Thread: Seat base slider

Default Seat base slider

A while ago I decided I wanted to make a different attach mechanism for the front seat to seat base. I made a few sketches and had a few requirements. It needed to use the 10/32 studs molded into the seat bottom to attach to the seat and the bottom section should bolt to the seat base. After deciding what looked like it might work I drew up the parts in SolidWorks and made the parts.

The white plastic sliders are UHMW 1" x 1" stock. The four steel arms are 4130 and the 3/16" dia. Retaining pins are steel dowel pins.

The new parts are about an even trade weight wise for the original parts.

Were I to do it again I'd make a few changes but the overall design is working well and seems more secure and easier to reposition for me. I thought others might be interested so made this post.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

milling the UHMW parts.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Default Re: Seat base slider

I bet they are really smooth to operate Why did you go with the new slides?
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

That is a great idea and nicely done.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by stede52 View Post
    I bet they are really smooth to operate Why did you go with the new slides?
    I had trouble with my original system Steve. After a long flight last summer I got out of the plane and had my hand on the upright part of the seat pushing myself out. The seat pushed away from me as I did so. Odd I thought. I found that 3 of the 4 pins had come lose and the seat was being held in position by one pin. I always found it difficult to re-position the seat after removing it for battery or ELT maintenance too.

Maybe my original aluminum parts are different than most Carbon Cubs? Mine is an early one, serial #11, so perhaps some refinements have been made. Or maybe I installed them incorrectly?

Either way I decided to make something that worked better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    I had trouble with my original system Steve. After a long flight last summer I got out of the plane and had my hand on the upright part of the seat pushing myself out. The seat pushed away from me as I did so. Odd I thought. I found that 3 of the 4 pins had come lose and the seat was being held in position by one pin. I always found it difficult to re-position the seat after removing it for battery or ELT maintenance too.

Maybe my original aluminum parts are different than most Carbon Cubs? Mine is an early one, serial #11, so perhaps some refinements have been made. Or maybe I installed them incorrectly?

Either way I decided to make something that worked better for me.

There is only supposed to be 2 pins. The forward fasteners were supposed to be bolts with bushings in the slot in the seat base with nut/washer inside...
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    There is only supposed to be 2 pins. The forward fasteners were supposed to be bolts with bushings in the slot in the seat base with nut/washer inside...
    Pete, that might be the way they are now but mine came with two pairs of pins lanyarded together (four pins). And the kit instructions were questionable at that point on seat installation.

With bolts in the front slots how would you get access to the nuts for complete seat removal?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    Pete, that might be the way they are now but mine came with two pairs of pins lanyarded together (four pins). And the kit instructions were questionable at that point on seat installation.

With bolts in the front slots how would you get access to the nuts for complete seat removal?
    Remove the belly pan and reach way up there from underneath the plane to hold the nut while an assistant cranks the bolt. If there is an easier way, perhaps someone will share it with us.

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
    Remove the belly pan and reach way up there from underneath the plane to hold the nut while an assistant cranks the bolt. If there is an easier way, perhaps someone will share it with us.

This is the only way I know. Sort of a PITA but doesn't need to be removed very often if at all.

Caution, don't over tighten the bolts as it will swell the bushings and make them too big to slide in the slots.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    This is the only way I know. Sort of a PITA but doesn't need to be removed very often if at all.

Caution, don't over tighten the bolts as it will swell the bushings and make them too big to slide in the slots.
    This must be a different system than mine. My slots are 3/16" wide so a AN3 bolt would not fit in a bushing and the bushing then into the slot. Sounds more better.

And as I mentioned above my seat rails, attached to the seat half, came with 4) 3/16" dia. pins that were screwed to the aluminum parts - two on each side.
    Last edited by Dan L; 12-16-2015 at 01:14 PM.

Great idea. The seat is very hard to reposition!! That's a point cubcrafters needs to work on. I made mine go back more , my dang long legs! Thanks for sharing GW