Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ads b question

Default Re: Ads b question

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    I asked this question in an email to the FAA and this is their response:

"The policy for non-compliant avionics after the mandate will likely remain as it is today i.e., SIL and SDA set to zero regardless of the airspace it's operated in. Owners of these aircraft could still request an ATC deviation authorization per 91.225 to operate in rule compliant airspace after the mandate. As long as these conditions are met, AFS would not contact an owner of a non-compliant aircraft."

SIL is Source Integrity Level
    SDA is System Design Assurance

Both of these are pieces of the info that is sent on an ADS-B "Out" broadcast by your aircraft and they tell that ground system whether the system is compliant or not.

From the response I got, it sounds like currently they don't plan to contact anyone for not having a compliant system as long as they are not flying in the mandated airspaces. They are also saying that you can still get clearance into ADS-B airspace if you follow the regs in 91.225 (g).

Matt

Thank you Matt.

In layman's terms, I would interpret that as meaning that a Cub with the G3X system, but lacking the GPS20A or proper WAAS GPS source, would be a fully functional ADSB system as long as you did not venture into airspace where a proper GPS source was required. In other words one would have all the benefits of being able to see other traffic, etc., but just need to avoid Class B and C airspace and keep it below 10,000 with the Cub Crafters G3X system as currently configured.

Right?

Chuck

That is correct Chuck. Avoid B, C, and space above 10,000' and you'll be OK.

Matt

That is correct Chuck. Avoid B, C, and space above 10,000' and you'll be OK.

Matt
    Thanks Matt. So glad that your expertise is available..

Question: adding the GPS 20A looks like a simple upgrade. Does CC have any plans to add it as an option to the kit?

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
    Question: adding the GPS 20A looks like a simple upgrade. Does CC have any plans to add it as an option to the kit?
    It is already listed on our order form as an upgrade option to the Executive Glass Touch panel for 2016 Carbon Cub FX's and SS's. The MyPanel and World VFR panels may follow.....stand by. I have been assisting our Engineering department with incorporating it into the 2016 offerings.

I don't see it yet on the EX-2 order form so that would be a good question to ask Mitch.

Cub Crafters Avionics can also install the GPS 20A in existing Sport, Carbon SS, FX, and EX Cubs. I would just need to know what transponder you are currently equipped with to know what equipment will be required to complete the ADS-B upgrade.

Matt

Matt,

Do you know which antenna you plan to use with GPS 20A? Do you mount in the same place as existing antenna, or back on the "turtle" area?
    N80DB #119 E-LSA / G3X Touch

We are currently testing an antenna that Garmin's manual lists as an option. I know that's vague but I'm not ready to say until we are sure that it has been proven to work for on our aircraft. Stand-by.......we should know shortly.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Matt Dickey
    Manager,

Great - please share when you have the info available. I plan to do the retrofit later this winter (currently have a G3X I self-installed http://www.cubcraftersforums.com/sho...Panel-Retrofit)

In addition to details regarding the GPS antenna, wonder where Cub Crafters mounts the GPS 20?

A picture would be worth a thousand words. . . .

We are currently testing an antenna that Garmin's manual lists as an option. I know that's vague but I'm not ready to say until we are sure that it has been proven to work for on our aircraft. Stand-by.......we should know shortly.

Matt
    Matt, any update on this?

Seems that starting Jan 4th FAA will not send traffic data back to GPS units with SDA 0 (like the G3X internal GPS).

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgTSO.nsf/0/45845cd583ad3cd686257d62006b3b3e/$FILE/TIS-B_Service_Change_Summary.pdf

I have asked Mitch about thus as well. It would be nice to add the GPS 20 before the boot cowl goes on in the next week or two.