Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Torque tube.

Default Torque tube.

Ready to rivet the aft torque tube to the control. The manual says use green loctite and the kit is shipped with 401 loctite. Should I rivet and let it wick in? Or do I get green loctite. The 401 drys to fast to use like the manual shows. I assume the glue is because there is less rivets on the aft torque tube? What have you guys done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Torque tube.

I just bought a bottle of the green stuff
    EV

Per Mitch,

The green loctite is more of a bearing type. They want us to use it to take up any slack in the tube.

The 401 is for the fuel fittings.

My instructions in the fuselage manual for the EX on page 54 shows a picture of red Loctite and calls for RED Loctite. I guess I'll use Loctite 271 which was shown in the list of materials in the first few pages of the manual.

Jim Morrical

271 is just a thread locker. You want retaining compound loctite.

I am having no luck getting the aft mast seated over the torque tube. It came off with lots of work after I drilled out the holes but now that I want to put it back on it just binds up after 1/8". Should I take a little off the tube with a Scotch-Brite pad? I don't have an extra pair of hands to put more muscle into it and fear it would seize up after LocTite was on it. Then I don't know what would happen?

Are you talking about LocTite 609, 620 or 680? I just looked it up and am confused as ever.

Jim Morrical
    Last edited by jmorrical; 08-22-2016 at 05:32 PM.

Make sure you deburr all the holes on BOTH side. It should then slide on. I would not open up the cnc part, you want it as tight as you can...this is the reason for the retaining compound, to take up any slack. These torque tube connection got loose on earlier models before they used the retaining compound from what I have read in the SB's. You want this right.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrical View Post
    I am having no luck getting the aft mast seated over the torque tube. It came off with lots of work after I drilled out the holes but now that I want to put it back on it just binds up after 1/8". Should I take a little off the tube with a Scotch-Brite pad? I don't have an extra pair of hands to put more muscle into it and fear it would seize up after LocTite was on it. Then I don't know what would happen?

Are you talking about LocTite 609, 620 or 680? I just looked it up and am confused as ever.

Jim Morrical

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Loctite 680 442-68015 10ml Retaining Compound, High Strength and Viscosity, Green Color

Thanks. I just found this Service Bulletin (SB) on the torque tube that Troy mentioned that clears it up.

http://www.cubcrafters.com/technical_publications/23/view

Jim Morrical
    Last edited by jmorrical; 09-02-2016 at 10:08 AM.

Default Torque tube.

With a simple explanation as to why they are telling you to do something it would make that manual much better. Many places they leave you hanging, do not add this bolt until later for example and says no more. You will get through it, I hope one day they get time to improve it. It is a tough go in some places...you will get through it.