Thread: Epenage irregularities.

Default Epenage irregularities.

Hi fellow CC builders
    Can anybody shed some light on the misalignment issue or share my frustrations of my empennage components.This is the second set of Univair produced stabilisers fitted that have jigging problems resulting in 1.3* angular difference L/H to R/H at the tip rib on installation resulting in almost 1/2" misalignment at the elevator horn.Any ideas,I have tried bending one stabiliser but believe this is not the answer as the fabric is now slightly deformed and quite possibly has jinked the rib profile which doesn't sit well with me.Appreciate any worthwhile feedback
    regards
    Kenny Edwards
    Australia.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Epenage irregularities.

Kenny,

Im guessing you are building an EX. I can't seem to find it but I think I remember seing that CC switched from buying the EX tail feathers from Univair and are now making them in house. One of the factory guys would have to confirm this. Mine are univair and the gap between the stab and the elevator are not perfect. The gap is about 1/4" wider at the front on one side. It' s cosmetic and no one else will ever notice but me.

They should come perfect! However, it woud have probably flown fine, just cosmetic. If you bent it enough to wrinkle the fabric I don't know if I would trust it. I would obviously talk to Mitch.
    Last edited by Cubrath; 11-18-2015 at 04:33 PM.

I had major problems with Univair empenage components myself. Contrary to the manual, I recommend installing these components BEFORE covering and paint. I'm sure glad I did as mine were so bad there was no way they could be connected at the horns (see picture). Mitch was great about sending me an entirely new set and they fit better. They still had the issue you mention here, but not quite as bad (only 1/4 inch). I checked my current supercub and looked at a couple of others in the area and they were off about as much. So I concluded I just had to live with them.
    If CC starts making their own I'm sure they will fit better. Everything on my kit that they made themselves has fit perfectly so far.IMG_0194.jpg

Add me to the list of those that found less than perfect alignment of the Univair parts.

When test fitting the tail feathers before covering I found that by switching the four sections left to right there was one combination that had only a minimal misalignment. I marked them and the proceeded with covering.

Shortly I will be installing the covered and painted sections. It will be interesting to see how they line up

Angry Re: Epenage irregularities.

Mine was exactly the same way it doesn't seem to make any difference flying but it sure is aggravating.