Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternator Problem....I think

Default Re: Alternator Problem....I think

I keep forgetting about the EFIS data, I'll do that this morning.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Just an update on my charging issue, it was actually the ring connector at the top of the alternator that broke and the rubber boot kept the wire in place so I didn't find the issue until I decided to remove the alternator for testing. Replaced the ring connector and its back charging again. There was never an issue with the fuse, I inadvertently blew the fuse myself when I cross posts on the capacitor. When I replaced the fuse it started charging because the rubber boot on the alternator was holding the wire in place until I rolled it out of the hanger the next day and found it stopped charging again. All is good
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Quote Originally Posted by stede52 View Post
    Just an update on my charging issue, it was actually the ring connector at the top of the alternator that broke and the rubber boot kept the wire in place so I didn't find the issue until I decided to remove the alternator for testing.
    Thanks for the update, connections seem to be an issue, maybe from simple vibration. Looking under the rubber boots when the cowl is off is a great idea. The amp meter will be the first indication of a problem, it should only be positive with the engine running, so setting the Skyview to warning at zero amps or below may help identify an impending failure.

Quote Originally Posted by DRL View Post
    Thanks for the update, connections seem to be an issue, maybe from simple vibration. Looking under the rubber boots when the cowl is off is a great idea. The amp meter will be the first indication of a problem, it should only be positive with the engine running, so setting the Skyview to warning at zero amps or below may help identify an impending failure.

That is exactly what I did, Thanks
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA