Thread: New for the East

Default Re: New for the East

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    Went up to the KNIK for a Flyin on Tues afternoon. Just kinda of took it easy Wednesday we just stayed within 80 miles of Anchorage. We few the Swentka and the Susitna river went to Talkeetna for Dinner,stopped by the restoration shop where they built the Airman show raffle cub.
    Nice Chuck! Great pics of Karen.

Awesome, keep the videos coming.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Cubdriver2 View Post
    Awesome, keep the videos coming.

Glenn
    Day 4 will be flying the glaciers 👍
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Awesome videos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glaciers were pretty cool. You can’t take a picture and do it justice. Some of these are huge those tents looked like specs of dirt on the glacier. I had a picture of them cross country skiing with ropes tied to ea other guessing so they could lower there last will and testament down to them if one of them fell down a crevasse.
    Last edited by Springloaded; 05-23-2018 at 04:35 AM.
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com

Anchorage to Valdez was the most challenging weather we dealt with. My original intent was to move over and base at Valdez on Wednesday or Thursday get to practice a little and fly around there till the show. But with the weather being terrible there I didn’t want to get stuck on the ground there when I could be flying around Out of Anchorage.
    Fri came and the winds were 50-60mph so going over by Thompson pass wasn’t a option,local told me I would need a helmet to make that trip. So talking to Brad who was at Valdez suggested if I was going to attempt it I would need to do the Whittier pass. We looked at a pass cam and looked like it was doable. We loaded up and headed to Valdez(couple locals really didn’t want us to go that route). We came around the corner at Turnagain Arm and we had 60mph right on the nose. When we got to the pass it was solid to the ground. Seeing a hole above with plenty of room to get down behind us. I decided to try and go over, at 9100’ (15Deg) I could finally see a hole on the other side and elected to continue. Once we got down it was relatively smooth,it was incredible view but the cliffs went straight down to the ocean not much for any emergency problems,as we entered the Narrow in to Valdez it was raining hard as I ever been in, I called Brad he Said it was good there (for Valdez) all the heavy rain was just in the pass ,so we plowed thru it 100 over the water. Looking back pretty sure all this wasn’t one of my better decisions. Once there we registered for everything got a hotel,climbed back in the planes and flew 60 miles to the beach for the poker run.(like I hadn’t flown in the rain over enough water for one day). Saturday weather was about the same we didn’t have any wind to speak of so the scores weren’t very good. Sunday was absolutely perfect for our trip back to Anchorage.
    Last edited by Springloaded; 05-25-2018 at 10:28 AM.
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    Some shots from day1-2
    I hate bums like you, keep the videos coming

Glenn

Post Re: New for the East

We flew home Sunday from Valdez Bob and Shane airlined out Sunday night. Karen and I leave Tues am. With only one more day to fly I was thinking it be cool to fly to Kodiac Island suppose to be tons of bears there. Monday morning A friend called me from Kenai and he invited us to go to Seldovia have lunch with them , which is on the way to Kodiac. We found some real cool cabins along the way. There was a guy camping under a blue tarp not sure why he wasn’t in one of the cabins, the one we stopped at appeared to be public use. As we got closer to Seldovia I was looking on my GPS at how far Kodiac was across the open water.(over 40 miles). What the weather was doing in Anchorage to get back and I kept getting this feeling that this probably isn’t a good idea. Then I realized I only had one life vest in the plane(what was Karen gonna use :-).
    Seldovia was cool, a local guy came over to look at my plane and offered us a ride to town in his trailer behind the 4 wheeler. Sitting eating lunch I thinking I had probably done enough in the last 2 weeks that I really didn’t need to go to Kodiac that bad, so we went over to Homer afterwards walked the Spit and flew the beach back to Anchorage looking at Seals,Otters and Water falls.
    What a great trip.
    Chuck
    Last edited by Springloaded; 05-27-2018 at 04:17 AM.
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com

Great images and videos Chuck. And very nicely edited too. I enjoyed following along.

So so it kind of sounds like you’re leaving the Cub in Alaska? Did you sell it there?
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    Great images and videos Chuck. And very nicely edited too. I enjoyed following along.

So so it kind of sounds like you’re leaving the Cub in Alaska? Did you sell it there?
    My plan all along was to leave it for the summer,make another trip out there to play around then figure how to get it home. If I fly it home I figured I try to stop by say hi to you on the way.
    (Great excuse honey I left the Cub out in AK I’m gonna need to go get it)
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com