Thread: Small hole patching

Question Small hole patching

Not sure how it happened, but I have a small hole on the underside of my left wing (approximately one half inch in diameter). Does anyone know where I might find a patch kit? I'm using duct tape a temp fix.

Rick

Default Re: Small hole patching

Rick,

In the delivery packet for new aircraft, we include the portions of fabric that are cut out of the inspection holes after the aircraft is painted. You can cut an appropriately sized patch out of one of these painted portions using a pair of pinking shears. You would then glue the patch in place using Loctite 330 adhesive, which we also provide in the delivery packet with new aircraft. You will want to use a judicious amount of the glue and immediately wipe off any excess that squeezes out as it can soften your paint.

Hope this helps.

Default Re: Small hole patching

I've patched a few holes in my horizontal stab like Jon described. It would be nice if a round dollar sized patch were available that had a tapered edge, like inner tube patches, in a few generic colors.

I punched a hole in my horizontal stab on the very first flight. I landed on our parallel grass strip and noticed later in the day the hole. I had no idea what I might have hit until a few weeks later when I was mowing the strip. That summer the paved runway had been remarked and apparently the crew that laid out the markings used some stakes and string to align the numbers and stripes. And unfortunately for me they didn't get them all picked up and I rolled over a stake without knowing it. I found it and some string with my mower.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011