Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying with your dog(s)

Question Flying with your dog(s)

I have seen a few airplanes come through the shop with a pair of "Mutt Muffs" in the back seat instead of or in addition to a second headset. Those of you that fly with your dogs care to share a little how to? Like, how do you take them for their first ride, just tie them in and go or have a second person to monitor them the first few flights? And how hard is it to get them used to the Mutt Muffs? That kind of thing. Pictures would be neat to.

I have always wondered about this, and one of my dogs in particular I think would really enjoy it but I don't know about just tossing him in the back and going for it. I'm guessing a rear stick cover and some kind of restraint system might be a good thing-oh, and keeping the doors/windows closed, right?

Just kind of feeling out the ins and outs of introducing a canine to flying.

Pete D.

Default Re: Flying with your dog(s)

Pete, I'm with you in being curious about this. I can't bring myself to load our Jack Russell terrier "Ginger" into the plane without hearing protection. I can't believe the high noise level won't damage a dog's hearing, especially with repeated exposure.

With all this in mind I just bought a set of Mutt Muffs but haven't tried them yet. Heck, how would we know if they work?
    Randy Lervold

I used to fly with my Lab in the back of my Citabria in Alaska. Only way to get my bird retriever to the hunt. He didn't seem to mind the noise and could still hear my whistle commands. He got pretty eager to get out when he saw the ground coming up.

All my friends that had bird dogs in Alaska took them along and never provided ear protection. I suspect my dog would have disposed of ear protectors in short order. You either took your dog along or you were swimming after your own downed birds.

I asked this same question on SC.org a few years ago....the responses there, from DVM's, was that there could/would be hearing loss without some type of protection. If someone is successful with the mutt muffs, please let me know....I really want to be able to fly with my setters...and they have "selective" hearing anyway. In terms of restraint....I was going to use their kennel. They love to ride in those because it ultimately means "good things are going to happen". Ralph

I have used Mutt Muffs with some success. I regularly fly with a Jack Russel and a red healer. The dogs can rub them off and I started by having them wear the muffs around the house,and I kept putting them back over the ears till the dogs finally gave up and laid down and went to sleep with them on. Do they work? They must offer some protection,but they are certainly not ZULUS for dogs. I tie the larger dog in the plane so it cant freak out and jump on me or the controls. the small dog is free to move about,but that can be a distraction as well. I have found they sleep really well above 10,000ft. ha. Royce

I use mutt muffs with success, we fly about once a month. She had a bad turbulence experience early and I try to make it fun. I use a harness they make for cars, and clip her to the rear seat belt. She has enough room to move around a little.

Now I have purchased the rear stick cover does anyone have any installation experience. I received the cover with no instructions and no hardware. When I asked CC for more information they sent me the POH revision for single pilot adjustments - not what I need.

Anyone?
    Thanks.
    Diana Votaw
    N110CV

The cover is an easy installation, remove the rear seat and the appropriate screws that the lip covers. Use a rivet aligning tool to locate the holes properly and then drill through the cover. Put the screws back and you are done. I would not try to locate the holes without the tool. Here is a link:
    http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/de...?PRODUCT_ID=65

If you want I will send you mine, if you promise to return it.
    Ken
    Last edited by cityrancher; 07-07-2015 at 10:49 AM.

Hey there,
    I had the same worries about taking my dog with me when flying.
    So I called a veterinary professor here in Austria and he explained it to me as followed:

A dog does have a DIFFERENT sense of hearing. It is not that a dog hears better regarding to loudness. He is able do hear a higher spread of frequencies and higher tones.
    He even can block out noises he is not interested in and perfectly sleeps while loud music is on. But if you open a bag of treats, he will be awake within milliseconds.
    The same with it's sense of smell. He only smells what he really wants to. Or otherwise... you get the picture!

If you test Mutt Muffs on yourself you will see that they barely make any difference at all.
    As Jim Richmond told me his dog doesn't accept the Muffs and always gets rid of them. So he tries to fly with low RPMs when his Aussie is with him.
    And that should do the trick really. And since in a Carbon Cub you don't really (or only for max 20 secs) need full take off power, cursing with "Door-Open-RPMs" will be just fine.
    But don't let them open! Dogs are stupid enough to jump out!! Happened multiple times!

In Austria, and the Alps in general, our Alpine Rescue Teams take their dogs with them in helicopters all the time. No problem!

So in this frequencies your dog hears pretty much the same volume than you do. But keep in mind that you still have a headset!

Hubinho
    Last edited by Hubinho; 07-07-2015 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokette View Post
    Now I have purchased the rear stick cover does anyone have any installation experience. I received the cover with no instructions and no hardware..
    Diana,

The rear stick cover utilizes 4 existing #10 stainless steel screws in the floorboard. As mentioned by a previous poster, the cover must be match-drilled to your particular airplane. You will need a #12 strap duplicator; if you are unable to borrow one, they can be purchased HERE.

To install the cover:

1. Remove the rear seat tube
    2. Remove the rear control stick by removing the AN3 bolt securing it to the stub and unplugging the trim switch harness (if equipped).
    3. Temporarily lay the cover over the stub and orient it as shown in the first photo below. (NOTE: The cover in this photo has already been drilled.)
    4. Note the position of the 4 stainless steel screws under the tabs (on the sides of the cover); see second photo.
    5. Remove the cover.
    6. Remove the four stainless steel screws identified in step 4.
    7. Lay the cover back in place and match drill to the floorboard using a #12 strap duplicator.
    8. Lift off cover and remove drill shavings.
    9. Install cover to floorboard using 4 stainless steel screws.

If you have additional questions, please call my direct line at (509)367-5200.

Thanks,

Jon

IMG_3828.jpgIMG_3829.jpg

Excellent. Thanks for the help. I promise to return it, and I will let you know if I can't find one at my airport (probably can).

A child's hearing is way more sensitive than an adults. They can hear a greater range of frequencies and they will definitely get hearing damage under loud continuous noise. You can not change the dog's biology. It seems that what your vet said might be true, but that loud continuous noise will still cause damage in the long run.
    Diana Votaw
    N110CV