNC on one end and a RCA on the other.
    3) For audio in your video, you'll need the Headset Audio Cable.

Once the camera is configured and connected via the composite video connection on the back of the G3X display, you should be able to see your video feed on the video input page. You'll be able to start/stop recording by tapping the button on the screen and also take pictures.

This is my experience with the VIRB Elite. I have not worked with the new VIRB EX but from what little I've seen of it so far, it looks like it may have a little better set up process.

-Matt-
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Matt Dickey
    Manager,

Arrow Re: G3x and the virb xe

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    The G3X is able to connect to several different devices via Bluetooth, but streaming video via Bluetooth is not one of the options. The only way I know of to stream wireless video from the VIRB is to the Garmin Pilot app.

1) The VIRB Audio-Video Cable. It splits into 4 leads - RCA, Mini USB, External Mic, Stereo Audio Out.

Once the camera is configured and connected via the composite video connection on the back of the G3X display, you should be able to see your video feed on the video input page. You'll be able to start/stop recording by tapping the button on the screen and also take pictures.

This is my experience with the VIRB Elite. I have not worked with the new VIRB EX but from what little I've seen of it so far, it looks like it may have a little better set up process.

-Matt-
    Correct, however there is another way to mix headset audio into the video recording without hard-wiring the headset. You can link up a bluetooth headset (ie: Bose A-20) via bluetooth and the Garmin remote app via Wifi which gives you start/stop and mic switching (ext, int, and off).

Thomas Autrey
    KHEG

One thing I have noticed about my Virb XE is that the battery life may be reduced by using WiFi for the phone remote app and blue tooth for the headphones simultaneously. I turned off both functions and will be using the manual recording switch on the camera to see if it increases battery life. Can anyone out there concur with theses findings?

I.M.H.O. It would seem that simply turning a rec switch on/off so I can focus on flying is the easiest/safest way. Remember the K.I.S.S. rule.
    Last edited by tautrey; 01-24-2016 at 08:20 PM.

Thomas Autrey
    KHEG

Here's a link to my 1st. short video made with my VIRB yesterday. Control was flawless through the G3X. A little less so with the APP. I didn't try it through Garmin Pilot but will soon and report back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX_ONbet-qk

David Morris
    N508DM
    2015 Carbon Cub

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post

-Matt-

Matt:

Would this be the audio video cable to which you refer? Is the RCA connector being held in the pic what we need to connect to the back of the G3X?

VirbCable.jpg

If indeed that is the connection, where does one go to find a male BNC / male RCA jumper cable? I'm guessing the local Home Depot salesperson would be totally clueless and the Radio Shack salesperson almost as clueless. Like me.

Garmin's documentation is a bit sparse, or perhaps I have been looking in all the wrong places.

Thanks!

Chuck