Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ccx-1865/g3x question

Default Re: Ccx-1865/g3x question

So once again, the "performance requirements" have been met by the GPS 20-A as a WAAS position source for ADS-B, but would this hold water to meet the requirements for navigational purposes into IMC??...I don't know, but it sure would be nice if it did. So I guess this begs the question...."what's the penalty if you were to get caught during a ramp check with "inadvertently" navigating through IMC with equipment that you "thought" was approved for IFR/IMC flight"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tautrey View Post
    A simple solution would be to enlarge the cutout for the com radio in the exec glass panel for the FX and install a GTXnav/com or GTN650. The face dimensions of these units are just slightly larger and wouldn't require much effort. Routing the additional antennae would be easy if done during the build phase (before covering). Nav antenna on the vertical stab and GPS antenna in the belly. This would give you a TSO'd/certified IFR nav source. I would be a be to do the required VOR intercepts and tracking to maintain IFR currency that the G3x/20A combination can't provide. I wouldn't have to rent a pt23 bird just to maintain IFR currency.
    If this option is not viable or practical then it will probably be a deal killer for the FX which would be really sad. I would end up in a Husky or a Top Cub or even worse - a Wichita Bug smasher.

A simple solution would be to enlarge the cutout for the com radio in the exec glass panel for the FX and install a GTXnav/com or GTN650. The face dimensions of these units are just slightly larger and wouldn't require much effort. Routing the additional antennae would be easy if done during the build phase (before covering). Nav antenna on the vertical stab and GPS antenna in the belly. This would give you a TSO'd/certified IFR nav source. I would be a be to do the required VOR intercepts and tracking to maintain IFR currency that the G3x/20A combination can't provide. I wouldn't have to rent a pt23 bird just to maintain IFR currency.
    That's the beauty about experimental...you can design your panel any way you like. I think a GTN 650 would be a nice complement to the CC. You mentioned placing the GPS antenna on the belly....that may not be a good idea. Comant makes a nice GPS/Com antenna ( I think it's the CI 2590) that you'd mount on top of the airplane where the build plans instruct you to do so. Also, if you installed a GTN 625-650 you wouldn't need the GPS 20-A because the GTN could interface with the ES transponder and provide your position source for your ADS-B out.

Quote Originally Posted by Treetopflyer View Post
    You mentioned placing the GPS antenna on the belly....that may not be a good idea.
    You're right about that. I forgot about the need to be able to have line of sight with the bird in space. I am curious how the Comnant would mount on a rag and tube airframe. Guess I'll have to take a look at how some of the installs are done on the Top Cub or similar.

If you went with the GTN 650 , I think the only other equipment you'd need is an audio panel. Remember, you'll also be able to delete the GTR 200 Com radio because the GTN 650 has a com built into it. You'll also need the GAD 29 which provides an ARINC 429
    data interface between your G3X system and
    various IFR-capable GPS navigators, such
    as the GTN 650. This is just a small box that's mounted remotely and it's similar in size to the GPS 20-A. I'm sure if you're planing on going with CubCrafters FX program they'll be able to design your panel any way want. Like the song says "all it takes is looks and a whole lot of money"!!

You're right about that. I forgot about the need to be able to have line of sight with the bird in space. I am curious how the Comnant would mount on a rag and tube airframe. Guess I'll have to take a look at how some of the installs are done on the Top Cub or similar.
    If you use the VHF/GPS combo antenna mentioned above, it would get mounted to the aluminum turtle deck just behind the skylight. This is the location we are using for the antenna used with the GPS 20A.

-Matt-
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Matt Dickey
    Manager,

Like the song says "all it takes is looks and a whole lot of money"!!
    I think you are right. The whole idea sounds too cost prohibitive. I think I'll just stick with their standard Exec glass panel package and rent a 182 at the local fbo to meet VOR int/tracking currency requirements.

...I am curious how the Comnant would mount on a rag and tube airframe...,
    There was another post on that installation but I think it mounts in the same location that the standard com antenna mounts up on the turtle deck. I believe a small modification had to be made regarding the holes, but I don't think it was a big deal. I'm sure you can search previous post and read about it and see the pictures that were included in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    If you use the VHF/GPS combo antenna mentioned above, it would get mounted to the aluminum turtle deck just behind the skylight. This is the location we are using for the antenna used with the GPS 20A.

-Matt-
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks Matt. Since the 20A is waas capable, can you load a GPS LPV approach into the g3X ?

If you went with the GTN 650 , I think the only other equipment you'd need is an audio panel.
    Another option would be the GNC255 nav/com in place of the stock com radio. The dimensions are just slightly different. I would think that no audio panel should be needed since there is only one radio. I would use this in conjunction with the remote mounted GPS 20a.